Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Massive Sale on for TSW

Default Massive Sale on for TSW

Massive Sale on for TSW ...or so an e-mail I received today tells me. Not sure if this is international? (sorry deleted the mail)

Discounts up to 60% from some at 30%.

Guess it's not selling well?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Guess it's not selling well?
    My guess is as good as your guess, but I guess we are both guessing right, LOL.

TSW is in every sale at every opportunity, but with the current limited game play, the persistent number of bugs, and without any possibility for user creative input, the game is as good as dead.
    Train simulation games are only a small market, and TSW's (and perhaps DTG's) reputation fleets in front of them.

The "Ultimate in Realism" in train simulation that DTG promised us over two years ago appear to be boots a few sizes too large for DTG to fit in comfortably.
    Last edited by Edwin; 07-09-2019 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    My guess is as good as your guess, but I guess we are both guessing right, LOL.

The "Ultimate in Realism" in train simulation that DTG promised us over two years ago appear to be boots a few sizes too large for DTG to fit in comfortably.
    Unfortunately, I feel your right. The editor allowing the user to work on routes (which was promised) hinders the enjoyment of TSW. Closed (locked)switches on routes blocking entrance to various yards, no new scenarios, original routes left abandoned by TSW. My patience is running out.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

Ain't that the truth Edwin, all of it.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Suspect this just pushing the end of the general Steam Sale. Bought a couple of items for the mainstream DTG-TS - Wherry Lines and some RhB stuff, but TSW needs a huge re-work before I invest anything else in it - even at bargain basement prices. Would rather buy one of the bus sims, or Farm Sim 19.
    Vern.

rt35ge made the best comment so far this month, and I'll quote him/her word for word - The day DTG understands how their own game is supposed to function will be the day they perhaps turn the corner.

And that is the problem, it'll be 6 bloody years in October since they created this TSW project, us PC users have been blindly led up the garden path that this was going to be the best train simulator in the world, and then they turned it into the only thing they knew would financially work, an arcade game for console players, 'cos all their senior management are ex-Electronic Arts staff, that's how they think and they've realised that's where the money is to keep them afloat, and yet these customers have now seen the light and they themselves have turned on DTG and told them they are crap and to get themselves sorted out otherwise they will go bust, and that will be the be all and end all, they haven't a clue as to what they are doing, they have unleashed a behemoth that they can't control, they are in a downward spiral, if you'll forgive the flightsim pun, coming out with numerous sales to generate revenue 'cos they're in it up to their necks. This editor is supposed to have been released for a beta since last Christmas, I don't know anyone who has seen it, it's now July, are they that inept that it's taken over 7 months to test something, or, has it been one long fob off to quieten everyone down and they are praying that we'll just keep paying our money to them month after month, sale after sale, they are all incompetent, and we've paid the price for attempting to be loyal. it's now just too pathetic.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 07-09-2019 at 09:39 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Their past history has been less than exemplary. Their main TS still has numerous bugs they never got round to fixing and as discussed in another recent thread, many of their physics cludges (Sprinter DMU's, Class 70 that runs through treacle when light engine) have never been re-worked into a correct rendition, oh and don't forget the use of hi-res DEM in the editor causing crashes around lines of absolute latitude.

Their foray into Flight Sim World was a total disaster, in addition to taking probably £1000's in early access sales which was never fully delivered on presumably they still owe MS big time for the failed licensing. I also remember reading on the Flight Sim forums that they sent the marketing girl to one of the big flight sim conventions, who was totally out of her depth when the technical questions started coming thick and fast.

At this point, N3V look to be more the more professional developer and I never thought I would say that!
    Vern.

I guess the Rail Sim community would never have existed had it not been for MSTS? With no real alternative the community rolled up it's sleeves and bought amateur (as in unpaid for rather than unprofessional work) expertise to the table. They fixed stuff, improved the sim (pretty much as far as possible given the 2001 D.O.B?) and some then went on to create Open Rails.

We had several "carrots" dangled before us. Who remembers these:

Train Artisan's efforts to create a Rail Sim.

Precision Engineering.

MSTS2 ...take one.

MSTS2 ...take two

...and that of course ignores the various incarnations of Trainz.

The hard truth is that None of the above ever surfaced. Trainz was the subject of the most intensive LOVE/HATE relationship by it's users? ....and many of their posts over the years make some of the DTG criticisms seem like Deja Vu?

One thing that does surprise me a little, and bear in mind I decided back in the days of RW that this wasn't for me, is that back in the days of RW there were several 3rd party Add-on publishers? Given that I haven't been following progress closely, do they still exist? If not for TSW for the TS programmes?

I ask because I'm surprised that none of them have come up with fixes independently of DTG?

Finally it's interesting to note that Cascade Game Foundry http://www.cascadegamefoundry.com/projects/ , set up by some of the MSTS2 (take two) development team, never ventured anywhere near Rail Simulators again. Their scuba sim also has the potential of VR and given such "new toys" potential Rail Simming is only ever going to be a niche market?

I have to say that the reported faults, lack of freeware and current course of DTG makes it pretty unlikely that I'll ever invest. So what? Well if folk like me who've been looking at Rail Sims since the Spectrum won't invest ...the VR shoot'em up brigade are not going to either.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post

At this point, N3V look to be more the more professional developer and I never thought I would say that!
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, oh hell Vern thanks for cheering me up on this grey West Wales morning.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

As you know Geoff, I was also around before MSTS (1) and things were very much community based then. The likes of Train Driver 3 (the Amiga Emulator programme), Railsim (the original one by Jens Schubert) and the early western dabblings with BVE. And I can never forget Simudrive with its text based screen and zero sound other than a few clicks and burps from the PC speaker.

DTG or as it was back in the beginning Kuju/EA always had a love/hate relationship with their customer base. Even back in the early days leading up to Rail Simulator (2006/2007) they were looking at how to bring fan support in house. I remember how my "contact" with them got abruptly curtailed on seeing the pre-release shots of RS and commenting it looked no better than Trainz. Then on release we had the initial policy that anyone wanting to create payware needed to pony up a £1000 licence fee. That was eventually revoked but then we had the changes to the EULA as the programme evolved through RSDL/RSC into Railworks to where we are now.

Into the TSW era, we have the marketing guy (Mr. P, who I always previously had a great respect for) making all sorts of statements and promises the company can't keep. Actually come to think of it, the promised renameable station signs for TS never did materialise either!
    Vern.