Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LOL, TSW 2019 isn't even fully developed and bug free, there comes TSW 2020

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default LOL, TSW 2019 isn't even fully developed and bug free, there comes TSW 2020

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/...ucing-tsw-2020

They never change at DTG, do they?

One product still full of bugs and short of the promised features and here comes the next incarnation.

Mystery US West coast route is the only teaser, the rest is regurgitated old stuff, oh, a new 'Journeys' and scoring system for the kids.

About that US West coast route, would 3DTrains that have abandoned its MSTS and TS projects halfway have anything to do with this?
    Edwin "Kanawha"

The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)

It looks like this is basically an upgrade system similar to when they changed Railworks each year. I note if you scroll down the page, you still have to buy the routes which come with the "new" package, if you don't own them. God knows (and who cares) what the US West Coast route is, would hazard a guess at Surfliner but could be just about anywhere from Bellingham down to San Diego.

And still no mention (I can see) of any editor suite, not even a means to mix and match rolling stock or create your own activities.
    Vern.

Oh wow how exciting, all my dreamiepoos have come true in one big cuddly bundle.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ......would hazard a guess at Surfliner .......
    Maybe DTG have picked up the old Facing Point debacle. It would certainly be a marriage of two inept businesses.

And if all the other kiddie-stuff doesn't take the cake, then this one surely does:-
    "Change your scene: The main menu offers you the chance to take a look at the selected locomotive before heading out on the rails, and with Train Sim World 2020, you’ll be able to toggle between different dioramas to display them on."
    Last edited by seagoon; 07-16-2019 at 05:36 PM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I don't post in this part of the forum, but I always enjoy reading the threads, especially when new items arrive on scene.
    The only point everyone seems to miss, is that without the aptly phrased "kiddie-stuff" how are the "kids" going to be enticed into the train sim world...perhaps a small percentage will get tired of the "kid stuff" and get interested in real world physics and such...then, perhaps move over to OR or RUN8? Any avenue into the community is good...( honest disclosure...I stay away from STEAM for all the usual reasons given ).
    Sorry to barge in.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Hi Gerry --

Don't apologise for barging in. All views are welcome here.

My view -- kids will become enticed if:
    1. They can roam the routes at will -- none of this locked switches nonsense.
    2. They can construct their own routes -- but this requires an easy to master editor.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    I don't post in this part of the forum, but I always enjoy reading the threads, especially when new items arrive on scene.
    The only point everyone seems to miss, is that without the aptly phrased "kiddie-stuff" how are the "kids" going to be enticed into the train sim world...perhaps a small percentage will get tired of the "kid stuff" and get interested in real world physics and such...then, perhaps move over to OR or RUN8? Any avenue into the community is good...( honest disclosure...I stay away from STEAM for all the usual reasons given ).
    Sorry to barge in.
    Yes, don't apologise for barging in at all, it's a free forum where the vast majoprity of us can hopefully discuss things ad hoc with lots of different opinions, thoughts and suggestions are aired. I would agree that a few console players might be enticed to move over to one of the other simulators, particularly RUN8, as that caters for North American railfans specifically, and I'm sure they might enjoy it more.

The problem for DTG is that they have lost future customers, not a very productive business plan, and impossible to sustain and develop their growth if folks are leaving to go elsewhere taking their money with them, but, they'll probably just say that as one leaves another one joins, so, income will be at a steady level, we'll wait and see how what transpires.

Quote Originally Posted by philskene View Post

My view -- kids will become enticed if:

2. They can construct their own routes -- but this requires an easy to master editor.

Phil
    I don't own an XBox or a Playstation, but, I was under the impression Phil, that any games on these consoles are not edittable by the player, there is no function to get inside a game to do any manual adjustments, is there, so, no editor will ever be created for consoles, will it, as they are owned by Sony & PS who run things in-house, so, all current players will only be able to play with what is given them directly from DTG, as it is now.
    I'm sure it was advertised awhile ago that it's only the PC players who would get an editor.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 07-17-2019 at 05:20 PM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-railwayman View Post
    I don't own an XBox or a Playstation, but, I was under the impression Phil, that any games on these consoles are not edittable by the player, there is no function to get inside a game to do any manual adjustments.....
    Correct, Steve.
    An XBox controller (or Playstation etc) does not have the inputting capacity of a keyboard & mouse combination.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by R. Steele View Post
    Sorry to barge in.
    Trouble is Gerry there's a proportion of this community who grew up thinking that balsa wood kits were cool, went on to enjoy plastic kits, enjoyed electric toy trains etc. ALL of which required imagination and a degree of creativity to enjoy. We were "old men" (in the eyes of any youngster) by the time virtual modelling arrived BUT because we'd modified our balsa and plastic kits, created layouts with our toy trains, even progressed into model railways, we saw immediately the endless possibilities of a virtually modelled world.

Those who've grown up since simulators became a possibility and especially since Play Station and X Box are used to being spoon fed stuff.

I guess that's where the sites like all the simulator forums come in. It's also why the "fan boys" for the newer Sim/Games should welcome input and criticism of various platforms from ANY source.

Nothing ever got fixed or improved by sitting on your hands and doing nought? Of course you have to be ABLE to modify stuff yourself and that is bound to become a frustration with some platforms? That may well get the folk running stuff on a PC looking wider afield? ....but unless things have changed since I last saw one the games boxes don't allow customisation or creativity?

We have to face it that on so many levels it's become a "throw away" world. Almost nothing is built with an intention of being repairable anymore. People like me who spent much of our lives working as technicians became "redundant" in real terms because although we could fix stuff they no longer made the parts to fix them. They just made new ones cheaper so tha when it broke you chucked it and bought a new one.... a bit like game station games too I guess?

To end on a more upbeat note I hope you're right. I hope a few who're dissatisfied with the spoon fed stuff will start looking at the older and customisable Sims.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Now where did i put that spoon.............................

I must be the odd one out in this hobby. I am interested in train games, because i have been mad about trains since i was about 3 yrs old (or so my late parents told me). Plus i worked in the industry, nothing to do with modelling hobbies.

When i drive a train in any game, i am recreating (or trying to) the real world. Not a digital facsimile of a train set or model layout.

I guess that is why they all fail in my eyes.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt