Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: seeking graphics card advice

Default seeking graphics card advice

My 15 year old XP computer decided to freeze up, so went into the local shop.

Here's my problem: the PCI-e slot in the mother board has died. the old graphics card: Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT I GB of Ram.

The repair guy suggests this in a PCI slot: Nvidia GeForce FX5500 250MB of Ram.

The computer was originally built for MSTS, which is what I run......but I'd like to be OR capable for future possibilities.

So, would this plan work for the stated purposes?

The repair guy says if this doesn't work (using a PCI slot for the graphics card), the only alternative is a new computer, which he could custom build. He advises it is not possible to build an XP computer.....I do not have the XP discs, and he doesn't believe they're available on the market, so I'd have to go to Windows 7 at the least.....or find a used and usable XP computer.

After 15 years, this is upsetting to say the least, I do hope to keep the old machine going.

Thanks for looking, AA

XP is no longer a supported OS for any version of OR after 1.3.

Going forward .Net framework 4.7 is required and there is no version of that for XP

After 15 years, that's been a very good run for your old PC!

The PCI graphics card has less memory than the old one. MSTS won't really care, but it won't help matters, either.

Also, if one slot has gone bad on the motherboard, it may be a sign of more failures to come.

It's time to move into more modern times. Safer to move up to at least Windows 7. (And know that in less than a year in 2020, it will be just as unsupported as Windows XP...) You'll need a newer operating system to move forward with Open Rails, which requires the newer .Net framework / XNA framework, (and quite possibly the Monogame framework instead of XNA.)

You can still run MSTS under all the newer versions of Windows (even Windows 10 if you want to) -- Just stick with an Nvidia graphics card.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Honestly, repairing your XP computer is going to be more expensive in the long run than getting a whole new system. Don't know your financial situation, but you can get a decent tower system for about $800. To replace the video card in your XP system with the same is about $200. That's why the repair person suggested the major downgrade and older card - the Nvidia GeForce FX5500 250MB.

Plus, your MOBO is on shaky ground and likely to fail in the new future - loosing a slot is not a trivial issue.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

I had a computer built by a local shop for about $150 when my old XP system died, probably with some spare parts. But it's still going strong three or four years later.

I'd say you got your money's worth out of it if it lasted 15 years, but if you want to stay in the game, it really is time to upgrade

Dang, I forgot to mention one big thing......my Raildriver.....won't be simming without it. Will RD be able to work with an upgraded OS, like Windows 7 or 10?

Old man with old computer = trouble.

AA

Shouldn’t be a problem. Mine works with win10 fine

Quote Originally Posted by agentatascadero View Post
    Dang, I forgot to mention one big thing......my Raildriver.....won't be simming without it. Will RD be able to work with an upgraded OS, like Windows 7 or 10?

Old man with old computer = trouble.

AA
    Steve Burr, PE - Clinton, MD
    Southern Serves the South

Thanks guys for the response/advice. For now, not planning to install OR "yet", I've decided to stay with the old computer.

It's not about $$$, that's not the issue. I don't do change well, so keeping the old machine has value to me. A new computer would force me to start MSTS from the start.....given all the routes/equipment I have, that would be very daunting.

OR, for me, is still in the future. One question: does any of OR work on an XP machine?

AA

As of version 1.3, OR will still run under Windows XP (if the computer is fast enough to run it well). Versions beyond 1.3 will be moving to Windows 7 and later due to dependency on newer .Net framework libraries.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

If this new card works, then I'll feel I dodged a major bullet in not having to set up with a new computer. If it fails, there is still the new computer option, and the nightmare of reinstalling the sim/utilities/routes/equipment from ground zero.

AA