Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watch Those Hard Drives!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Well - further update, new drive started acting in exactly the same manner, so it would seem the finger of suspicion points firmly at this Windows 1903 major update. I've now rolled it back to the previous version and will see how things proceed from there.

In the meantime, if Windows pops up to do the update and you have more than one HDD installed, might be worth treading carefully - obviously there are issues related to specific hardware, BIOS etc combinations but not good if you start losing access to your drives!

You might want to have a look at the app called Winaero Tweaker. It's free. You can outright stop the Windows 10 crap updates from jacking your computer up. Since I've used it, I don't update unless I need to and then I go try to find a update that I can control how it downloads. Basically, I don't allow the updates anymore. So far to date (6 months now) no issues by doing this and my computer has been running a whole lot better. The one main thing I've learned from these Windows updates is that for each update, the user loses more and more control of their computer over anything Microsoft. Many options that one could turn on or off such as automatic update no longer function. It's all ghosted out. Rolling it back works until the next stupid update hits.

One thing I do is run a cooling fan/heatsink on my HDD. I've noticed the HDD runs so much cooler by having a fan blowing air over the bottom of the drive. The cooler they run, the longer they will live.

I live in a very hot and humid area and will take all the cooling I can get for my PC's components!

Robert
    Last edited by NW 2156; 07-15-2019 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NW 2156 View Post
    One thing I do is run a cooling fan/heatsink on my HDD. I've noticed the HDD runs so much cooler by having a fan blowing air over the bottom of the drive. The cooler they run, the longer they will live.

I live in a very hot and humid area and will take all the cooling I can get for my PC's components!

Robert
    Good point. My desktop case has an intake fan on the front that blows through the main drive bays. It can be important for SSDs too - if they get too hot (and they can, if used heavily in a tight case), they slow down in hopes of self-preservation. As you say, excessive heat is never good for electronics.