Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Can I Find A List of Programming Variables in MSTS?

Default Where Can I Find A List of Programming Variables in MSTS?

I have need of accessing variables in MSTS for a personal project (I may share later). Is there a list somewhere?
    ~ Calvin

"Some say, "There is no such thing as a stupid question." Hmm... maybe so, but you will have to put up with my stupid questions until I learn to ask intelligent ones." ~ C.J.W.

A word to the wise... I recently lost 10 yrs of data because both my PC and my ext. backup hard drive failed at roughly the same time. I will be mirroring three or more storage drives going forward. It will cost a fraction of the almost $2K for professional clean room recovery.

[Disclaimer]
    I realize there must be voluminous tomes of information on this and other trainsim websites. I am not being lazy and will do what research I can when able. Short-Term Memory Loss and getting confused presents a difficult challenge. I can follow "checklists" okay, but I get very confused very quickly when trying to amass multi-matrix information like multiple posts in multiple threads on multiple websites. I hope this makes sense? I am very grateful for all guidance.

Any form of magnetic storage must be considered temporary.
    In other words, all your mirroring can be instantly destroyed all in the flash of a lightning strike.

Burn your backups to optical storage media or risk loosing it all.

regards,
    ............Vince ..............
    ...... Author NECv4 .......
    .... LIRR BUILD PHOTOS ....
    .............LIRR VIDEO.............
    ...... Eschew Obsfucation ......

On the The Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor there is a Tablet. On it is written:
    "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
    the wretched refuse of your teeming shore, send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
    I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Any form of magnetic storage must be considered temporary.
    In other words, all your mirroring can be instantly destroyed all in the flash of a lightning strike.

Burn your backups to optical storage media or risk loosing it all.

regards,
    Thank you for the advice and even noticing my blurb. I will pay heed.

Anyidea where I can find a list of the MSTS variables?
    ~ Calvin

"Some say, "There is no such thing as a stupid question." Hmm... maybe so, but you will have to put up with my stupid questions until I learn to ask intelligent ones." ~ C.J.W.

A word to the wise... I recently lost 10 yrs of data because both my PC and my ext. backup hard drive failed at roughly the same time. I will be mirroring three or more storage drives going forward. It will cost a fraction of the almost $2K for professional clean room recovery.

[Disclaimer]
    I realize there must be voluminous tomes of information on this and other trainsim websites. I am not being lazy and will do what research I can when able. Short-Term Memory Loss and getting confused presents a difficult challenge. I can follow "checklists" okay, but I get very confused very quickly when trying to amass multi-matrix information like multiple posts in multiple threads on multiple websites. I hope this makes sense? I am very grateful for all guidance.

There is a file called loadstr.hdr in the Utils/FFEDIT folder. That is a list of variables, but not all are used.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    There is a file called loadstr.hdr in the Utils/FFEDIT folder. That is a list of variables, but not all are used.
    Thanks for the heads-up.

Take care.
    ~ Calvin

[Disclaimer]

What kind of variables? There are a bunch in the TECHDOCS folder, hidden on Disc 2 of MSTS

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    What kind of variables? There are a bunch in the TECHDOCS folder, hidden on Disc 2 of MSTS
    I'm not exactly sure. It's kind of an, I hope I'll recognize it when I see it" kind of thing. There are a lot of things I want to manipulate (I hope).
    Thanks for the heads-up on Disk 2. I didn't know about those.
    ~ Calvin

[Disclaimer]

Hi Calvin,
    If you can't describe what you're looking for, it's not very easy for us to help!!

If, by "variables", you mean values within the MSTS program (train.exe), then, I think you'll be out of luck. That is, unless you have access to the original source code (very unlikely!) or you've, somehow, got access to the workings of the author of the MSTSBin patch.

On the other hand, why not have a look at Open Rails, where the source code is freely available.

If you're not a programmer, but want to see what parameters .eng and .wag files can accept, there is Eng_and_wag_file_reference_guide within the afore-mentioned TechDocs and a manual by Rudolf Richter & Joe Realmuto, obtainable here :
    https://the-train.de/downloads/entry...g-manual-2-0e/ (although it's from a German site, the manual is in English!).

Cheers,
    Ged

Hi Ged,

Yes, you are right. It is unfair and not helpful to not outline what I am doing. I'll try and do better. Thank you for reminding me.

So, what am I after? Well, let's call it "Poorboy's Rail Driver." LOL

I am using AutoHotKey to try to convert CH Products throtquad lever axis actions to key presses. The goal is to change the MSTS experience from typing commands on a keyboard to mimicking the controls of a RailDriverr.

A person by the name of Jester did so with Run8 for the Saitek throtquad. I modified his script (with his help) to use the CH Products throtquad and added an additional axis. I still have one to add then it will be good.

I am trying to do the same with MSTS and eventually OR and the rest of the trainsims that use typing keys to control the trains. While I have some familiarity with Run8 I am ignorant with the variables in MSTS, etc., hence my request. The success and sheer pleasure I have experienced with being able to adapt the Saitek's scripts has kind of lit a fire and a desire to share. Using levers instead of keys to control trains without having to make an additional $200-ish investment makes for one happy engineer!

Let me know if you need any further information.

If I remember correctly RailDriver had to use the info that was present in the MSTS HUD in order to work which made if very slow to respond.
    Regards,

Eric