Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SP4449 using Open Rails

Default SP4449 using Open Rails

Kind of a long story, hope someone stays with us and give us feedback. We installed MSTS on our computer running Windows 10, it didn't run. Doing some research we found that Open Rails can actually use the data from MSTS and make it run. We have and it is running now.

Then we tried to add SP4449 to the trainsets (Train Simulator > TRAINS > TRAINSET) following the instructions we found on a video. Given that my son had already downloaded from this page we transferred the folder and... it is not showing in the available locomotives... We want to have this engine badly, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

Northern Virginia, United States of America

Just a kinda long shot based on the information given, but I think you need a consist. For a locomotive to appear in the menus and be selectable, there must be a consist for it. I would suggesting looking up the TSRE5 program and using the consist editor in that to create consists. There are also other consist creation utility programs in the file library here.

Here's a basic consist...Loco&Tender, just drop the con file into your Consists folder and it should show up in OR ( make sure the SP 4449 folder is in your TRAINSET folder )

SP4449_Consist.zip
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Is the Consist folder under OR or under the MSTS program files?
    Thanks and we will give it a shot!

Not too confident I would know how to make TSRE5 program work, assuming I would find it. But will venture into that if we hit a roadblock with R. Steele instructions and help. Thanks for taking the time!

All is ready, but we are supposed to copy the files for cab and sounds from the SP_700, downloaded that, followed the installation instructions, but the file won't show up on the MSTS folder for trainsets! I want to cry!

Have been trying to install:
    SP&S #700 (SPS_700A.ZIP) in order to give cabview and sounds to the 4449 as instructed.
    The installation exe is not creating the corresponding file on MSTS Trainse folder for the SPS_700... what gives?

That's probably because your routes and rolling stock are installed per the MSTS suggested default location (program files) even though you are using Open Rails.

MSTS was built in the Win 95 / WinXP era, when the Program Files folder was not quite as protected by the OS as it is with any version since Vista. These little two-bit installers probably are having trouble placing material inside such a system-protected location.

This is why there are special instructions on how to install MSTS on any version of OS since Vista.

http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/i...g_msts_w7.html

If you have no intention of using MSTS, then you might need to relocate your 4 basic OpenRails folders (ROUTES, TRAINS, GLOBAL and SOUND) to another folder outside of Program Files and then link your open rails content to that location. Then these rinky dink EXE installers will work more reliably.
    Last edited by geepster775; 06-13-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    That's probably because your routes and rolling stock are installed per the MSTS suggested default location (program files) even though you are using Open Rails.

MSTS was built in the Win 95 / WinXP era, when the Program Files folder was not quite as protected by the OS as it is with any version since Vista. These little two-bit installers probably are having trouble placing material inside such a system-protected location.

This is why there are special instructions on how to install MSTS on any version of OS since Vista.

http://msts.steam4me.net/tutorials/i...g_msts_w7.html

If you have no intention of using MSTS, then you might need to relocate your 4 basic OpenRails folders (ROUTES, TRAINS, GLOBAL and SOUND) to another folder outside of Program Files and then link your open rails content to that location. Then these rinky dink EXE installers will work more reliably.
    This.

If you find your MSTS folder in the Program Files (x86) folder (which you probably will), COPY it to a folder outside that, preferably near the root of the disk (such as C:\trainsims). Then you can uninstall MSTS itself. In the copied folder, you can delete everything except those 4 folders within it (ROUTES, TRAINS, GLOBAL, and SOUND). Then link Open Rails to it using the Content tab in the Options. When you run installers for MSTS content, you will probably have to change the default install location (it's almost always a choice available in the installer) to the new location. Since it's outside of Program Files, it's also much easier to do zip file installs: just extract the stuff to the appropriate folder(s) in the new location, no need for admin password. And when you get something like the PRR-ER that's packaged as a mini-route, send it to that folder too so everything's in one place.

There are a couple of older utilities out there what will hiccup if they don't see a trains.exe in with the afore mentioned folders.
    You can either copy the one from your MSTS install or create one, doesn't have to work just has to say trains.exe.

Randy