Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ZUSI 3 Released on Steam

Default ZUSI 3 Released on Steam

The "English" version has been released by Aerosoft via Steam.

For those who are interested and whose native language is English, you might be interested to read the following comment by one person (out of the four so far) who have posted on Steam:-

"Unless you're solid in German, until there is good enough English documentation out there for it, don't even bother trying this yet. It seems all they've done to prep this for Steam was translate the UI and that's it. There is a _very_ extensive 90MB PDF manual included but is entirely in German but no translated version anywhere to be found.

For $70, I can't recommend it in its current state if you don't know German."
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Becoming another example of never impulse buy.
    Never realized that the full manual in German language is supposed to be around 775 pages in size.
    Hopefully the English manual they have provided is a fill gap until they get around to translating the full version, It's just were so use to game manuals being so slim these days that I figured that was it in it's entirety and we had to figure the rest out.

Even this light English manual has done a good job of providing insight into some of the German signal system better than other sims have done, but thinking about the level of detail that has gone into recreating the cabs and the procedure required to react to the various switches warning alarms, computer screens etc, we will need a very comprehensive English manual to explain the operation of these trains.

Probably going to be a case of check back in six months time and see if Aerosoft is still supporting this sim for the English speaking community.

Probably goes without saying, none of the editor functions have been translated!

Definitely a wait and see job, I think.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by WesternDivision View Post
    ....were so use to game manuals being so slim these days ...
    And as a download, PDF file.
    A far cry from the days when manuals were printed and were thick and very readable.

However, I did lash out recently and buy the printed manual for Fallout 4.....and it is a whopping 515 A4 pages and is utterly brilliant!
    How nice it would be to have something similar for other in-depth games and sims.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I didn't know you could read Vern. I thought you just looked at the lights, red, yellow and green.

I am disgusted than none of you boys sprechen deutsch, ze englanders are mad mein fuhrer.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Bought it and will probably refund it. German language special characters don’t display properly in the menus and screens.
    Seems ZuSi is programmed in old fashioned Borland Delphi and this handles Unicode differently from Windows 10?
    So unless you use Windows with Germany as system locale, the special characters don’t display as they should. I’ve set ZuSi to English, but only a part of the menus and screens are translated at the moment.
    Then the game doesn’t want to update itself and the Germanglish doesn’t help either.

Seems to me, the Steam release hasn’t been properly thought thru and internationalised.

With ZuSi being a one person team using tried and proven but probably obsolete programming tools I have little hope this will be improved.

Aerosoft mods in the Steam forum will probably collect the 1st day comments and hopefully answer the questions I’ve posted there.

So my advice also is wait for 3 months and see if Aerosoft is serious in its support of their product. JT also resells ZuSi, so they’ll have to answer support questions too.
    Last edited by Edwin; 06-21-2019 at 06:55 AM.

Thanks for that Edwin, will now take it out of my wish list.
    Vern.

Yes.
    My German is good enough to read ZuSi’a native documents and forum.
    It seems the language problem is persistent.
    Then there is this mixture of lo-res and hi-res cab textures, various external controller problems reported.
    A somewhat diffuse policy as to free or paid updates by Aerosoft regarding new routes.

The ZuSi community in Germany is very committed and knowledgeable. So only if you participate and take some interface language concessions and plow through the initial teething problems, ZuSi is the game for you.

ZuSi is even more hardcore than Run8 and will in its present form never be a casual mass market product.

The success of ZuSi on Steam depends on Aerosoft’s support and for that they’ll need sales volume.
    Last edited by Edwin; 06-21-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    For those who are interested and whose native language is English, you might be interested to read the following comment by one person (out of the four so far) who have posted on Steam:-

"[FONT="]Unless you're solid in German, until there is good enough English documentation out there for it, don't even bother trying this yet. It seems all they've done to prep this for Steam was translate the UI and that's it. There is a _very_ extensive 90MB PDF manual included but is entirely in German but no translated version anywhere to be found.[/FONT]
    For $70, I can't recommend it in its current state if you don't know German."
    Yeah, but, how much of a search did they really do? We have a 201 page English Manual available now. Is this another Steam fanboy who can't download a manual from the product description page? The vast majority of us who have played with Zusi in the past know that it's a one man show and everything has always been written in German, we're lucky to get an English translation out so soon to a degree, but, any Zusi product isn't for the passing fad Steam gamers, you have to be dedicated and knowledgable to be able to grasp the complexity of the German railway system and pay about $70 for the rewarding entertainment you receive, I doubt the casual gamers on Steam will appreciate that, and will deposit hundreds of negative comments because it's far too difficult for their little minds to work out, which is not really fair on the developer!!!!

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 06-21-2019 at 08:40 AM.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Noted Steve but there is still the localisation issue to consider. I don't want yet another funky train sim that needs kicking to work on Win 10, not for nearly £55!
    Vern.