Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BR Various

BR Blue Paddington - Swindon workshop route and scenario.

Apparently i am working a diverted Paddington - Swansea service. But scenario starts north of Oxford, weird.

Vern correct me if i am wrong but i didn't think there was any bi-directional running between Paddington - Swindon in the 1970's - early 1980's ? WR split code 37's are a definite no no. Rarer than a virgin in a brothel.

I was bored by Swindon, so i just kept going.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Vern correct me if i am wrong but i didn't think there was any bi-directional running between Paddington - Swindon in the 1970's - early 1980's ? WR split code 37's are a definite no no. Rarer than a virgin in a brothel.

I was bored by Swindon, so i just kept going.
    Sorry Mike, only just saw this!

I moved to Swindon in '84 and there was definitely reversible working by then. Not sure when it was implemented - possibly late 70's to coincide with HST introduction.

Re Swindon, that's why we go to Bath, Bristol, Cardiff or even Reading for shopping. The town centre is a complete dump, a mixture of £1 shops, mobile phone unlocking shops and bookies. The council have given up trying to attract new business and instead have fitted out some of the abandoned shops with false fronts, to give the impression they are in use! We do have a half decent Wetherspoons (Savoy), but that is pretty much the highlight of the place. Thankfully the transport links out of the town are pretty good (road and rail).
    Vern.

No worries Vern, nothing important.

Oh there was bi-directional signalling that early.

I was at the Training School in the 1960's and have never been back to Swindon since the very early 1970's.

I believe the town centre was completely rebuilt in the mid 1970's. Or so i was told by an aquaintance, who was at the Training School in 1982. He was Swindon born and bred.

Mind it was never exactly the centre of the universe, apart from the railway.

Reading has always been nice for the shops. I remember when The Butts Shopping Centre was opened, probably not even there now. It was at the far end of Broad Street.

Mike.