Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Can Help You Set Up Your Throttle Quadrant Levers To Use With OR

Default I Can Help You Set Up Your Throttle Quadrant Levers To Use With OR

Hello,

After receiving so much from the people here I finally get to "give back." I have always been dissatisfied with running a train with a computer keyboard. For years I looked for an alternative. I knew about the RailDriver, but I neither had the room on my desk or bank account to accommodate it without eliminating my marine, truck and flight simulation opportunity. While not perfect, it was easy to use my existing hardware with the three of them. Now I can use all of them plus my train simulating activities. The RailDriver's reputation is well known, so I won't add anything here.

Thanks to a member of a different forum who goes by "Jester," I now have the solution in his scripting expertise wit AutoHotKey. His original code was written for the Saitek throtquad, but as a programmer myself, I was able to modify it to use with my CH Products throtquad; in fact, I made the modifications to match the RailDriver with some small concessions. At least, if I ever get a RailDriver I won't have to relearn the levers.

Essentially, if anyone is interested you will have to do the following, but it is not difficult and I can help.
    Here is what needs to happen in the order listed below...
    1. Download AutoHotKey (AHK) from the official website at, https://autohotkey.com/ and install it according to the instructions. It is free and uncomplicated.
    2. Take a little time to run the included scripts to familiarize yourself with AHK. Don't be surprised if you come up with other ways to use AHK.
    3. Open the included "Controller Test Script.ahk" script (its just a text file) and read the information how to use it. Write down each reading of each axis and buttons on all your controllers. This is needed for the script which you will have to edit.
    4. I recommend setting up your throtquad levers to match the RailDriver. If you want to arrange things differently you will need to decide how you want the levers set up.

Basically, the script and AHK convert axis lever movements to virtual keyboard key presses and releases. Keep in mind this is a straightforward process which, if done carefully and correctly will net you the ability to run a train more intuitively and realistically. You will get to push and pull levers which is a lot more fun than just "typing," eh?

Compulsory Disclaimer - AutoHotKey, the scripts and even my help should in no way cause any problems on your computer, but you accept all responsibility for anything you do to your computer.

Whew! I'm glad that;s over with. Having said the above, if you don't stop the script after you are done your computer may print out wwwwwwwwww, sssssssssss, aaaaaaaaa, dddddddd, etc. if you move your controls. Remember the script causes key presses, so if you see this just stop the script. I would get in the habit of starting.stopping the script as needed. It's quick and painless.

So, is anyone interested?

Take care.
    Last edited by dedwa15237; 06-07-2019 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Removed PS's
    ~ Calvin

"Some say, "There is no such thing as a stupid question." Hmm... maybe so, but you will have to put up with my stupid questions until I learn to ask intelligent ones." ~ C.J.W.

A word to the wise... I recently lost 10 yrs of data because both my PC and my ext. backup hard drive failed at roughly the same time. I will be mirroring three or more storage drives going forward. It will cost a fraction of the almost $2K for professional clean room recovery.

[Disclaimer]
    I realize there must be voluminous tomes of information on this and other trainsim websites. I am not being lazy and will do what research I can when able. Short-Term Memory Loss and getting confused presents a difficult challenge. I can follow "checklists" okay, but I get very confused very quickly when trying to amass multi-matrix information like multiple posts in multiple threads on multiple websites. I hope this makes sense? I am very grateful for all guidance.

Please only one thread at a time... No duplicates please....

Thank you
    Dave Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by dedwa15237 View Post
    Please only one thread at a time... No duplicates please....

Thank you
    Sure, but please explain how posting the same message in unrelated boards is duplication? After all, I was only offering help. There are different controls in the sims. Also, I wished you would have done me the courtesy of asking which one I would have preferred keeping. You deleted the wrong one. It would serve better in the MSTS board. Can you move it there and change "OR" to MSTS" in the subject line? Would it be better to move it to the general board?
    ~ Calvin

"Some say, "There is no such thing as a stupid question." Hmm... maybe so, but you will have to put up with my stupid questions until I learn to ask intelligent ones." ~ C.J.W.

A word to the wise... I recently lost 10 yrs of data because both my PC and my ext. backup hard drive failed at roughly the same time. I will be mirroring three or more storage drives going forward. It will cost a fraction of the almost $2K for professional clean room recovery.

