Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: seeking graphics card advice

One way to ease the move to a new computer is to just install MSTS to the location where you want it -- probably the same folder names as your old PC. This makes all the Registry entries. Then just copy over your entire old installation and over-write the files. (If you use Train Store, make sure to un-store everything.)

Alternatively, if you're comfortable with the Registry, copy all your old MSTS Registry entries to a file and re-import them onto the new PC, then again copy over your old install with the same folder names.

In either case, run MPROFILE.EXE from the main Train Simulator folder one time to make sure it recognizes that a graphics driver is present, and you're pretty much done with moving MSTS. What's left is re-installing your old utilities like Route Riter, Train Store, etc.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Thanks for all the helpful replies, I'm grateful that you took the time/effort to respond. Sounds like it could take a couple of weeks for the card to arrive from China. I'll report in after the old machine arrives back home, hopefully with good news.

AA

OK, here's the follow up report......the card described above arrived from China, made my first runs last night. It appears everything is functioning properly, though I only tried a few routes....both pay and free ware. The card itself seems to be the only "issue"......movement, once smooth with the old card, is now jerky, especially close to the "camera". I'm already finding myself focusing my eyes further out to avoid the jerkyness.

If this is the only problem, I think I'll be keeping the old XP machine a while longer. To me, this is a no brainer, as compared to having a new computer built, and starting MSTS, maybe OR too, from scratch. I have a ton of stuff, and think this method would take months of effort to get up and going.

Once again, I do appreciate the comments and advice....and, when I get to OR, I'll probably be back for more. For now, it's gratifying just to be back in the sim cab.

AA

Quote Originally Posted by agentatascadero View Post
    OK, here's the follow up report......the card described above arrived from China, made my first runs last night.
    AA

Be VERY careful when getting devices directly from China... They do not fare very well over time.. Using cheap products...
    Dave Edwards

I'm a student of computing science career.

Here is the deal... Some chinese cheap cards aren't working well... They are exceding regular temperature and that can be a problem.

Technollogy is scalable so you can invest a bit on a new motherboard keeping the same storage unit (same files, same Windows XP). But you must get some new electronic devices.

I'm aware of some technicians than they follow a store advice (let's the customer spend more money with new tech).

All that computer components are evolved now... None cable for power or data transfer is equal at 10 years before and that is a bit of problem. Today computers demand more power, more data transfer.

A transition between those "modern computer" and "older computer" it's a 2009-2011 motherboard. They have a dual slots to IDE and SATA storage units. So you can connect both Storage units (modern and older).

Other factor it's the power supply unit. Modern Cable connectors evolved too. Older molex aren't equal to modern molex (Shape is not equal)

Exist some Power supply than have BOTH Molex type. So that can be a relax.

I got a similar experience with my gladiator Nvidia FX5200 which ended to die on 2013 and late the motherboard too.

OS (Operative System) Windows XP it's a legend... But they have some issues on due to web navigators evolved and focus more privacy and it's possible to not connect to web pages.

I got no complain about Windows 10 and they regular upgrades. It's a easy install OS (technically it install everything without any user configuration) but it will be a impact for Windows XP users. So i will recommend you Windows 7 which still beging used on some offices and it have a graphic interface psicology almost exactly as Windows XP.

Other factor it's the 32 bits to 64 bits transformation. On computing science this has been implemented to handle more float point precission (which can be translated to better precision calcs). So modern computers handle DOUBLE precision than older. You can see some programs than are designed for 64 or 32 bits. User doesn't see difference but when we do games and software it exist a difference. Like the Pi case. it's not the same 3.14 than 3.1415. And on engineering it's a HUGE diference. It's huge the ammount of process and math calcs than do the processor between the graphic card.

Graphic card it's another big factor. Games since 2004 changed using new graphic engines like Microsoft call (Direct X) and some free communities call (openGL). They have more support to high quality models, lights, reflections and other...

Exist some graphic cards than doesn't need new Power supply units. a example of this it's the GT Series of Nvidia which it's recommended not for today gaming but for OpenRails it's a excelent way to start.

In conclusion. at my recommendation A new motherboard. A new processor . A new RAM memory. A new Graphic card.

