Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fonts

Must have explained this wrong. After you use this character in whatever you are making, select that character and ungroup it. A character like this is made up of three layers. The outside is say black, then an inner layer that's white, then the dot in the middle that is also black. When you ungroup them, you can then eliminate the black dot in the middle. You could just regroup the white center and black outer layer but if you anted to see your background color in the center of an "O" you would need to combine the two layers without grouping them. The smaller white layer would punch a hole in the larger black layer. All TType Fonts are made this way.

Paul :-)

Hi Paul,

I expect you explained it correctly. The two programs I use (Greenstreet Draw 3.0 and Sketchup 8 ) don't treat the characters as you have explained in your post just in front of this post.

Greenstreet Draw treats it as a single layer with a pair of connector points to the inner circle so that the circle in the center of the letter o is a punch through the object defined by the outer circle. The "line" joining these connector points is not rendered. Unfortunately, the connector points are not identifiable.

Sketchup 8 (and other Sketchups I expect) also treat the letter as a single layer. It also does not identify the connector points nor renders the connector "line".

I've bumped into this before, that all programs do not treat something the same, which was why I was curious which program you were using. An example: Paint.net vs Irfanview for photo editing of XXXX.tgas.

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

OMG Corel actually did something right for a change! I'm using Corel 6X that's probably 5 years old by now but this is how that handled fonts since Corel 10 from way back in 1998.

Hi Paul,

And that explains it. I expect it's a feature so that fonts are more editable in Corel than the programs I have. I feel it's more like extra bells and whistles, as well as more knobs and buttons.

Greenstreet Draw started out as Compuworks Designer, and a lightweight version of that was included in the Works for Windows package in Windows 3.1. WfW was similar to Office and Libre Office in that it was a package of common programs which had a spreadsheet app, text app, 2-D illustration app, etc. And the various parts could be pulled together into a single document.

Over the intervening time, I was able to track down the full Compuworks Designer program, and in tracking updates for that found it had migrated into Greenstreet Draw.

I passed on Windows 95, and bought the upgrade disks for Win 98 that would upgrade from Win 3.1.

Thanks

Doug Relyea
    Making stuff that works, using outdated Software on outdated Hardware.

The T Type Fonts you get in Windows have always been built in layers. Microsoft owns a 50% share of Corel and when Corel introduced X5 it was so buggy that people went back to using their old Corel 10. Corel caught on and had Microsoft change fonts from 8 bit to 16 bit so Corel 10 could no longer use standard fonts. Maybe that the difference in how your program handles fonts.