Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TS12, T:ANE and the new TRS19

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    The only problem is that if you don't download the DLC when prompted or the downloads get interrupted, it can be a bit tricky to get them to start again!
    oh...well, that's nice to know. Thanks for the heads up! Good Lord! - rich

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post
    Rich --

The other issue that arises is if you do download additional content and if you use the additional content in a route and if you plan to share the route on the Download Station, then you are assuming that everybody that downloads your route has also downloaded the same additional content that you did.

You can have multiple installations of TRS19. When constructing my layouts I always use an installation that is "clean", that is, one that does not include any additional content. Apart, of course, content from the Download Station -- which everybody has access to.

Phil
    Thanks much for that tip Phil! That is a great idea. This way I can tell much easier which assets are mine to include with my route. I guess. I don't know how to package a route in Trainz. But then I got a long way to go.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    The one thing that is certain Rich, if you like building routes (and I know you do!) then you can have some great fun in Trainz. If you pick your traction and consists carefully the physics aren't so bad these days, either.

Once you get settled in, would also suggest you check out Transdem which, if you weren't already aware, is the one stop shop for getting a basic DEM route with mapping overlay into Trainz Surveyor ready to edit.
    Hey Vern,

You are right, I do enjoy building routes and this time around if I still have the patience for it I feel I can make a much better looking route than before. Using tools like Blender and Affinity Photo, things look nicer than my previous Sketchup builds. And now we can use more sophisticated materials.

So with Transderm, where do I acquire that? Is it something I buy from the Trainz store?

Rich

http://www.rolandziegler.de/StreckeU...ansDEMEngl.htm

Rich,

Scroll down the LHS to the section which says Trainz Edition. It is independent software but reasonably priced and very addictive. It is still the only really effective means to set up a prototype route for Trainz. There is a learning curve involved but the author includes a set of detailed tutorials and any experienced route builder should master the workflow in a short space of time.
    Vern.

TransDEM is great.

Even I can develop routes.

Harold

Thanks Vern and Harold for that information. Would you guys know of a tutorial that explains how to get custom made ground textures into Trainz? And is there a way to do this without having to put the texture on the DLS? The DLS, if I understand it, is giving me some confusion. Just what is it? Thanks! - Rich

I'm sure I had seen a tutorial for creating ground textures but can't for the life of me find it.

There is the Trainz Wiki http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/Modeling which is a bit jumbled but might have some relevant information.

Would be of interest as I have a number of texture patches acquired over the years which I would like to see in my own routes. I don't think it's as difficult as creating textures for the DTG-TS (blueprints and all that), but from what I can recall, you need to ensure the texture also has a normal map.

It is perfectly possible to host your created assets outside the Download Station - DLS, indeed one or two of my routes are in the file library here. That has the advantage of avoiding the rather insidious N3V T&C of using the DLS, that by uploading anything there you give them the right to use your content as they see fit - which means it could end up in a payware route or even a built in route with, AFAIK, precious little recognition or even reward for the original author. Of course, 99.9% of stuff uploaded is simply shared as a freeware asset but something to be aware of.

The disadvantage of external hosting is that most of the Trainz content sharing does revolve around the DLS. It has been a source of some frustration downloading a route or item of rolling stock, to find it needs assets from another location, particularly when you find the site no longer exists.
    Vern.

Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior

Once you get settled in, would also suggest you check out Transdem which, if you weren't already aware, is the one stop shop for getting a basic DEM route with mapping overlay into Trainz Surveyor ready to edit.

Originally Posted by hminky

TransDEM is great.

Even I can develop routes.
    Big thank you to Vern and Harold for the links regarding Transdem. I have downloaded the YouTube video and will set some time aside to study it. Would like to have a go at either BNSF Bakersfield Sub or Union Pacific Fresno sub using Transdem.

Originally Posted by rgarber

Would you guys know of a tutorial that explains how to get custom made ground textures into Trainz? And is there a way to do this without having to put the texture on the DLS? The DLS, if I understand it, is giving me some confusion.
    Just what is it? Thanks! - Rich
    N3v have some good videos for beginners on range of subjects you will probably want to refer to from time to time.

https://www.youtube.com/user/n3vgames/videos

Here's a couple of quick links from their page that might help you for creating ground textures, modifying and installing etc.

Trainz - Content Creation - #1 - How to create a ground texture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfG6RnzcLYs

Trainz - Content Creation - #33 - Convert Old Ground Textures to PBR / Parallax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDKXWd4zOV4

Hope this helps

Cheers

James
    Last edited by WesternDivision; 07-09-2019 at 04:16 AM.

Thanks for those link James.
    Vern.

Thanks again guys for the information and links. I'm slowly getting there! Slowly! - Rich