[Disclaimer]
    I realize there must be voluminous tomes of information on this and other trainsim websites. I am not being lazy and will do what research I can when able. Short-Term Memory Loss and getting confused presents a difficult challenge. I can follow "checklists" okay, but I get very confused very quickly when trying to amass multi-matrix information like multiple posts in multiple threads on multiple websites. I hope this makes sense? I am very grateful for all guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by cjkawt View Post
    Sure, but please explain how posting the same message in unrelated boards is duplication? After all, I was only offering help. There are different controls in the sims. Also, I wished you would have done me the courtesy of asking which one I would have preferred keeping. You deleted the wrong one. It would serve better in the MSTS board. Can you move it there and change "OR" to MSTS" in the subject line? Would it be better to move it to the general board?
    Hi Calvin,

I like your attitude with sharing - thanks...

I've always felt the same - I don't want a rail driver and a keyboard just sucks all the enjoyment out of the sim for me...

I've got a decent CH HOTAS setup that I wanted to use... I've also tried to get the ORTS team to implement full Direct X joystick support - which would open the door for us to use ANY joystick device which would be a HUGE gain to the community... It would also allow ORTS to recognize the actual position of the joystick instead of having to count emulated keystrokes...

Like you - I searched for a long time until someone recommended "Pinnacle Game Profiler" software - it's cheap and it works quite well... It still just emulates keystrokes but once you get the hang of it - it's manageable and far better than a keyboard - I have it configured for my CH HOTAS and I've used it for years... All the joystick controls are built in so no custom coding required... I have all my train control functions mapped and very rarely need to remove my hands from the HOTAS... Moving levers, joystick axis, and real switches is so much more satisfying than a keyboard...

Worth a look if you're not familiar...

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the flowers.

I actually tried Pinnacle Profiler and Padstarr and was never able to make it work. Can you PM me the text of your your data file? A simple cut/paste would be fine. One thing about the AHK is it is free and Pinnacle and Padstarr require licensing, albeit a small sum. Another reson I lean toward AHK is as a geek there is A LOT more I can do with AHK besides simming. Having said that, the fact you have been using PP for years is intriguing. Thanks for your comments.
    ~ Calvin

[Disclaimer]

Again, I reread on both postings you posted on each, they are essentially close to the same. MSTS will be a thing in the past, as more and more people are leaning to Open Rails. OR is basically an better upgrade than MSTS as many users are replacing MSTS based textures and tools to OR. As a general rule for this forum, again, no duplicates.. Everyone will read one simple post in one forum, easier for the community, as there has been lots of complaints that people posted info on the wrong, same duplicate forum and causes confusion. One big message would suffice.
    Dave Edwards

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the flowers.

I actually tried Pinnacle Profiler and Padstarr and was never able to make it work. Can you PM me the text of your your data file? A simple cut/paste would be fine. One thing about the AHK is it is free and Pinnacle and Padstarr require licensing, albeit a small sum. Another reson I lean toward AHK is as a geek there is A LOT more I can do with AHK besides simming. Having said that, the fact you have been using PP for years is intriguing. Thanks for your comments.
    Hi Calvin,

Will do - when I get home this weekend - PGP recognized all my CH Products including the Quad Throttle... I've used same for other sims as well...

Understand - what you use is a personal choice and to each his own - it's nice to have choices...

Regards,
    Scott

Okay, forum policy. Got it. Thank you for clarifying. I still would have preferred to leave the post in MSTS. Read on.

As far as OR vs MSTS, I don't agree. Granted we are dying off, but there are a lot of us older people who like MSTS for its simplicity. At 61, I'm one of them. I even still like FS9 better than FSX and P3D as well as having a preference for XP9 (maybe a little XP10 too). I guess I'm just a dinosaur.
    ~ Calvin

[Disclaimer]

Hi Calvin,

Even though I'm able to and do run OR and FSX, like you, I sometimes prefer to run MSTS too as well as FS9 on my trusty old XP game system.
    There's enough archived content for both these older sims to last several lifetimes.
    MSTS and FS9 are realistic enough for me. I don't see much advantage in the enhancement in graphics or realism in using FSX most days (and I'm recently retired from a 40 yr/20,000 hr flying career to boot!). Just a thunk...

Phil

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the flowers.

Hi Calvin,

I looked at PGP - doesn't seem to have a flat file export - here's the file I did export... My Quad Throttle wore out a while back - this is just for the Fighter Stick and Pro Throttle... The Pro Throttle is the Train Brake and the Joystick X and Y are Throttle/Regulator and Reverser...

PGP Open Rails.zip

Regards,
    Scott