Thread: Wherry Lines (DLC)

Default Wherry Lines (DLC)

Picked this up for £12.49 in the Steam sale - wasn't going to pay full price and ISTR this was the route which stoked a lot of controversy when the developer (Armstrong Powerhouse) originally released it on their own store at something like £40?

Well my verdict so far would be around 7/10 - it is a reasonable effort but not quite the masterpiece some might proclaim and certainly would not, IMHO, been worth the original AP asking price. Total route length is 44 miles and consists of both routes from Norwich to Great Yarmouth and the section form Reedham to Lowestoft. Scenery is pretty flat as to be expected on the Norfolk Broads, though there are one or two gradients on the more direct line via Acle. Maximum speed is 60 MPH with several lower restrictions at various locations. Scenery is generally well done with many custom objects but the tracklaying leaves a little to be desired. While admittedly a fault with the original Kuju/DTG track system which persists to this day, in many locations the route builder has not tried to eliminate the blocked frog syndrome at points and crossings. Otto (bless him) would have been having kittens. There are quite a few doglegs here and there too around junctions which kind of spoils the effect.

Rolling stock consists of a Class 170 DMU (yawn) and the Class 37/4 with Mark 2D coaching stock (more like it!). Generally well done and certainly the 37 sound can't be faulted, other than I couldn't hear any field diverts kicking in. Also AP have chosen to deliver the correct muted in cab sound, so if you want the thrash you have to drive with head out or external view. With top and tailed locos on 3 coaches, both powering the consist takes off like a rocket. I couldn't see any way to shut down the rear loco to get a slightly more realistic performance though, again, this is more likely a limitation of the game itself.

A generous number of scenarios have been provided for both types of motive power so full credit to AP on that. However at least one scenario has you waiting 15 minutes at a location where you reverse which really makes you wish DTG built a speed up time function into their game.

In conclusion, worth what I paid for it (I rarely buy full price DLC these days) providing you accept it is not quite the train sim nirvana that it was originally billed as. This route would also form a good basis for a TSW project.
    Vern.

Well, it took over a year to make and this reflects in the route build. There are quite a few nicely constructed scenery items that make this layout a lot more authentic, the swing bridges at Reedham and Somerleyton, the semaphore signals, jointed track, the various stations along the route and the many signal boxes are all hand crafted. Now, if he'd have shoved in a split headcode Stratford Class 37 and a silver roofed 47, and some 1980s scenarios, that would have been the icing on the cake......

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

I like the route Vern, but not the modern era loco and rolling stock.

One of my daughters lives in Yarmouth (Gorleston). So i have seen the station quite a few times.

Needed to be 60's - 70's setting for my taste. But when i had it installed, i use to run the Class 105 over it in Green and Blue liveries.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Yes I am enjoying the transitions from CWR to jointed track and vv. Also the signal scripting for the semaphores is very good - N3V and Open Rails could take note!

Must admit I'm looking at the scenario editor and thinking Class 105 Cravens and maybe Class 31's on holiday relief trains.
    Vern.

Two lengths of jointed rail as well if i remember correctly, Vern.

Yes a nice 31 plodding along would be quite enjoyable.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

I had a 31 on some fish vans from Lowestoft for a scenario that I created and a 40 on a relief from Sheffield to Yarmouth circa 1982, the only thing is that Norwich and environs is electrified, so, a bit offputting from playing with anything pre-1985 in that location, unfortunately.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Yes the era disparity struck me yesterday evening setting up 1M74 0957 out of Yarmouth, Class 31 and Class 101 DMU's on the AI don't quite fit under the OLE.

Gave the 170 a try out - sound is good but as expected the standard wonky "Sprinter" physics with partial throttle settings acting only as a cruise control, even running downhill. Thought AP might have worked some magic with that, but seems not.
    Vern.