Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: boston to albany route

I have Michael Stephan's unfinished B&A route with his permission to release it when I want. Still work to do but I hope to get it into beta shape after B&O is complete.

Here's a shot of Mosaic of the route as it stands today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Thats great! What era is this route? Looking forward to it and Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    I have Michael Stephan's unfinished B&A route with his permission to release it when I want. Still work to do but I hope to get it into beta shape after B&O is complete.

Here's a shot of Mosaic of the route as it stands today.
    Dave Edwards

Wasn't he usually a steam era guy?

That track map looks more like a Boston metro area commuter route than just the Boston Line.

Quote Originally Posted by PXSE View Post
    Wasn't he usually a steam era guy?
    With any Luck! LOL! ...I refer late readers to the last part of my post #10 in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by PXSE View Post
    That track map looks more like a Boston metro area commuter route than just the Boston Line.
    Well define "commuter" because some commutes into cities are quite long? In any case don't knock it because Every Route starts somewhere and if it Starts in Boston in sure beats all those Western desert routes that start nowhere, climb a load of steep hills and then end nowhere.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Found a better overview of the route. Looks like it includes B&A and some connections with other RRs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

That's a lot of good Boston area trackage with the Grand Junction RR, Framingham Secondary, and what is now the MBTA Providence, Franklin, Fairmount, and Worcester Lines. A quality New Haven route would certainly be a sight to behold...

Quote Originally Posted by longiron View Post
    Found a better overview of the route. Looks like it includes B&A and some connections with other RRs
    Transferring Framingham and Walpole on to Google Maps it gives those both rail journey times of about 1 hour. With the trackage in between that's got to provide plenty of opportunity for activities? As an urban area to place scenery at the level of Buffalo or the LIRR that's one huge chunk of real estate?! Being as North and South Station are so central is that level of scenery even possible?

Here's the reality of the scenery involved....

Framingham bottom Left and Walpole bottom Right...

B&A Route.jpg

And Boston North and South with the scenery that you's see from either....

B&A Route2.jpg
    Geoff
    UK

BTW whilst we're looking at "Bawstin".... Type MBTA into Trolleys and Subways. That's a lot of Tram models that have been waiting 17 years for a route to run on ! 3 Types for the Green Line alone. In fact the MBTA Green Line would be a route in itself?
    Geoff
    UK

Sorry guys. What you have been looking at is not the Boston and Albany, but the 6 lines of the MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority.
    Framingham/Worcester, Fitchburg, Providence/Stoughton, Kingston/Plymouth, Newburyport/Rockport and Franklin.

The B&A ran primarily on what is today the MBTA Framingham/Worcester line. Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited (Boston Section) runs on the original line beyond Worcester through Springfield an Pittsfield to Albany/Rensselaer (Berkshire Subdivision)

B&A_Map.jpg
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce

Thats what I was hoping for.. Boston to Albany (either Selkirk to terminate or Albany-Rennsalaer) Grueling grades and hills... Boston Line (on Conrail) is the most steepest mountain railroad by a tad bit than Pittsburgh Line.
    Dave Edwards