Some computer specs are next:
    1 ) DDR2 or DDR3 Motherboard with LGA 775 Socket (modern sockets demand more power so is not a option).
    2 ) At least (4 slots for DDR2 and 2 slots for DDR3).
    3 ) Core 2 Quad Processor
    4 ) REQUIRED OBLIGATORY (IDE sockets for older storage units) and SATA.
    5 ) PCI-E x16 connector for Graphic card.
    6 ) Nvidia GT 1030
    7 ) Digital to Analog converter DVI to VGA (if you still using older monitors).
    8 ) Windows 7 Operative System for 64 bits

I can guarantee this recomendation it's a hard to kill PC because contain some componets than can be used for moden computers.
    For example a GT1030 you can upgrade to a new monitor without problem because it have a HDMI output.
    8 GB of RAM is enought to handle OpenRails perfectly.
    With SATA connector you can upgrade perfectly newer storage unit even a Solid state disk (SSD)

PD: Yes. I'm more fan from Nvidia than ATI.
    Last edited by dedwa15237; 07-10-2019 at 09:24 PM. Reason: e mail removed less spam/malware

Looks like this will be an ongoing story.....haven't made too many runs yet, but do notice the operating controls are quirky, especially the brakes, which seem to way over-react to what once were normal settings....not sure I can work around that challenge. If not, may have to move on to plan B...whatever that is.

Dave: My repair guy (it's a plus he does flight sim, I think), bought through e-bay or Amazon, and only found this one....the closest to my old card that would work in the available slot. I wonder who makes original Nvidia cards, Japan?

Manuel: I still have the old/better Nvidia card....but the repair guy did not find the proper mother board to replace the one with the bad graphics card slot. You say get a new motherboard, but where? Given a working replacement motherboard, I'm back to a functioning computer, which handled the sim well. That would be my first choice, by far.

Sty tuned, and thanks for all the comments, AA

Your video capabilities took a big step backwards in your quest to just to find a card that would go into a remaining slot and actually allow the machine to fire up and be useful again. It will never be like it was before.

The truth is, you should have gotten a Win 7 or 8.1 machine 5-7 years ago. Then the learning curve would not have been as steep as it is with getting a new machine today. But you probably talked yourself out of it back then just like you are still doing now. Just be aware that what you prefer is no longer reasonable.

From my perspective... Get a new PC.. Newer PC's run a lot smoother, less troublesome. If you dont like the newer OS, you can still roll back to a Win 7 or a 8.1 software...

Quote Originally Posted by agentatascadero View Post

Dave: My repair guy (it's a plus he does flight sim, I think), bought through e-bay or Amazon, and only found this one....the closest to my old card that would work in the available slot. I wonder who makes original Nvidia cards, Japan?

AA
    Dave Edwards

Good luck with getting hold of Windows 7 now! M$ withdraw support from that next spring.

Windows 8? Why would you use that?

I'm not a fan of Windows 10 but it's what any new box is going to come with so the sooner you learn it the better. There are plenty of good basic guides to operating systems and these are written anticipating "How do I do XYZ, like I did in ABC Operating system"

The (IMO stupid ) smart phone touch screen Initial screen is easily bypassed so the new OS doesn't look quite so dumbed down. Why programmes had to become "Apps" is beyond (any but a marketing) reason but none of the computer Operating Systems have ever been released without some totally pointless, and often irritating, change. Just to prove they actually have done something I guess?

As others have said updating a 15 year old machine is probably going to be throwing money away.

In the nineteen years since MSTS first came to our attention the PC's it runs on have improved in so many ways. Motherboards have slots that were unheard of 10 years ago! There's been more graphics cards changes than a simmer would ever benefit (cost efficiently) from and of course SSD's have pretty much eliminated some simming problems.

Go on ...treat yourself.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Good luck with getting hold of Windows 7 now! M$ withdraw support from that next spring.
    You can still run Win 7 without software support, for what? (as it runs, then it runs!)... I used mine without Internet connections for gaming machines esp. FSX and Train Sim. If you wonder how do I get updates like new consists or such... simple... use a memory stick to transfer..

Besides I own 3 computers in my home... Have running Win 10 for general running the web and e mails, file downloading and such, not for billing and payments.. I use my IMac for that..
    Dave Edwards