Thread: How To Add New Stuff To MSTS

Default How To Add New Stuff To MSTS

hi guys, im a new member, and wondering how to get new stuff on my msts game. if anyone could help me with how to do it properly, i'd appreciate it.

or just how to get on my game. either way works.

To start with, MSTS is old software and may not run correctly on every system. Open Rails is its community-developed replacement, and there are significant advantages to using it to run MSTS content. Because MSTS is old, and Open Rails can be highly customizable and technical, things aren't always exactly plug-and-play. Be ready to learn a lot along the way - but that's part of the fun.

Start with a properly configured install of MSTS. Unfortunately, just running the installer won't really work anymore. As with many other old games, don't install it in any "Program Files" folders. The best explanation of how to install MSTS so it will work as it should is this tutorial at the Steam4Me site. All modern versions of Windows follow the same rules as the Windows 7 instructions. If you've just installed MSTS by letting the installer run on its defaults, uninstall it - don't worry about saving anything since it's brand-new and un-customized, and install according to this tutorial. The tutorial will guide you on installing the essential updates from Microsoft, as well as some very useful suggested freeware add-ons. Be sure to follow the additional instructions to download and install these:
    • Xtracks
    • Newroads
    • MSTS-BIN

These are essential dependencies for many routes and trains in MSTS.

Before you launch MSTS, make sure your monitor resolution is set to 1600 x 1200 or less, otherwise it will crash.

Now, what if your computer has AMD graphics or Intel graphics that don't work with MSTS. Don't worry! Just learn Open Rails! Open Rails will simply use the content of your MSTS installation.

Add-ons for MSTS install and work under Open Rails the same as they would under MSTS.

Add-ons generally have a README file that explains how to install. Some require files to be be copied to specific folders. Some have installers. Always make sure installers will install to where you put MSTS -- not the default "Program Files" folder.

Freeware add-ons frequently have dependencies -- make sure you have all of those installed. That's were it can get a little complicated. Always have the default MSTS routes and trains, Xtracks, and Newroads installed. If you're actually running under MSTS, always have the MSTS-BIN patch installed.

You'll often find "repaints" of locomotives and rolling stock in the File Library here. Those are just new textures/skins on top of other models. You need to have the original model installed -- the file description and README will tell you what the dependency is. Many repaints depend on you owning a payware base model.

MSTS is just the start. Open Rails is the improved platform for running the content and for running the newest content which may be too demanding for MSTS to handle.

You'll quickly discover that there are other essential utilities which make managing MSTS/Open Rails and its content easier, but this will get you started. Have fun!

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Quote Originally Posted by X3N0 View Post
    hi guys, im a new member, and wondering how to get new stuff on my msts game. if anyone could help me with how to do it properly, i'd appreciate it.
    That is a difficult task because there is no standard way. There is no standard way too install MSTS add-ons because there is no standard way to package MSTS add-ons. Some creators package their creations in installers. Others just use ZIP files. Usually those that use installers give the user a choice as to the path to use. Others just default to the original MSTS path (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Train Simulator) but that does not work for OSs WIN 7 and newer. The same with those who use ZIP file. Some provide the folder structure others just provide only files. It has become standard practice that when rolling stock is provided in a ZIP without the folder structure to install the files into a subfolder of the Trainset with the folder name matching the filename of the ZIP file. That allows activity creators to share activities that use this rolling stock.
    Charles

Quote Originally Posted by X3N0 View Post
    or just how to get on my game. either way works.
    Do you mean "I have already installed new rolling stock but they don't appear for use in the Sim." All rolling stock must be placed in a consist before they can appear in the sim.
    Charles

Jacob, seriously, you would be doing yourself a real favor by going to the following site and downloading the FREE Open Rails ( OR ) starter route. Needs no MSTS - period. Acquaint yourself with the folder layout, because that's one of the things you'll need to know when you do start to look at all the free MSTS routes here and at other sites.
    Also, find the OR manual and begin reading...you've got some catching up to do. But OR is the way to go...you'll get more response if you have questions.

https://www.trainsimulations.net/ORTS_starter_pack.html

Here's the Open Rails site (OR does not need MSTS to run ) it is an entirely separate program that is compatible with MSTS legacy equipment and routes...although some of the older routes do reply upon having the default MSTS routes installed.

http://openrails.org/

Regards, Gerry
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.