Thread: Hopefully Not Vaporware: R143

Default Hopefully Not Vaporware: R143

Hi,
    here are the first screenshots of my ongoing project: the Kawasaki R143 of the NYC Subway. As it is my first major modelling project, this may still last a long time until it is finished, but I wanted to get community feedback so that I can fix some of the (to the experts) more obvious mistakes before that becomes a problem. I don't really know why I started working on this train and not another, more familiar, as I've never even seen a real R143 in my life and modelled this off YouTube videos and photos on the Internet.
    R143_A_01.jpg
    R143_A_02.jpg
    R143_A_03.jpg
    R143_A_04.jpg
    Open Rails 2019-07-03 03-14-41.jpg

The train will be mainly for Open Rails, but I will probably also make a version for MSTS. I also want to make the source files openly accessible, so that content creators can take advantage of my work (it is for the community, not for money).
    Have a nice day,
    mmax

Looking wonderful so far mmax, especially if you've been working off of videos and photos. You've certainly gotten much farther than any of my own projects. What program are you using for modeling?

Thanks!
    I am using Blender.
    I don't have it figured out completely yet, but I'm much better than in the beginning.
    By the way, does anyone know how to make a new vertex where two lines overlap? That would help me very much.
    Have a nice day!
    mmax

Quote Originally Posted by mmax45581 View Post
    Thanks!
    I am using Blender.
    I don't have it figured out completely yet, but I'm much better than in the beginning.
    By the way, does anyone know how to make a new vertex where two lines overlap? That would help me very much.
    Have a nice day!
    mmax
    Select the edge.
    Press W, and select Subdivide.
    Select the new vertex.
    Press Shift + V.
    Slide the vertex along the edge (the proposed vertex location will snap to the grid), and press LMB to place the vertex permanently.

Do same for each edge, then joint vertex.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Hello longiron,
    maybe I didn't say what I wanted correctly, sorry (It probably was that "overlap" I used).
    What I actually wanted to know was how you could make a new vertex at an existing intersection of two edges. That knowledge would help me very much when I'll redo the front of the R143 as the current one has way too much uneven faces.
    Have a nice day!
    mmax

Never mind, figured it out myself...
    But thank you anyway, for taking your time to respond to me.
    Have a nice day!
    mmax

Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Default R143: Hey, I'm back

So, this new knowledge as well as real life kept me busy for a while...
    Now I am back with some new shots of my R143. I completely reworked the front, back, sides, doors and windows and added new detail to the bogie and interior. The side connection between the bogie and carbody still looks weirdly small and exposed...
    And I'm asking myself if the holding rods are deliberately designed this way to drive me to desperation and drive the poly count up (currently over 30000 polys without the second bogie, but it'll probably be less when I'm finished cleaning it up).

R143A_2_02.jpg
    R143A_2_03.jpg
    R143A_2_04.jpg
    R143A_2_05.jpg

Have a nice day!
    mmax