Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trainsimulation's newest route released..

Geoff -- Yes that line have passenger train -- VIA The Canadian to Vancouver from Toronto or from Vancouver to Toronto as well.

John

Quote Originally Posted by cn bala View Post
    Geoff -- Yes that line have passenger train -- VIA The Canadian to Vancouver from Toronto or from Vancouver to Toronto as well.

John
    Thanks John, Indeed I found some pictures of passenger stock on the line (including a Doodlebug!) but what I meant is does the Trainsimulations version of the route have any passenger facilities?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

I agree with Rory, the equipment looks like the older stuff that most of us already have. Route by itself for a reduced price sounds great to me.
    I was disappointed to see that the locomotives are the old paint schemes, we only see some, only they are doing Switching Duties and/or short way-freight, even the larger engines.
    This will not be a purchase for me, unless they do the Route as a separate unit at $20 USD, which today is $27 CDN.

For those wondering why the early 1990's was selected as the era, the following piece from the route manual explains it:

--------------

This route is based on the early 1990’s Canadian National Railway operations, while it was still a government-owned corporate entity. CN became a publicly traded company in November of 1995. In the year that followed, privatization, CN divested itself of a number of secondary main lines and branch lines in an effort to improve their operating ratio, reduce overhead, and increase value to their new shareholders. The Ruel Subdivision begins in the small railroad community of Capreol Ontario, which is located about 20 minutes north of Sudbury. In the early 1990’s, two main lines converged at Capreol; the Bala Subdivision coming north from Toronto, and the Alderdale Subdivision coming through Algonquin Park to the east. Trains bound to and from Montreal used the Alderdale Sub until it was abandoned in late November 1995.

Capreol, in its heyday, was a significant terminal, with everything needed to maintain steam engines and rolling stock. In the diesel era, a locomotive shop was built on the north side of the yard, which remains there today, although no longer operated by CN. At the east end of town, CN heavy Mountain 4-8-2 #6077 is on display, now part of the Northern Ontario Museum and Historical Centre. Capreol itself, was built almost entirely around the railroad. In fact, the very existence of the town is due to the presence of the railroad. To this day, CN remains the largest employer in the town. The location of the town was initially to provide the best converging point of their two main lines coming from Toronto and Montreal.

Of equal importance is its proximity to Sudbury, where some of the worlds largest nickel and copper deposits can be found. This has provided the railroad with a consistent flow of traffic in the form of nickel and copper ore, as well as sulfuric acid and slag ballast, both by-products of the smelting process. Capreol became a staging area for all that traffic. The largest volume of that traffic heads south into the industrial regions of southern Ontario. Some of it heads west as well, to customers like Algoma Steel in Sault Ste. Marie Ontario, where nickel is mixed with chromium to make stainless steel.

West of Capreol, the line enters the Canadian Shield which is heavily forested, and sparsely populated. The line heads northwest to Foleyet and Hornepayne; and then turns west at Nakina to Sioux Lookout, and ultimately enters the Canadian Prairies at Winnipeg. In the early 1990’s, the majority of CN power east of Winnipeg were the ubiquitous GP40-2L(W) and SD40-2W locomotives, all sporting CN’s flashy Safety Cab. The Safety Cab was developed in the early 1970’s as a way of providing better crew comfort and protection. These cabs are also referred to as Comfort Cabs. The concept CN spearheaded would ultimately form the bases of all wide cab locomotives we see in operation all over North America today. Also present were countless standard cab SD40s, and less frequently, MLW/Bombardier locomotives. This remained the standard until the late 1990’s when CN began purchasing new EMD SD75i and GE C44-9W locomotives in large quantities.

----------------

We can do a route only option, as well, with only paths included. I just figured the CN purists out there would want the safety cab engines

Cheers,
    Jason

Another way to look at it -

A new engine plus trainset pack usually goes for $15. This route has GP40-2W and SD40-2W models that are new, which would cost you roughly $30 combined, and you get the route and activities for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Don6218 View Post
    This will not be a purchase for me, unless they do the Route as a separate unit at $20 USD

Or you can wait for the next sale. 30% off would get it down close to the $20 USD range, with the added bonus of rolling stock which no doubt is much better than any 15 year old library content.

It is nice to see another Canadian route being offered......but I can go along with the rest of the team and say who needs the rolling stock...too limiting in era for those that want to "branch out" with earlier green & gold diesels or steam engines.

Plus these days you get some grungy dirty or graffitied freight cars which look horrible in a scenario. Better to give us the option to use what we want or get the equipment set that best fits what we need.

A future suggestion might be for one of these companies who do the software to create the full Montreal to Toronto CN/CP mainlines. Too many routes are just pieces of something (Niagara or GTA) and become pointless. The capability with OR and the Editors now in use to create larger routes, several of which prove that (PPRR East Region v2, Thames Trent v3, etc), so Montreal Toronto should be easy as a Betty Crocker cake mix???

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by bootednancy View Post
    A future suggestion might be for one of these companies who do the software to create the full Montreal to Toronto CN/CP mainlines. Too many routes are just pieces of something (Niagara or GTA) and become pointless. The capability with OR and the Editors now in use to create larger routes, several of which prove that (PPRR East Region v2, Thames Trent v3, etc), so Montreal Toronto should be easy as a Betty Crocker cake mix???

Doug
    Yes. your suggestions here are very good. If the Locos/Rolling-Stock are "New-OR Designed" then it would make a worthwhile purchase. The Joining of all the Partial Canadian Routes we have now would put in place a decent Corridor of operation, like the PRR-East project. Even a basic East-Coast to Winnipeg Path to get things rolling would be a great start.
    I would be willing to contribute what I can to such an endeavour.

That is a great suggestion Doug, it has my vote. And i am also reading that CN and CP are both in the same route. I did not make a survey, but both lines are not that far away from one another (in the Montréal area, they are side by side).

Michel