Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LOL, TSW 2019 isn't even fully developed and bug free, there comes TSW 2020

Who are you calling a wart, Vernon ? I am more of a puss filled pimple or a boil that needs lancing.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    I don't post in this part of the forum, but I always enjoy reading the threads, especially when new items arrive on scene.
    The only point everyone seems to miss, is that without the aptly phrased "kiddie-stuff" how are the "kids" going to be enticed into the train sim world...perhaps a small percentage will get tired of the "kid stuff" and get interested in real world physics and such...then, perhaps move over to OR or RUN8? Any avenue into the community is good...( honest disclosure...I stay away from STEAM for all the usual reasons given ).
    Sorry to barge in.
    Yes, don't apologise for barging in at all, it's a free forum where the vast majoprity of us can hopefully discuss things ad hoc with lots of different opinions, thoughts and suggestions are aired. I would agree that a few console players might be enticed to move over to one of the other simulators, particularly RUN8, as that caters for North American railfans specifically, and I'm sure they might enjoy it more.

The problem for DTG is that they have lost future customers, not a very productive business plan, and impossible to sustain and develop their growth if folks are leaving to go elsewhere taking their money with them, but, they'll probably just say that as one leaves another one joins, so, income will be at a steady level, we'll wait and see how what transpires.

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post

My view -- kids will become enticed if:

2. They can construct their own routes -- but this requires an easy to master editor.

Phil
    I don't own an XBox or a Playstation, but, I was under the impression Phil, that any games on these consoles are not edittable by the player, there is no function to get inside a game to do any manual adjustments, is there, so, no editor will ever be created for consoles, will it, as they are owned by Sony & PS who run things in-house, so, all current players will only be able to play with what is given them directly from DTG, as it is now.
    I'm sure it was advertised awhile ago that it's only the PC players who would get an editor.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 07-17-2019 at 05:20 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

No.....I think we noticed it, thus the reason for referring to the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    Bottom line is it's still a game in my book because Sims have made possible third party and freeware .....
    If you are a Steam client, and browse the wares, you will note that the term "simulation" is being used very freely by games producers to describe stuff which isn't within a bull's roar of simulating anything in the real world: you cannot simulate a fantasy, because it doesn't exist in the first place.

Yet they think that labelling a sci-fi, space-based shoot-em-up a "simulation" will attract the bubble-gum brigade.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by PXSE View Post
    Listening to them banter on and on is like passing through the brandy snifting and smoking jacket area of First Class section aboard the Titanic.
    Oh!? You were there, were you?
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    ....I am more of a puss filled pimple...
    "Pus", Mike. Unless you are occupied by several or more cats.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    I don't own an XBox or a Playstation, but, I was under the impression Phil, that any games on these consoles are not edittable by the player, there is no function to get inside a game to do any manual adjustments.....
    Correct, Steve.
    An XBox controller (or Playstation etc) does not have the inputting capacity of a keyboard & mouse combination.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    "Pus", Mike. Unless you are occupied by several or more cats.
    Ok ok just cos i didn't go to grammar school, with all the other swats, Bruce.

I made it two s's cos it's a huge pimple.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

To get back to the OP's point, I don't see anything different about DTG releasing a new version of TSW without all the bug fixes in place, or, the other features the game was suppose to have but doesn't. It's typical of the software industry. But I get the OP's gist and it's a well used refrain by me too. The whole software industry runs on that estimation that more is good even if it's not worth it. And they get away with it. Which is not to say all software is bad. A lot of times software doesn't make sense because unlike the early days of games, especially, they used to come with designer notes included. And that was helpful because they'd often give you their perspective of the design.

For instance. I'm using a newly made and released photo program which is a sequel to one they distributed before. Built from scratch they say. And so with the new one I went to do a tga export only to find there a tga export function. I was flabbergasted. How can this be? So before I went and joined the "rantfest" I checked the original paint program I had used of theirs and lo and behold, the tga export function wasn't there either (and I would've sworn up and down it was). Here comes my point. Interestingly one fella chimed in the rantfest who was all for the TGA export function not being in the program argued that technically a TGA, because it includes height information in one of the channels, wouldn't qualify as a photo enhancement feature. And the more I thought about it, despite the horrific inconvenience for me, it did make sense.

So the moral of my story is I think the industry would be better served if the designers spoke more about the origins and whys of their programs like they used to do in the game industry. With my own routes I used to include a Designer Notes section in my manuals. It was fun to write why I did routes the way I did. And it helped to calm down speculation. Boring for you guys but great on the budget to not have to buy so many nerve pills.

I never did buy TSW so all I can say about it is the graphics look so great. Game-play-wise, DTG is what it is, more graphics than substance so I can imagine TSW won't advance much into better game play because I don't think DTG understands railroading or even why they make a railroading game. It has always been a wonder to me how so many people get involved with something they don't seem to care much about and DTG and railroading is practically an oxymoron. No offense intended it's just an observation.

As for Marc, the last time I spoke with him which has been a good three months, at least, there wasn't any discussion of his route being sold to anybody and this was at the height of the "where's waldo?" thread, so I doubt he's part of whatever it is you'all are talking about whereas he's concerned. There was some pretty big personal issues that was going on in his life then. And lastly, I think the whole pre-release sale "thing", which I don't think is being done anymore anyway, has proven itself over and over to not be the greatest thing to buy into. It's better to buy something that's finished. You never really finish a route. But you can get sick of doing one. And then it's finished.

Which begs the question of the whole Kickstarter thing. I can't do that stuff unless the payoff is that big to override the risk.

Okay, after this was brief has been never was All Aboard time-out.

I'll turn you guys back over to whatever you all are foaming about this time. Love it, it's been years...

Rich

Discussion at RWA indicates the West Coast route *might* be part of the Caltrain network, based on the PR picture of a platform edge from DTG!
    Vern.

Some nice yards and industry along the route. I'll be watching.
    Interested in all Train-Sims