Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Spawn Points

Default New Spawn Points

Hmm!
    I'm going to express some positive, query and negative comments on the new Spawn Points.

Firstly the positives which is after looking over these new points and from the discussions here on this forum we have the issue of west bound trains for the new Bakersfield Sub fixed. We have some other points requested in place as well, namely the BNSF Sanborn sidings and UP Ansel sidings which have gone along way to isolate Mojave and Barstow for single player. The UP - Daggett WB is a nice addition as well.

Now the query namely with the Mojave Sub - Quantico - NB Main spawn point.

I'm not quite understanding why a NB point was not placed some where from the south side of Edison, namely from Sandcut to Allard which would have placed it a nice distant from Bakersfield such as for example UP Saco siding and the new Una siding EB spawn point. If you have the Quantico point active and are operating UP Y-BK50 at Edison, then effectively it is spawning behind you, instead of in front of you such as at Sandcut or Addard etc.

And finally my negatives thoughts are directed at myself because I wanted to compile a list of spawn points and email them to John but I failed to do that, and because now that we have these points the first thing that has occurred to me is that to fully isolate Mojave we need a SB spawn point at Cable Xover, and for Barstow I think an EB spawn point at Signal 474 between Lugo and Frost is needed, something I overlooked when thinking about making smaller isolated areas for single players.

I'm hoping if John reads this that he will consider these spawn points if another update for Run8V2 is going to done and if not then perhaps including them in V3, certainly the new points have gone along way to improving things for single player, I just think it needs a little bit more fine tuning so to speak.

I think the NB spot there deals with any mainlines, coming into Bakersfield. I don't mind it but I understand your objection.

Sanborn is an alternative with fleeting NB.

John if your reading this just a suggestion, and I don't know if it's possible or not. Since all of us would play things differently potentially or have their favorites.

Is there a way of creating a spawn point editor SIMILAR to what you have set up for the industries??

I'm totally cool with no world editor, but hope to see more of those smaller territories come online in the near future. Haven't had a chance to play or purchase the new add on territory but I do look forward to giving it a spin when my life stops spinning out of control

Thanks

Sean

"New spawn points"?!!

Were these added to the recent update?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

yes ...keep up...lol
    Work Safe play hard

The add ons and new spawn points work well nicely. The new spawn points have enhanced the single player experience.

I'm doing a live stream on them right now.

Thanks

Sean

BTW Quantico I totally agree now that I've seen it at the very least should of been a bit further east to allow FULL SJVR. Just having it east of Edison would indeed help.

The other one that would be nice for Mojave only operations is a spawn point heading SB somewhere around Cable. The reason I say that is they've done a good job isolating Mojave NB and WB (off BNSF). Having less of the Mojave Sub to worry about dispatching would allow plenty of operation in Mojave alone.

If they want to make another quick buck I think the obvious add on next is Trona Railroad. I might be very interested in this one just like I purchased the 20 buck add on tonight.

Thanks

Sean

Originally Posted by SurvivorSean

Is there a way of creating a spawn point editor SIMILAR to what you have set up for the industries??
    I did think about a spawn editor as well, but after giving it some thought I wondered what impact it would have on multiplayer worlds with the ability to create spawn points on the fly and it's effect on signals as well..
    I had also thought about a sound trigger that could be placed as easily as the industry editor does, and to select custom sounds that could be triggered such as railway chatter recorded of the railroad live streams, and edited with Audacity sound program or pehaps factory sounds in industry sidings etc.

Originally Posted by SurvivorSean

The other one that would be nice for Mojave only operations is a spawn point heading SB somewhere around Cable. The reason I say that is they've done a good job isolating Mojave NB and WB (off BNSF). Having less of the Mojave Sub to worry about dispatching would allow plenty of operation in Mojave alone.

If they want to make another quick buck I think the obvious add on next is Trona Railroad. I might be very interested in this one just like I purchased the 20 buck add on tonight.
    And there we have it.

This why I wanted a spawn point at Cable Xover to narrow down Mojave to literally yard crew shunting duties with light dispatching duties.
    The addition of Trona Railways that I have mentioned wanting before would be the almost the final piece in getting Mojave area up to full operating potential and give single players a small manageable world.
    I would like to see Trona Railways released as a complete package to include scenery, industry and their SD40T-2, SD40-2 full locomotive fleet in their patched paint schemes.

Yeah I might of missed that in your replies. I also wasn't worried too much about the loss of Edison in BAK, but when I realized that NB spawn point for BAK was north of it makes it difficult to use that main. The only thing I think that can be done if I recall is have SJVR use the closest track out of Magunden and run against the flow of traffic to Quantico. They could then cross over on the manual switches to get back to the proper side. This will also shunt Quantico's signal to stop until restored to normal. If an AI train was to pop up otherwise you would have a potentially dangerous and unrealistic condition of having a train spawn right in front of a train moving at speed NB from Magunden. The spawn itself WILL NOT work if the train is already there, but crashing at high speed to a back of a standing train will do some major coupler damage and cause other nasty errors in the program (or at least it used to when I've had this happen). Sandcut NB would be a good right hand running spawn point as double track can be fleeted if necessary.

BTW in regards to the spawn editor in MP I don't think it will be an issue and signals should not be an issue either. This is because when joining a server you can have different industry configurations it's the host that controls everything. The only issue I see is the screen that allows players to select a spawn as a client. However like the hump configurations you may be able to pull from the host. it's certainly not as easy as just adding more spawn points, but it is a possibility. The easiest solution is just add more spawn points that pleases as many as they can.

So far I'd say they are off to a very good start, and my workaround for Magunden is at least manageable. I'll have to go in and check to make sure right now.

Thanks

Sean

Just an update for that workaround I mentioned above as I took a quick look now.

Magunden SJVR workaround as mentioned will work fine, you just need to give an SJVR NB movement authority to operate left hand running to Quantico. You could say the crossover is out of service to make this prototypical. What wouldn't be prototypical is a sudden spawn at Quantico NB but at least it will not be dangerous to crashing the game.

Edison is a bit trickier but can be done. BTW you can still have SB traffic move in this area from Bakersfield area spawns or AI launches etc. Just line up the set off track in Marcel Siding and have all SB signals from Sandcut to Marcel Siding fleeted. So for Edison the crossover to run left hand running would be closer to the north end but not include the entire switching district and industry just outside of town. Magunden does not have a return crossover for left hand running. To make this work you would have to back up your Edison train all the way to the crossover on the middle north end. They would have to wait in line for an opening in traffic between here and Quantico. Prototypically I can't explain why this would happen but at least it makes everything possible.

So there you have it, not perfect but not too much of a stretch either. Personally I'm going to work the more relaxing Mojave lifestyle (though that grade has always been a challenge to work that yard). I believe all locals can be done in 24 hours no problem. As for SJVR I think they have 2 crews at least or don't work everything daily. But SJVR would be for those who love switching and play with AI traffic at the same time.

Again great update and add on!

Thanks

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by westerngy View Post
    yes ...keep up...lol
    I rarely read the change-log.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0