Thread: New to Open Rails Route question Please?

Default New to Open Rails Route question Please?

Hi everybody.

At the moment I have Open Rails Installed with the New PRR EAST V2 Route within.

I also have within the Open Rails set up my !MSTS Folder with all the Default Routes and Default Stock plus a couple of Routes, Dorset Coast,Thames Mersey & Mid East Plus, with all their Stock and Activities. At the moment all is running Fine.

My Question Please, Can I remove My MSTS Folder and Install Any or all of the above Routes Directly into Open Rails from their original CD's or do I need MSTS present within Open Rails.

Hope this makes sense.

Many thanks

Paul.

Hi Paul,
    You do not install anything INTO Open Rails!
    Open Rails will run any routes, provided they are within the standard MSTS folder hierarchy :
    'Root' Folder (give it an appropriate name) which contains the following 4 folders:
    GLOBAL
    ROUTES
    SOUND
    TRAINS which contains the following 2 folders:
    CONSISTS
    TRAINSET
    You can have as many 'Root' folders as you want, but each must have a unique name (OR calls them 'profiles').

You do not need MSTS to run Open Rails, BUT, many routes use files from MSTS; once a route has been installed, and any installme.bat file run, you should be able to move the complete route folder into the ROUTES folder in another 'Root' folder, but I don't recommend it. Note that you might also need to copy the contents of the original GLOBAL folder into the GLOBAL folder of the new 'Root' folder.

Much rolling stock, especially their cabviews and sounds use files from the MSTS default rolling stock, so that should be included in any new 'Root' folder's TRAINSET folder.

If I were you, as your Dorset Coast, Trent - Mersey and Mid East Plus routes are running well, DO NOT change where they are - Open Rails is quite happy running them as they are.

Cheers,
    Ged
    Last edited by slipperman; 06-14-2019 at 09:18 AM.

If you have different locations make sure you add the locations in Open Rails.
    Go to Options then Content.
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Hi Rick, I may have asked this question incorrectly?

I need to know what the Content Folder in Open Rails should Contain, otherwise how does Open Rails find what Route in MSTS I Intend to run.

Many thanks

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by pcohen View Post
    Hi Rick, I may have asked this question incorrectly?

I need to know what the Content Folder in Open Rails should Contain, otherwise how does Open Rails find what Route in MSTS I Intend to run.

Many thanks

Paul.
    The A:\Open Rails\Content folder is the place where Open Rails stores the graphics that it uses. It has NOTHING to do with MSTS content.

You should NEVER install/store MSTS content, i.e. the MSTS Global Trains Routes folders, anywhere under the Open Rails folders. Because the ORTS updater could delete all files/folders in the Open Rails folder when installing an update.

Open Rails keeps track of the locations of your MSTS content by you making entries on the Contents tab in the OR Options.
    Charles

Hi Charles, thanks for reply.

Now I'm totally confused, if I do not put the Route I want to run into the Options/Content Folder as done with PRR EAST v2 how does Open Rails recognise what I want to Run? Or do the Routes I want to Run have to be Installed as MiniRoutes as the PRR EAST is Installed?

Many thanks

Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by pcohen View Post
    Hi Charles, thanks for reply.

Now I'm totally confused, if I do not put the Route I want to run into the Options/Content Folder as done with PRR EAST v2 how does Open Rails recognise what I want to Run? Or do the Routes I want to Run have to be Installed as MiniRoutes as the PRR EAST is Installed?

Many thanks

Paul.
    You don't put ROUTES into the OR Content list. You put Installs. You tell OR the Path to the ROOT folder of the install.
    For instance in the OLD (NEVER to be used again) MSTS Default it was:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator

Now my installs are in:
    A:\MSTS
    A:\PRR-ER
    A:\WP3-Raw
    A:\MSTS MINI ROUTES
    A:\SH-ORTS
    A:\3dTrains Test bed

Realize some Installs may only contain one Route.
    Charles

Hi Charles, thanks again for reply.

Have to go out shortly so will continue with this Tomorrow.

Many thanks for help.

Regards

Paul.