Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ZUSI 3 Released on Steam

No, it is not fair on the developer.

Steam however is THE platform for casual gamers, one supposes the hardcore players of German railway simulations already have ZuSi direct from the developer.

So if Steam opens up a whole new party of consumers, perhaps Aerosoft even wanting to establish a large and new dedicated player base, Aerosoft as the publisher responsible should answer all service questions. They probably get a hefty cut off the proceedings.

The Steam release is still young, but if the game will not display proper German special characters on any PC not having the Germany system locale, they are having a problem with international customers.
    First fix or finish the translation of the menus, as there are provisions for different languages.

So it's a bit of a conundrum in my opinion.

Definitely wait and see, Edwin.

In any event, I'm not recommending people shouldn't buy it, just relaying my personal choice based on cost and what we know so far.

Worth remembering, the development of the project was somewhat chequered, having originally been planned to come out around 2007 but kept getting put back with the author very coy as to the reasons - possibly involvement with the professional training application for it. When it was released it was via the odd USB stick arrangement. As we have all stated looks aren't everything but while it is an improvement on Zusi 2, sadly to me it looks like a 12 year old programme when compared even with the likes of MSTS latter day routes running in OR or Run 8 so really shouldn't be selling at that sort of price level, not if the aim is to reach the wider market.
    Vern.

After reading Edwin's comments - for which I am most grateful (thank you, Edwin) - ZuSi is also gone from my wish-list.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

You can reconsider if Aerosoft is really up to supporting the Steam version of ZuSi.
    It is a complicated simulation that requires a study of its manual.

I suppose they are collecting tips, improvements and bugs from the first weeks. And use the lessons learned hopefully to improve the release documents and have the developer get those menu's and screens sorted and properly translated at least in English.

Made some positive progress.

Read up on the ZuSi forum and learned that the Steam version is at the latest version and you shouldn't update it using the ZuSi Verwaltung (file manager)
    So I had Steam remove the corrupted install and re-install a fresh copy.

This time I selected English menus straight away and denied the game from updating itself so it stayed clean.

The new copy seems to work OK and has all the main menus in proper English.
    Together with the English manual that one can download from the Steam page, I set out to explore this unfamiliar world.

This went OK as far as I could tell, though almost everything is different from the usual train simulations/games I have.

With my trial time almost used up, and ZuSi now doing as it was advertised, I am inclined to keep it.

Euro's 60 seems a lot, but you get a lot of trains and routes, with proper physics, signaling, schedules and a few goodies I have yet to discover. ZuSi is equal to a base game together with few DLC of TS19 or TSW. So in the end, ZuSi offers the same value for money.

Having purchased the USB version not sure how the steam version works but I have no problems with the UI as it is mostly all in English, some bits like the computer screens in some of the train cabs are in German so there is a bit of learning to do there but I have managed to get the passenger info systems(FIS) working on some of the suburban trains so that I get the next station announcements playing correctly, using Zusi Display(separate program) you can even show these screens on another monitor.
    I have gained a lot of info by using google translate on the zusi forum though if I need any help just posting on the English forum would give me the answers I’m sure.
    I have even been brave and turned of the cheat option(shows you the next station/speeds/signals) on the odd run.

Apparently the USB and Steam versions can live side by side since they use different directories for your personal files and settings.

The USB version can and should be kept up to date using the internal Verwaltung (file manager), while Aerosoft promises to keep the Steam version up to date. I believe a free update to Koln-Dusseldorf is in the works.

How that works out, and wether Aerosoft's support actually amounts to something, is still too early to tell.

Since you own the USB version, there is no need to get the Steam version.
    Last edited by Edwin; 06-22-2019 at 02:52 PM.

What is "USB version"??
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

USB version as sold by ZuSi direct. It is the DRM dongle I believe.

Oh! I didn't realise that such a product existed.