Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Eds Trains SW1500 set question for OR

Quote Originally Posted by dedwa15237 View Post
    Re-read once more what I have stated....
    ....so you paid the money and that's the support you got? Tells me a lot actually. BTW it says the custom cabs are courtesy of Maple Leaf Tracks. Did you contact them?
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Again.... Let me copy and paste what I have stated.....

"I have spoken to Eds Trains for assistance, and they have stated it wont see the back view on OR for "some reason" "

So, thats a "yes..." I bought this set many years ago when OR was in beta stages...

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    ....so you paid the money and that's the support you got? Tells me a lot actually. BTW it says the custom cabs are courtesy of Maple Leaf Tracks. Did you contact them?
    Dave Edwards

Quote Originally Posted by geepster775 View Post
    I'm confused. I've never seen a CVF file that had more than 3 primary cab views available, under the 1 key, by scrolling left or right with the arrows.

With old SLI, it was conductor forward, engineer forward and engineer side window.

With new Trainsimulations cabs, it is conductor forward, engineer forward and engineer rearward.

With Diesels West, it usually was conductor forward, engineer forward, and center front window forward.

I guess that is why people are requesting to see the CVF, to see if it's different.

Beyond the use of the 1 view, there is HOME for engineer forward head outside right window with 360 turn, and END for conductor rearward head outside left cab side window with 360 turn. There are no other buttons to add additional in-cab views.

If you have an end-cab switcher, I understand the value of the angles you show in your screens, but in most cases, you have to sacrifice one of your 3 previous viewpoints to make that happen.

How many cab views does it have in MSTS? What are the buttons you are using to access or scroll through them all?
    Using arrow buttons on MSTS in a 360.. Theres 4 views.. One is the engineer view looking long hood forward, one is the conductor, one is the engineer thru window and lastly the reverse window like the screenshot shown.. With OR, same as listed but not the reverse window.
    Dave Edwards

4. Default

Question he was asking is "HOW TO SWITCH CABS TO REVERSE CAB IN OPEN RAILS?" the answer is Ctrl + E
    Toronto Mainline Trains
    www.torontomainlinetrains.ca
    www.mapleleaftracks.com A Division Of Toronto Mainline Trains
    Subscribe Youtube
    Like Us On Facebook
    Follow Us On Twitter

Since I have been with the Open Rails team for some years now, this "bug" if it is a bug would be of interest to the team. However, without a test case to determine if it is a "bug" it will never be fixed. That is why I asked about seeing the .cvf/.eng file for this engine.

Personally I have only ever seen three views for camera #1. If this is something new, as in, a capability in MSTS that was unknown, the Open Rails team would like to know about it.

If you want the bug at least looked at, if not fixed, some concrete evidence will be needed, in terms of relevant files. Things cannot be fixed in a vacuum.

Help us help you!

You have some options to see the rear view in a single cab switcher or other engine with a rear window .
    You can replace the right side view with the " rear.ace " and use the "head out " for the right view .
    You can use the #5 view for the rear .
    With a double cab like a GE 44t then use the reverse cab for operation or the other a fore mentioned options .
    They work because I've used them for many years .

Just a suggestion !

I would not look forward to having to release the independents, applying the train brake, and centering my reverser, and jump cabs just to turn my seat around to look out the back window as I back into a spur and make a pickup that avoids bashing the car, and then having to do that process all over again just to return my seat to the forward view to pull out of the spur. If I had a 3 unit set of these end cab switchers, it would take 6 CTRL+Es to look back and 6 more to look forward again.

The cab switching feature is designed for more potent uses in Open Rails that simply turning my head.

Sure, deploy two cabs for engines like the AEM7 or ACS64 with two legitimate cabs. Or with situations like the 44-tonner where MU'ing with other power is non-existant. But someday when MSTS is dead and buried and other vendors get around to making complex activities for open rails that involve cab swaps, engine setouts, operating crew moving from one end of a 8-unit consist to the other end, etc, then the inadequacy of deploying such a needless double cab protocol for this purpose will become more apparent. Especially when it is easier to sacrifice the most useless of the 3 main views to obtain your rear look back more easily through the arrow keys.

Could Open Rails go to more than 3 cabviews without breaking compatibility?

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoMainlineTrains View Post
    Question he was asking is "HOW TO SWITCH CABS TO REVERSE CAB IN OPEN RAILS?" the answer is Ctrl + E

Just did that... Does not work, ddd.JPG
    Dave Edwards

Camera views (in general) are still one of my pet peaves with ORTS. I have the same reaction with new Microsoft Windows releases when they decide to just move things around that didn't need to be changed.

"She's tidied up and I can't find anything - Thomas Dolby"
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Dave, I suggest you take a look at Richard Cowen's SW 1500 he did for the Canton RR. His #1 plus right arrow key view (in ORTS) is from engineer's seat looking out the rear windows. This was done using a MP15Back.ace rather than a XXXright.ace.

Also his ORTS Headout view via the Home key is out engineer's window and via the End key is out Conductor's window. Both can rotate to rear.

BTW his SW1500 was created for MSTS long before ORTS. BUT what I am reporting above is how the Views display in ORTS!
    Last edited by crstagg; 07-18-2019 at 05:09 PM.
    Charles