Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LOL, TSW 2019 isn't even fully developed and bug free, there comes TSW 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
    Looking lifeless as usual.
    I see what you mean ...well did they ever improve on the original RS (remember that far back?) where the passengers "drilled" on the platform before committing suicidal dashes onto the tracks? The attempts to animate passengers in MSTS moved more realistically although they weren't exactly "rounded personalities".... LOL!

Come to that did ANY train Sim ever get "seasonal" passengers? So many girls in summer dresses standing on platforms in pouring rain or blizzards! Trees have been modeled better than passengers
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    I see what you mean ...well did they ever improve on the original RS (remember that far back?) where the passengers "drilled" on the platform before committing suicidal dashes onto the tracks? The attempts to animate passengers in MSTS moved more realistically although they weren't exactly "rounded personalities".... LOL!
    Come to that did ANY train Sim ever get "seasonal" passengers? So many girls in summer dresses standing on platforms in pouring rain or blizzards! Trees have been modeled better than passengers
    They'll never invest time and money doing these things Geoff, the community has been saying it for years that all these ''passenger'' models are one type, youngun's in their 20s/30s, all in t-shirts and jeans, casual wear predominantly, there are no old people, no babies in strollers, no schoolkids, there's nothing on the platforms, no parcels, suitcases, litter, clutter in general, there's just nothing there, how DTG can say they are simulating railway life is a joke and always will be when they give us sterile environments everything is clean and clutterless, just to keep the resources down to help the console players, it's astonishingly bad.
    The platform walkers are better than they used to be, no suicidal maniacs nowadays, but, in TSW they do have a tendency to bunch up and stand on top of each other in certain areas and they float up and down escalators, it still makes me smile.

Cheerz. Steve.
    Last edited by ex-railwayman; 07-27-2019 at 06:19 AM. Reason: re-edit
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Also no animals 🐮

Quote Originally Posted by RailWorkshop View Post
    Train Sim World 2020 will launch on August 15th, and we will have a Digital Deluxe Edition that includes our all-new USA route... Peninsula Corridor: San Francisco - San Jose!
    Oh my! Well... it is their business... they can ruin it however they want.

Odds are the route itself will be well done, look good, etc. etc. as the guys who make routes generally know their subject material... but as far as being interesting ... well... not for me and I rather doubt the overall consensus of opinion will differ, There is a rise of 60ft over 50+ miles. It is double tracked so cross traffic isn't present. No freight trains (anymore). Scenery will be, basically identical, tho the SF portion will look a bit different.

Had it been backdated to say, 1943, and expanded slightly it could have been quite interesting because there was still a lot of freight moving to the Port of San Francisco back then, esp. for the Pacific theater of WWII, and a mix of passenger service. some from Los Angeles, MAIN trains carrying troops, as well as the suburban service. OH WELL.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

There is this website which address I've lost that sort of calculates the expense of creating an asset.

A plastic bag of trash is like 1K USD in artist fees (3D dev time, texturing, exporting, cooking/baking and whatever else)
    A dumpster is 2K,
    A low poly garbage truck is 10K,
    A convincing pile or random junk is 50K,
    and so forth
    (or a pot of flowers, a bush, a tree, a small park scene instead of junk, LOL)
    In other words, it is expensive to create a 'world' full of everyday assets that can freely be re-used, repainted, etc. And it takes time before there is a substantial catalogue of objects.

We see high detail station buildings that are mostly one off models, yet we need convincing general buildings, trees, vehicles, traffic infrastructure etc. once we finally get an editor that allows those so inclined to start route building using these assets.

What do we get? In UE4 everything is cooked solid, and often DRM'd by their authors.

So even if and when we get this editor, it is still unclear what we can actually do with it.
    AFAIK, DTG's struggle with the temporary 'uncooking' of assets is one of the toughest issues with their editor.

Quote Originally Posted by muskokaandtahoe View Post
    Had it been backdated to say, 1943, and expanded slightly it could have been quite interesting because there was still a lot of freight moving to the Port of San Francisco back then, esp. for the Pacific theater of WWII, and a mix of passenger service. some from Los Angeles, MAIN trains carrying troops, as well as the suburban service. OH WELL.
    Yep ....if only some of our fellow Simmers would grab a few books on Railroad History they'd appreciate why GOG's like me keep banging on about the transition era....
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Looking lifeless as usual.
    Ohh
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (115.7 KB, 42 views)

FWIW, nobody I know here in California uses the word Cali. It is, effectively, a sure-fire way of knowing the speaker knows little to nothing about California and has never lived here.
    Dave Nelson

Seldom visiting, posting less often that that.

I would rather see a platform filled with a variety of static passengers than one which is either totally bare or with a handful of animated symbots.
    Let's face it - if you are in the cab of a train and coming into the station then the passengers are not walking up and down like lost sheep; they are standing there, all looking at the approaching train. They are static.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

There is this website which address I've lost that sort of calculates the expense of creating an asset.
    Here are two links that go into the finances of developing a video game:

https://vironit.com/how-much-does-it...-a-video-game/

https://kotaku.com/why-video-games-c...ake-1818508211
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."