Thread: CSX Physics - Still Shot

Default CSX Physics - Still Shot

So after re-installing TSW after my hard drive adventure, thought I would return to the beginning and see what has changed on CSX.

Picked a run with the SD40 on a reasonably long auto train. Off we went like a rocket, easy to maintain 35 MPH on a 1 in 185 (around 0.7%) gradient in Notch 3. In addition the ammeter is still running down to zero then back up again, despite the loco being under constant, albeit light, power.

I was under the impression DTG had re-done the physics - obviously not!
    Vern.

They were supposed to have tweaked the physics Vern.

I believe that it is a fore gone conclusion that TSW, will never be anything more than eye candy.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

DTG probably thinks it's good enough for the casual Konsole Kid with access to his father wallet.

Apparently all the US Diesels have been redone, save for the GP40-2?

Default Heavy Haul doesn’t simulate cargo weight at all

Dtg have all trains (in Heavy Haul) in empty state, even loaded coal trains "shown", is empty.
    So one has to say that all the wagons have no load at all they have admitted that it is so. Matt say so and is on theirs big list to do.
    The ammeter goes to 0 sometimes on Sd40, I guess the locomotive slips when this happens.

Check this you see much more info about the "Cargo weight issue bug" and much more thing
    It begin then i test TSW trains against Run8 trains and see large difference

Thoughts On Csx Physics

And i think it not simulate wind resistance on wagons either
    Last edited by jorgen3; 07-07-2019 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Info

Thanks for that Jorgen.

Well Matt P. is putting a brave face on things but seems to me they are over relying on Simugraph rather than hand scripting the physics for each loco type on the basis of actual performance. Absolutely staggered that a next gen sim cannot differentiate between loaded and unloaded vehicles. Makes a complete mockery of any scenario where you are changing the state of the wagons at a mine or discharging at an industrial site.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ..... Absolutely staggered that a next gen sim cannot differentiate between loaded and unloaded vehicles....
    Particularly when Open Rails, with the "tweaked" physics, does it so well.....as does Run 8.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I think they can Get past the obstacle by having 2 wagons. One empty and one loaded. (in others routes some trains feels very heavy)
    But then it is not possible to load or unload a coal train. The weight it is still the same.

They have same problems in Ts19 but there they have solved it by making heavy trains only with more friction (with wagons you can load)
    So this trains cant roll downhill so good.

I hope they fix this problem very soon.
    Matt wrote this

The wagon weight issue is on the big list of things to do - but it's not just as simple as adjusting the weight of the vehicle. In reality wagons either have a lever to switch between the loaded and heavy brake setup, or they have a load sensor that does this automatically. So you have got two sets of braking configurations and some means, manual or automatic, to switch between them.

However, hopefully you'll all agree that CSX took a big step forward with this update, even if it isn't as far as some of you might prefer

Matt.

=================================================
    Senior Producer, Train Sim World
    Dovetail Games

They have same problems in Ts19 but there they have solved it by making heavy trains only with more friction (with wagons you can load)
    So this trains cant roll downhill so good.
    I saw that in the referenced thread, Jorgen. What a cop out! Also explains why on some consists in TS you have to keep power applied to move the train on a falling gradient (Canadian Rockies comes to mind where the train physics were all over the place). They also did something similar with the UK Class 70 diesel loco, when running light engine there is so much inertia if you close the throttle it just stops, instead of keeping rolling.

That sort of fudge might work in a strictly controlled and scripted environment, e.g. such as the old Japanese Densha de Go games operated in, but not in a free form world environment.

I'm beginning to think that, these days at least, Trainz actually has better physics in many areas and that DTG - both TS and TSW - are now the arcade toy train game vendor.
    Vern.

I went into the carriages (Ts2019) and changed the setting to no load (or just 1 ton load so the loaded wagon will be shown)
    but the whole wagons be heavier (empty+ weight=wagon weight)
    Then the trains will be rolling downhill as it should. -0,5 percent gradient and the train increase speed. and train feels heavy uphill "goes slow"
    Without the wagon change the train loose speed and you get to drive downhill.....and the train goes to fast uphill
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wrote this before in 2013
    But I have found a way past the problem but there is a little work around it.

I open the bin file for the current wagon "Coal_Gondola_G113.bin"
    in RW tools (but first you have to zip the Ap file)

Find this line
    <Capacity d: type = "sFloat32" d: alt_encoding = "0000000000005E40" drecision = "string"> 120 </Capacity>
    Change 120 to 1 (remember 120) (if you put a 0 here, no load is shown on the wagon)

Find this line
    <Mass d: type = "sFloat32" d: alt_encoding = "0000006066663B40" drecision = "string"> 27.4 </Mass>
    Change 27.4 to 147.4 (27.4 + 120)

Check this line
    <RollingFrictionCoefficient d: type = "sFloat32" d: alt_encoding = "000000E04D62503F" drecision = "string"> 0.0005 </RollingFrictionCoefficient>
    It should be between 0.0002 to 0.0010 railway wheels against rails.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tsw is much better in many things. They rolls very good downhill and if the wagon is loaded (with actual high wagon weight) it feels very heavy uphill.
    Last edited by jorgen3; 07-08-2019 at 04:24 AM.