Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LOL, TSW 2019 isn't even fully developed and bug free, there comes TSW 2020

Very true in regards freeware and third party.

Control freakery only ever leads to tears.

Suppose i better get my MEP disc out and download OR.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

I don't post in this part of the forum, but I always enjoy reading the threads, especially when new items arrive on scene.
    The only point everyone seems to miss, is that without the aptly phrased "kiddie-stuff" how are the "kids" going to be enticed into the train sim world...perhaps a small percentage will get tired of the "kid stuff" and get interested in real world physics and such...then, perhaps move over to OR or RUN8? Any avenue into the community is good...( honest disclosure...I stay away from STEAM for all the usual reasons given ).
    Sorry to barge in.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Hi Gerry --

Don't apologise for barging in. All views are welcome here.

My view -- kids will become enticed if:
    1. They can roam the routes at will -- none of this locked switches nonsense.
    2. They can construct their own routes -- but this requires an easy to master editor.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    Hmmm, what Marc Nelson's Tehachapi Pass, I wouldn't have thought so, Edwin? There were some American guys asking on the TSW forum for Superliners, or, Amtrak doubledeckers, as DTG have a licence for Amtrak content, so, it's possibly a West Coast route as they haven't done one of those yet, we'll have to wait until 15th August to find out. Cue the hype..........Cheerz. Steve.
    OK....IF Tehachapi ends up being the ROUTE, is this the SAME route Marc has been working on for TS. (Introduced when we were at TS 2017 I think....) That route is still being worked on. Many of us made a "early payment" in return for updated BETA downloads of the route. When finished, those who paid early got a official copy at a cheaper price than what will charged when it's finished. For those who paid early, and downloaded the BETA updates, (like me) are we basically screwed out of the money we paid for a unfinished project, or does Marc still intend to finish the route for TS2019?

Guess only Marc can answer that and if he is tied up with DTG, whether Tehachapi or some other route, the NDA is probably along the lines of one wrong word and the lawyers take your house, kids and pension - so unable to comment even if bursting to say something!
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    I don't post in this part of the forum, but I always enjoy reading the threads, especially when new items arrive on scene.
    The only point everyone seems to miss, is that without the aptly phrased "kiddie-stuff" how are the "kids" going to be enticed into the train sim world...perhaps a small percentage will get tired of the "kid stuff" and get interested in real world physics and such...then, perhaps move over to OR or RUN8? Any avenue into the community is good...( honest disclosure...I stay away from STEAM for all the usual reasons given ).
    Sorry to barge in.
    Trouble is Gerry there's a proportion of this community who grew up thinking that balsa wood kits were cool, went on to enjoy plastic kits, enjoyed electric toy trains etc. ALL of which required imagination and a degree of creativity to enjoy. We were "old men" (in the eyes of any youngster) by the time virtual modelling arrived BUT because we'd modified our balsa and plastic kits, created layouts with our toy trains, even progressed into model railways, we saw immediately the endless possibilities of a virtually modelled world.

Those who've grown up since simulators became a possibility and especially since Play Station and X Box are used to being spoon fed stuff.

I guess that's where the sites like all the simulator forums come in. It's also why the "fan boys" for the newer Sim/Games should welcome input and criticism of various platforms from ANY source.

Nothing ever got fixed or improved by sitting on your hands and doing nought? Of course you have to be ABLE to modify stuff yourself and that is bound to become a frustration with some platforms? That may well get the folk running stuff on a PC looking wider afield? ....but unless things have changed since I last saw one the games boxes don't allow customisation or creativity?

We have to face it that on so many levels it's become a "throw away" world. Almost nothing is built with an intention of being repairable anymore. People like me who spent much of our lives working as technicians became "redundant" in real terms because although we could fix stuff they no longer made the parts to fix them. They just made new ones cheaper so tha when it broke you chucked it and bought a new one.... a bit like game station games too I guess?

To end on a more upbeat note I hope you're right. I hope a few who're dissatisfied with the spoon fed stuff will start looking at the older and customisable Sims.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Now where did i put that spoon.............................

I must be the odd one out in this hobby. I am interested in train games, because i have been mad about trains since i was about 3 yrs old (or so my late parents told me). Plus i worked in the industry, nothing to do with modelling hobbies.

When i drive a train in any game, i am recreating (or trying to) the real world. Not a digital facsimile of a train set or model layout.

I guess that is why they all fail in my eyes.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

If they all fail, how come you all hang around so much?

There are about 6 guys on here who are jacks of all sims and masters of none.

Listening to them banter on and on is like passing through the brandy snifting and smoking jacket area of First Class section aboard the Titanic.

Quote Originally Posted by PXSE View Post
    If they all fail, how come you all hang around so much?

There are about 6 guys on here who are jacks of all sims and masters of none.

Listening to them banter on and on is like passing through the brandy snifting and smoking jacket area of First Class section aboard the Titanic.
    ...and HEY! YOU'RE RIGHT HERE WITH THEM ....again.

BTW if you care to read more carefully few (any?) say they all FAIL. No one is comparing like with like for a start. Obviously 19 year old software however much work has been put in will fail to impress the Eye Candy brigade? Likewise restricted access to code prevents improvement on newer Sims shortcomings.

As to what a "master of a sim..." is we all await your pearls...........

The Jacks might just know as much, if not more than some of us????
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

The counter point to Mr PXSE is that while he might object to the "banter" about how bad the sims are, there is also equally nothing worse than the rose tinted fanbois who never fail to miss the opportunity to stroke the developers'... egos, no matter how blatant the errors are. One of the reasons I quit my membership of UKTS, where at on point it seemed at least half the regulars were either working for RSDL (as it was then) or as an associate, with the same "half dozen" or so boot boys delighting in putting down even the slightest criticism, often with tacit and sometimes even overt support from the moderators.

Anyhow I'm now off to play American Truck Sim from SCS Software, which I'm more than please to endorse as an excellent, well programmed and thoroughly enjoyable game.

We hang around here because we do play the games which do have their good points but not afraid to call a wart a wart either.
    Vern.