Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watch Those Hard Drives!

One other thing to be aware of, watch which SATA socket you plug the secondary drive into. I somehow managed to plug it into a socket which gave it higher priority than the existing "C" drive which meant when I switched the PC back on later, I got a dire BIOS warning about no OS found. That caused a few moments of high alarm, but after reopening the case and plugging the SATA into another socket the other end of the mobo, all returned to normal.

You would think, in this day and age, the BIOS/Windows would be capable of looking at all the drives to determine which one has the OS on board and reallocate the priority.
    Vern.

Well - further update, new drive started acting in exactly the same manner, so it would seem the finger of suspicion points firmly at this Windows 1903 major update. I've now rolled it back to the previous version and will see how things proceed from there.

In the meantime, if Windows pops up to do the update and you have more than one HDD installed, might be worth treading carefully - obviously there are issues related to specific hardware, BIOS etc combinations but not good if you start losing access to your drives!
    Vern.

I have 3 drives Vern, SSD and two old WD spinners 320gb each.

No probs here with latest Win10 buddy.

Might be an intermittent fault with your mobo or psu.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

It's certainly a strange one, Mike.
    Vern.

The only time I lost a hard drive, the PSU was the cause. You could literally see the burn on the HDD circuit board.

You can check your PSU output with Speedfan, Vern.

Plus HDD and other components

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

I'll check those out but, that said, since rolling back Windows 10 everything is still working fine. I may look to see if there are updated drivers or BIOS for the motherboard, though.
    Vern.

No worries Vern and if it has settled down. You might be ok, of course different machines. Are affected by the Win10 setup, drivers install, etc differently.

I have absolutely no trouble at all with this one. Except for Trainz since TANE and now TRS19. Both give me the BSOD, nothing else has in the last 10 years. Just running TRS19 now and it locked up solid, BSOD and a reset button job.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

I remember years ago an old PC at the time Windows 95 first came out. It ran MS-DOS and Win 3.11 perfectly okay, however when I installed Windows 95 about every three days it wouldn't start, instead went to a light blue screen with an error message and I had to reformat the whole thing each time. As it was still under warranty I took it back to the shop who, in all fairness, virtually rebuilt it free of charge with a new motherboard and different memory chips (I don't think they were entirely happy!) after which it worked okay. Which proved, even back then, a hardware configuration which works perfectly okay under one OS can be nuked by a slight change.

There are times, when I wish I had stuck with the Amiga!
    Vern.

95 was a nightmate, Vern. The times i reformatted and went back to DOS 6.22, i can't count them.

I never had any sort of computer before the 386 in 1994. We did buy the kids an Amstrad 464 with colour monitor in the mid 1980's.

But that was for them and how much of a pc that was i don't know. It did have one brilliant game out of the twelve, that came with it.

A little egg matey, Dizzy i think it was called.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd