Thread: An essential file is missing and Open Rails cannot continue

Exclamation An essential file is missing and Open Rails cannot continue

Hello everyone who loves Open Rails,

I am in general very happy with the wonderful Open Rails software, enjoying it many times. However, today I ran into a strange error that I cannot explain nor solve by myself, so I request kindly your help. Yesterday I was running an activity (Milano-Torino-Venezia) without any problem, but now Open Rails gives an error while starting this (or another arbitrary) activity: "An essential file is missing and Open Rails cannot continue"
    However, it is not clear to me, which file is missing. Enclosed the OR logfile.

I had all previous Open Rails installations removed and installed the newest OR-version: X1.3.1-68-ga55289c9 2019-06-17 20:59:15 from https://james-ross.co.uk/projects/or/builds but unfortunately running into the same error.

Too, I take some additional actions at my computer, e.g. completely re-installed the Microsoft XNA- and -NET-programs , Visual Studio etc. Installed the newest Windows Updates. Rebooted the computer several times, however, without any results..I will enclose the new logfile, stating almost the same... It appears to me that Open Rails is calling for an external file (but which one, and where located?) which could not be found...Every activity in several MSTS-directories give the same error of this file.
    I would be very glad if you have suggestions what to do.
    Thank you so much in advance for your help.
    Kind regards,
    Freddy Soer ([email protected])

This is a log file for Open Rails. Please include this file in bug reports.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Date/time = 18-6-2019 10:29:24 (2019-06-18 08:29:24Z)

Warning: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden. (Uitzondering van HRESULT: 0x80070002)
    bei System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExcept ionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
    bei System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(O bject o)
    bei System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
    bei System.Management.ManagementObject.Initialize(Bool ean getObject)
    bei System.Management.ManagementClass.GetInstances(Enu merationOptions options)
    bei System.Management.ManagementClass.GetInstances()
    bei ORTS.Common.SystemInfo.WriteEnvironment(TextWriter output) in E:\Documents\Coding\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Unstable (git)\workspace\Source\ORTS.Common\SystemInfo.cs:Z eile 47.
    bei ORTS.Common.SystemInfo.WriteSystemDetails(TextWrit er output) in E:\Documents\Coding\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Unstable (git)\workspace\Source\ORTS.Common\SystemInfo.cs:Z eile 36.
    bei Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.GameStateRunActivity.InitL ogging(UserSettings settings, String[] args, Boolean appendLog) in E:\Documents\Coding\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Unstable (git)\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Proces ses\GameStateRunActivity.cs:Zeile 763.
    bei Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.GameStateRunActivity.<>c__ DisplayClass35_0.<Load>b__3() in E:\Documents\Coding\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Unstable (git)\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Proces ses\GameStateRunActivity.cs:Zeile 158.
    bei Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.GameStateRunActivity.Load( ) in E:\Documents\Coding\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Unstable (git)\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Proces ses\GameStateRunActivity.cs:Zeile 200.
    bei Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.LoaderProcess.Load() in E:\Documents\Coding\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Unstable (git)\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Proces ses\LoaderProcess.cs:Zeile 158.
    bei Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.LoaderProcess.DoLoad() in E:\Documents\Coding\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Unstable (git)\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Proces ses\LoaderProcess.cs:Zeile 138.
    bei Orts.Viewer3D.Processes.LoaderProcess.LoaderThread () in E:\Documents\Coding\Jenkins\jobs\Open Rails Unstable (git)\workspace\Source\RunActivity\Viewer3D\Proces ses\LoaderProcess.cs:Zeile 109.
    bei System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context( Object state)
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(Exec utionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    bei System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionCon text executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    bei System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()

Since you replaced the executables folder, I would check to see if the Global is intact and the proper Tsection is present.

For future reference, that snippet is not the entire log file. Please zip and attach the whole one next time, and not cut and paste the parts you think are relevant.

Or When i had the Problem Lauching ORTS from my Old Laptop i had to Reinstall Windows 7 and .NET 3.5 and .XNA 3.1 and my Graphics driver as a GTX 8200m and DX 9c did the Trick for me

Hello dear all, apologize for the delayed reaction. I have solved the problem by a complete fresh re-install of Windows 10 Home Edition, as this has normalized the Windows Management System as regards to the Windows Update registration. It seemed that Open Rails wasn't able to detect all necessary Windows system files when starting. OR is now running fine and smoothly. Thanks for your attention. Kind regards, Freddy.