Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Static Consists not showing in Activity

Those "errors" are not errors. They are information lines telling you that the required data was not found in the eng file, and that a set of default data was added from the steam tables that form part of the OR package. They only affect the overall efficiency of the steam locomotive and can be considered as the "icing on the cake" where steam eng files are concerned.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

Quote Originally Posted by bootednancy View Post
    To Geep775:

Thanks for the new info about ConBuilder......have used earlier versions of the program and found it good, except now with Open Rails, I have everything divided off into "mini routes" based on country or railroad(s), so ConBuilder has a little bit of a hard time dealing with that as it only responds to a program called Train Simulator. I would have to go and rename the mini-routes to Train Simulator everytime I needed to apply it.
    Whoa there, I don't know much about the early versions of ConBuilder, but with the version I have (6.2.3) you can point it to any installation with a "TRAINS" folder and it will work....I'm thinking that version 2.4.9 that geepster mentioned also works this way. MSTSmanager, RouteRiter, Conbuilder itself, and I believe a utility program that slipperman has in the library will all "point" ConBuilder to any OR profile, installation, or mini-route.

Moreover, I don't understand your reference to having to use the name "Train Simulator" --- the folder name AFAIK, has nothing to do with how ConBuilder works. It needs to find a "TRAINS" folder containing two folders - a "TRAINSET" and "CONSISTS".
    My knowledge of the inner workings of ConBuilder is not the best, so maybe someone with more experience will help.
    bandicam 2019-06-13 09-50-18-746.jpg
    Last edited by R. Steele; 06-13-2019 at 01:00 PM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

The only thing you need is to have a bogus file named Train.exe placed in the root of every mini-route... err.... ORTS installation. Then you can change the "MSTS Path" under the options tab in conbuilder to any of your mini-routes. Conbuilder never uses the Train.exe, it just needs to see it, and any bogus zero byte file named Train.exe is enough to fake Conbuilder into thinking its a MSTS installation when its not. Didn't the recent PRR-ER come with a Vince-supplied fake Train.exe? You could use that one, placing it in the root of your other mini-routes. Or you can use a copy of the real MSTS Train.exe, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    The only thing you need is to have a bogus file named Train.exe placed in the root of every mini-route... err.... ORTS installation. Then you can change the "MSTS Path" under the options tab in conbuilder to any of your mini-routes. Conbuilder never uses the Train.exe, it just needs to see it, and any bogus zero byte file named Train.exe is enough to fake Conbuilder into thinking its a MSTS installation when its not. Didn't the recent PRR-ER come with a Vince-supplied fake Train.exe? You could use that one, placing it in the root of your other mini-routes. Or you can use a copy of the real MSTS Train.exe, doesn't matter.
    Geepster please look at the pic that is in my post#12 --- I do not have a bogus train.exe file in the CSX folder...just the Raildriver calibration file, and the 4 required folders ( plus sub folders ) for OR. ConBuilder is also open and working...bogus train.exe file is not needed.

I just had a thought...is it needed for earlier versions of ConBuilder? The version I'm using is 6.2.3
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Whoa there, I don't know much about the early versions of ConBuilder, but with the version I have (6.2.3) you can point it to any installation with a "TRAINS" folder and it will work....I'm thinking that version 2.4.9 that geepster mentioned also works this way. MSTSmanager, RouteRiter, Conbuilder itself, and I believe a utility program that slipperman has in the library will all "point" ConBuilder to any OR profile, installation, or mini-route.

Moreover, I don't understand your reference to having to use the name "Train Simulator" --- the folder name AFAIK, has nothing to do with how ConBuilder works. It needs to find a "TRAINS" folder containing two folders - a "TRAINSET" and "CONSISTS".
    My knowledge of the inner workings of ConBuilder is not the best, so maybe someone with more experience will help.
    bandicam 2019-06-13 09-50-18-746.jpg
    Gerry,
    The early versions of ConBuilder looked for the Train.exe in the root folder that was pointed to.
    Older versions look for the proper subfolders.
    Charles

Thanks Charles, when I thought about it, I suspected it was something like that, apologies to geepster.

Default Static Consists not showing in Activity

Thanks for all the help and opinions on the various programs. Thanks BALDWIN for explaining about the steam loco warnings.

I have been working with ConBuilder 6.0, and now the unsupported version 6.4....as I use it only a little as most times I will manually edit the CON files or static object list if I have to change rolling stock. I know Gerry that in those versions, you had to "dupe" ConBuilder into a folder that was Train Simulator, you couldn't select others in mini-installs called something else. I don't see anything by Slipperman with a program jump on ConBuilder...I know he has one for Tony Formoso's TrainStore that will select other installs and call up only what is needed from them for a scenario.

Finally got the activity to show what was missing after banging away at the WAG and ENG files, so I am in the stage of running it successfully with just having to adjust the AI times here and there. It is worth the work Gerry, so try it.

NOW there's a part 2 to this I have to work up and get running.....but knowing a lot more about the OR Log has helped.

Doug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Doug,
    I don't see anything by Slipperman with a program jump on ConBuilder...

Please try MSTS_Swap (msts_swap_v1_5.zip) which, despite the file name, is v1.6

Cheers,
    Ged

...Finally got the activity to show what was missing after banging away at the WAG and ENG files, so I am in the stage of running it successfully with just having to adjust the AI times here and there. It is worth the work Gerry, so try it...Doug
    I've already started, decided to replace all the equipment with BLW_ZT stuff. So first thing I did was to make up a list of the WagonData lines and refine those to a workable, sorted list. Then start substituting using Search and Replace...easy enough, time consuming, but that is one aspect of a hobby. List is attached for those that want to try.
    OffTopic: To anyone...do invisiocars work in OR, like they did in MSTS...I thought not, but I'm not sure.

WagReplace.zip <<< wagon substitute list for activity "cdyard12.zip"
    Last edited by R. Steele; 06-14-2019 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks for all the help and opinions on the various programs. Thanks BALDWIN for explaining about the steam loco warnings.

I have been working with ConBuilder 6.0, and now the unsupported version 6.4....as I use it only a little as most times I will manually edit the CON files or static object list if I have to change rolling stock. I know Gerry that in those versions, you had to "dupe" ConBuilder into a folder that was Train Simulator, you couldn't select others in mini-installs called something else. I don't see anything by Slipperman with a program jump on ConBuilder...I know he has one for Tony Formoso's TrainStore that will select other installs and call up only what is needed from them for a scenario.

Finally got the activity to show what was missing after banging away at the WAG and ENG files, so I am in the stage of running it 4successfully with just having to adjust the AI times here and there. It is worth the work Gerry, so try it.

NOW there's a part 2 to this I have to work up and get running.....but knowing a lot more about the OR Log has helped.

Doug
    "Unsupported version 6.4" ?? When Joe Smith announced that sales of ConBuilder was ending ( see https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/showth...48#post1935648 ) he stated that the Support Forum would remain open. The last version offered and still available for download by registered users is 6.2.3. I have never heard of a version 6.4.

Since you have a version 6.x, have you tried to use MSTS Manager which is a part of the ConBuilder Suite of programs and is installed by the ConBuilder installer? MSTS Manager scans your PC to locate all MSTS installs a and offers a menu from which you can change the MSTS registry path then start ConBuilder on the new path or open MSTS sim on the new path or open MSTS Editor on the new path. BTW the scan takes a long time if you have a lot of HD space so an alternate solution is the manually enter the MSTS install paths into a text file named msts.dat in your ConBuilder folder. Placing each path on a new line.
    Charles