Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fonda Johnstown and Gloversville v2

Default Fonda Johnstown and Gloversville v2

Hi All,

With the help of Nels Anderson via Dropbox, the FJ&Gv2 is finally been uploaded. Not sure why but I've not been able to upload the route myself. I have to think it's something to do with the three updates from Microsoft at the beginning of the week, or the lunar eclipse in Argentina. Anyway, the route is uploaded and Nels should have it in the library tomorrow.

Paul :-)

Encountered a small glitch when it was discovered that my rental did not fit inside the garage. lol For some reason, the firecracker antenna, horn, and cab window sun shades kept hitting the building.

I simply scaled the fondaenginehouse.s to 1.06 in all 3 directions (X Y and Z values) and all is fine now, no need to RE anything.

Sunshades are collapsible, maybe they should be animated!

Paul, A very heartfelt "THANK YOU" for the updated FJ&G route in the 1970's & 1980's era. This is another railroad I did find out about very early in life & was lucky to see it operate in the very early DO years. Was the year of the Bi-Centennial, I was 12 and my family was doing a "Road-Tour" vacation through NY State. Staying at the Johnstown-Gloversville Holiday Inn, my dad and I decided to take a walk around town while my mom & sis went to the pool. Imagine me when I came upon those little orange & black S-2's working a local. Lucky for the 2 days there before we headed up towards Lake George & Placid. I got to enjoy watching the workings of the FJ&G in the second year under DO rule.

A year later, I too enjoyed the Harold Russle articles in Model Railroader. They had a lot of input for my layout I was building at the time. Then in 1980 when the DO aquired the NYSW I thought happy days. Trainmaster John Treen of the NYSW would tell me when FJG power would be down in Little Ferry so I could scope it out. Sadly one day in 1984 he told me the FJG was being formally abandoned by the DO. Between '84 to '89, John would tell me when some of the FJG equipment along with some LASB would take their last ride just to be broken up for scrap. One piece still exists, a former PC 40' boxcar with fading FJG markings. It is used for MOW storage under the I-80 overpass on the Saddle Brook - Rochelle Park border. I will snap a pic next time I am in the area.

But you really recaptured the FJG the way I was first introduced to it Paul. Giving it the 1st run today, I was sent back to the "Summer of '76" walking with my dad to its tracks with a Kodak Instamatic 126 in my hand loaded with a new roll of 36 exposures in it and ready to snap.

And to all using the route in Open Rails. Set the vibration to "Level 3" (CTNL-V) to get the full experience. When I first saw the FJG, I noticed how much it looked like the NYSW's Main and Passaic Branch 7 MPH ROWs of the 1970's. There was a lot of rockin' & rollin' I do remember.
    - Mark -

Thanks Mark,

Way back in the olden days I modeled Fonda in HO scale. It's too bad there wasn't any decent power in N scale back then. Never seen the FJ&G in the flesh myself, only got down as far as DeWitt yard in Syracuse.

I too am very pleased with this update to one of my favorite routes of his, (the first one he granted the privilege to me of beta testing). It brings it to the FJ&G that I too first found in the article already mentioned, as well as the excellent book by Randy Decker. Below are a few shots from the updated route with a few personal mods I have made to this excellent route.

Paul

I too have Randy's book, must have had it for nearly 20 years now!

Paul,

I think I have had mine for the same length of time.
    Paul

Giving one of the supplied activities a spin.