Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Changing track properties.

  1. #1

    Default Changing track properties.

    Hello, so I am working on electrifying the pacific surfliner route. At the moment I am placing the the gantires and connecting all the wires and then once I am finished with that I will need to edit the track properties to set the electrification to overhead wires. My question is, is there a way to select all the track at once and change the properties either with the tools in the editor or with a 3rd party program like RWTools? The game seems to freeze on me if I select to much track witht the select too and I would prefer to not have to go down the entire length of the track and change the properties in small sections if I can do it all at once.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Swindon, England
    Posts
    4,626

    Default

    No AFAIK you need to work through the route selecting each section you wish to electrify.
    Vern.

  3. #3

    Default

    Thanks for the reply. It's to bad you can change them all at once. Now I'm wondering if I should go back and electrify the parts where I have already placed the gantries or just wait until I'm finished with that then go back through the route to change the properties.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    S.W.WALES
    Posts
    1,623

    Default

    You can remove electrification from the track properties using RW Tools.

    But as Vern rightly posted, i don't think it works in reverse.

    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

  5. #5

    Default

    Using RW_Tools or serz.exe you can decompile the tracks.bin into a tracks.xml.

    Using a good .xml editor you can try to search and bulk replace all the values of the properties of electrification.

    Drop the tracks.xml back on serz.exe should give you a compiled tracks.bin again.

    Don’t know how that will work out, procedural loft overhead wires floating over every track?

    So best keep a backup of your original tracks.bin somewhere safe.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    S.W.WALES
    Posts
    1,623

    Default

    No need to decompile Edwin, just open the .bin file with RW Tools.

    RW Tools also automatically makes a back up of the .bin file for you.

    Make your edits and save it. But he will have a hell of a job working out where he needs to insert the "electrification" edits.

    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    No need to decompile Edwin, just open the .bin file with RW Tools.

    RW Tools also automatically makes a back up of the .bin file for you.

    Make your edits and save it. But he will have a hell of a job working out where he needs to insert the "electrification" edits.

    Mike.
    I was hinting on a bulk search and replace.

    I don't trust RW_Tools on bulk search and replace operations on a file 88 MB in size and 1850597 lines. Better use Notepad++ or one of the specialised .xml editors that allow block search and replace on large files.

    But after examining this tracks.xml I believe the presence of electrification depends on the code blocks:
    Code:
    <ElectrificationBlueprintID>
    ...
    </ElectrificationBlueprintID>
    
    and
    
    <Network-cTrackNetworkElectrification>
    ....
    </Network-cTrackNetworkElectrification>
    which cannot be bulk replaced since they only pertain to certain sections of track defined in the surrounding larger <Network_Trackribbon> blocks which only the route editor knows to find and identify.

    So I think the OP only rests the tedious task of editing each section of track in the route editor.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    S.W.WALES
    Posts
    1,623

    Default

    I use RW Tools for any .bin file editing, Edwin.

    But as you say the OP has no chance of adding electrification in a bulk edit.

    I have only ever done it to remove electrification for a whole route.

    Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    I was hinting on a bulk search and replace.

    I don't trust RW_Tools on bulk search and replace operations on a file 88 MB in size and 1850597 lines. Better use Notepad++ or one of the specialised .xml editors that allow block search and replace on large files.

    But after examining this tracks.xml I believe the presence of electrification depends on the code blocks:
    Code:
    <ElectrificationBlueprintID>
    ...
    </ElectrificationBlueprintID>
    
    and
    
    <Network-cTrackNetworkElectrification>
    ....
    </Network-cTrackNetworkElectrification>
    which cannot be bulk replaced since they only pertain to certain sections of track defined in the surrounding larger <Network_Trackribbon> blocks which only the route editor knows to find and identify.

    So I think the OP only rests the tedious task of editing each section of track in the route editor.
    I think this is the way to go although it's more tedious it sounds like it's much easier than trying to edit the files.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jt233 View Post
    I think this is the way to go although it's more tedious it sounds like it's much easier than trying to edit the files.
    If you want to bulk change or remove electrification or other <Network_TrackRibbon> parameters, this is the way to go, like Haverfordwest suggested.

    If you want to add overhead wire and set electrification properties on only certain pieces of <Network_TrackRibbon> you need to find and identify these first.

    But you could try to electrify all the track on the Pacific Surfliner using the bulk search and replace, and remove/change the wires later using the graphical route editor?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •