Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One activity with Fall Harvest on CN Ruel Subdivision

Question One activity with Fall Harvest on CN Ruel Subdivision

I do have a question for anyone to see if you have the same problem as I have. The activity is Fall Harvest which run east from Foleyet to Capreol. I see that the first meet did not happen at Tionaga with first AI train which is [b]CN 203 Windsor to Vancouver. When the player train, CN 880 (Fall Harvest player train is getting closer to Tionaga and the first AI train with CN 203 Windsor to Vancouver disappear from the Dispatch Viewer. I understand that the player train will be stopping at Tionaga but the signals changed to green and the first AI train is not at Tionaga at all. I am not sure why is this happening with this first meet? I run Open Rails Simulator with " AutoPilot " for this activity. Is anyone else have the same problem or just me.

Thank you,

John

It's not just you.

I saw something similar when running the 418 activity.

I was watching the dispatcher screen as the 418 was approaching the meet at Kukatush with the 201 that was holding the main. On the DS screen I could see 203 (the problem train) meeting the 204 (the train that overtook me at Foleyet) at Tinoaga siding ahead, and I figured I would meet 203 at Kukatush too. But just before I diverged into the siding at Kukatush to meet the 201 the 203 just vanished at Tionaga without completing its meet with 204, giving 204 the signal to carry on ahead of me. Since the second meet was now a bust I had a green to exit and when I got down to Tionaga myself I was routed through the siding where I met nobody.

I checked the path for 203 and he was supposed to run the entire route and not terminate early.

I did not have logging running during that run so I don't know if there would've been any barf in any log.

In the screens the background has 418 approaching 201, the meet at the left side of the DS screen inset, while 203 vanishes during its meet on the right side.

John,

Try running the activity, but actually be in control of the train. You can use the time acceleration to speed it up a bit, but you don't want to impact the physics by adding too much time acceleration. You will find that the meet should take place at Kukatush, and not Tionaga. The autopilot isn't impacted by train physics, so it will get up to 60 mph in no time, when in fact, you won't ever get to that speed if you are in control of the train and you have the advanced adhesion model enabled.

Cheers,
    Jason

Thanks to you and I think that the team of Trainsimulations should look into this scenario. Hopefully they can fix the problem with this.

John

John
    Jason has already told why the activity is failing, and also provided the fix. Turn autopilot off and control the train yourself.

If it is fixed to run under autopilot, then those who like to have control of the train will get problems as well.
    Beer is not a matter of life or death, it is much more serious than that.

I did not see Jason's message as I replied to Geepster775 message and that is why I missed his. One thing I am not sure what Jason mentioned about time acceleration in Open Rails. I thought that can't be done in Open Rails only with MSTS? Is that correct?

Thank you,

John

OR Manual
    time acceleration
    Cheers
    Derek

Thanks Derek for the information to find in Open Rails Manual. I did search this and don't see but must be overlook the index of the OR Manual. Will look up shortly in OR Manual.

John

Gandangara Estate, Sutherland Shire. N.S.W, Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by baldwin View Post
    John
    Jason has already told why the activity is failing, and also provided the fix. Turn autopilot off and control the train yourself.

If it is fixed to run under autopilot, then those who like to have control of the train will get problems as well.
    But if OR and the activity were correctly configured it should run correctly either way.

I really enjoy running acts in Autopilot but so far have only found one "freight" act that works well until the third of fourth pickup
    then it goes awry.

However I have found that most passenger train acts work well and I can "train fan" view them which I enjoy.

My point is OR has an Autopilot function so the best outcome is to make it work 100%, this is an aim, not a criticism,
    I am fully aware that OR is an amateur, as in not paid, venture but so many fixes have been applied because of a request.

Regards to all OR contributors

Daniel
    Daniel - Sydney (wishing I was in Townsville)

I believe there is a card on the OR Trello board for "cruise control" which would be more sophisticated than the current autopilot...which was expressly designed for the purpose of speeding up activity testing. If used correctly for testing it works well, saving the activity creator some time and trouble. However, when it is used to run an activity, it can and will present problems that may not normally happen if the activity is run with normal controls...Jason mentioned this in an earlier post.

Autopilot, unrealistically, keeps the player train at speed, no matter what...physics do not play a role.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.