Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Massive Sale on for TSW

On a broader scale, all creative modelling hobbies are in decline and getting ever more expensive.

Us old men failed to pass the interest on to a younger generation?

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    On a broader scale, all creative modelling hobbies are in decline and getting ever more expensive.

Us old men failed to pass the interest on to a younger generation?
    Not something to lay the blame at the feet of "us old men" Edwin.

The difference is that us old men actually didn't have any "virtual worlds" to play in? Sure there were model railways, there were plastic kits of everything from aircraft to military vehicles to cars etc. which DID require some creativity .....but what we did have is the actual world to go out and explore in?

In the UK we had "trainspotting" (Rail Fanning? T'other side of the pond), we had massive cheap air displays, affordable car race meetings etc. When you've seen the real deal the idea of simulating it virtually, along with creating content was almost a dream realised for us?

Now the Console market feeds them un-imagined eye candy and action and all spoon fed? The real world is still out there (least ways it was before I sat down to type this LOL!) but the youngsters today don't seem interested on the stuff that interested our generation when we were their age?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Well I have taken to buying Railway Modeller every other month or so - primarily to get ideas for "model" style routes, not to pursue the real thing (declining manual dexterity and eyesight not to mention the outrageous cost put paid to that. However it is very noticeable that most of the featured layouts and other articles come from people in the 40+ or even 50+ age group.

When I was growing up, I was fascinated by model railways, particularly the shops that typically had an urban labyrinth layout in the window, or the department store at Christmas. It was my one must have toy, though back in those days my parents never had much money so the reality was the clockwork train set, rather than the electric one though one year we did get a Triang "Big Big" O gauge set, replete with plastic track and battery powered loco.

We never had kids or grandkids, more's the pity, so I can't say whether the younger generation feel the same way but I suspect not.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    .....Us old men failed to pass the interest on to a younger generation?
    No. The younger generation have different pastimes to what we had when we were the "younger generation".

To be simplistic, we sat around constructing plastic model aircraft whereas our fathers sat around carving models out of wood.

It is, quite literally, a generation thing and will forever be so.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

My father sat around, just west of the iron curtain, waiting for Ivan to attack.

My mother, myself and my younger sister, were a bit further back. In the British Zone, of West Germany.

I am not interesting in modelling now, i am interested in the railway. Specifically the GWR - BR WR.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    No. The younger generation have different pastimes to what we had when we were the "younger generation".

To be simplistic, we sat around constructing plastic model aircraft whereas our fathers sat around carving models out of wood.

It is, quite literally, a generation thing and will forever be so.
    Indeed. And you are right too, my granddad built model ships out of wood, using mostly scrap pieces that took a lot of work or from tin plate cut from his cigar boxes.

So the past generation was modelling in scrap wood and metal, the current generation (we) in kit plastic, the coming generation in virtual 'nothingness' (just electrons that need to be constantly energised to maintain their shape and form on PC and PlayStation).

But we all agree on TSW: without the possibility to 'play with trains' to our liking, i.e. edit, create, share, it has very little appeal on 'old school' railway modellers.

So far, DTG has brought nothing to TSW that allows creativity. Even their promised editor has vanished off the radar. I think the thoroughly DRM'd UE4 platform is not suited to open world creative games after all.
    Last edited by Edwin; 07-12-2019 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    My father sat around, just west of the iron curtain, waiting for Ivan to attack........etc.
    I was generalising, Mike. Using an analogy to show that each younger generation is into something quite different to that of their parents generation.

Technology has an awful lot to do with it.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I knew that Bruce, i was just being an idiot as usual.

We were there though 1956 - 1960.

When my later dad was young, i doubt his family had money for him to have hobbies, Bruce.

Yeah and with the evolution of technology, comes an acceleration of advancements as well.

New and more exciting things arrive far faster now than they did in our day.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post

New and more exciting things arrive far faster now than they did in our day.

Mike.
    ...and so does the Es Aitch One Tee too Mike
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    ...and so does the Es Aitch One Tee too Mike
    Got that in one Geoff. I talk EAOT constantly, as you may have noticed.

Mike.