Thread: Amtrak breaks even on train revenue in about a year

Default Amtrak breaks even on train revenue in about a year

"Mr. Anderson joined Amtrak in July 2017, as part of a move led by Amtrak board chairman Anthony Coscia to stabilize the company’s finances and improve its reliability (Mann)."

Well that's not going too well. All he does is a lot of nonsense. Anyone coming from an airline should be seen as a MASSIVE red flag.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amtrak-...it-11562385660
    Last edited by J.A.V.; 07-17-2019 at 08:12 AM.
    Redefined for better content craftsmanship.

Huh. I've been in the airline industry for over 30 years.

Amtrak is in the business of selling travel and moving people between cities within the United States, and competes directly with Delta for customers.

Maybe you have your own experience in the transportation industry or maybe e-commerce or mass retailing, so you can explain exactly how Anderson is unqualified for the CEO job because Delta used airplanes instead of train cars to move those people?

Quote Originally Posted by eolesen View Post
    Huh. I've been in the airline industry for over 30 years.

Amtrak is in the business of selling travel and moving people between cities within the United States, and competes directly with Delta for customers.

Maybe you have your own experience in the transportation industry or maybe e-commerce or mass retailing, so you can explain exactly how Anderson is unqualified for the CEO job because Delta used airplanes instead of train cars to move those people?
    No. I'm pursuing the graphic design field, but maybe that's just my opinion based off of what he's done since New Year's Eve 2017. Honestly, I've been skeptical since I saw he came from Delta.
    Last edited by J.A.V.; 07-17-2019 at 04:45 PM.

How about some specifics on what he's done?

* Ordered new locomotives
    * Ordered new single-level coaches
    * Put Amtrak on track to breaking even for the first time in 50 years

If you're going to call that "nonsense", perhaps you need to go look up the meaning of the word....

No. I meant these:

• Ended Pacific Parlors
    • Discontinued the Veterans discount
    • Removed Dining Cars on Capital and Lake Shore
    • Attempted to end the Southwest Chief

Granted, the Viaggios, Avelia Liberty trains, bringing back service to the Gulf coast & Minneapolis, and more chargers for national service (still would prefer another locomotive design) are a step forward. I'll give him that.
    Last edited by J.A.V.; 07-17-2019 at 10:47 PM.

* Put Amtrak on track to breaking even for the first time in 50 years ...
    As this commentary so wisely explained, Amtrak was never intended to be a for-profit passenger service.

From railpassengers.org:

No, Amtrak Does Not Have To Make A Profit
    https://www.railpassengers.org/happe...make-a-profit/

“It would be wonderful if such service could be self-sustaining, but nowhere in the world has any nation been able to avoid subsidizing rail passengers.”
    - A. Daniel O'Neal - counsel for Senate Transportation Committee, 1970
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

Quote Originally Posted by J.A.V. View Post
    No. I meant these:

• Ended Pacific Parlors
    • Discontinued the Veterans discount
    • Removed Dining Cars on Capital and Lake Shore
    • Attempted to end the Southwest Chief
    Please... Those are issues that the railfan community cares about, but not something the average Amtrak customer even noticed.

The Parlour was beyond end of life. Old equipment has to retire eventually. I loved flying on the Boeing 727, but don't blame airlines for retiring them...

The changes to food service from the LSL and Capitol are going to be extended to all overnight trains (except for AutoTrain) east of the Mississippi effective Oct. 1, so they've shown to be either cost effective and/or revenue neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by ftldave View Post
    As this commentary so wisely explained, Amtrak was never intended to be a for-profit passenger service.
    The original legislation didn't require break-even, but after 40 years of heavy losses, PRIIA is requiring different standards and requiring different levels of accountability and fiscal responsibility. The advocacy groups hate change of any type, so take anything you see on RailPassengers.org with a block of salt.

The changes to food service from the LSL and Capitol are going to be extended to all overnight trains (except for AutoTrain) east of the Mississippi effective Oct. 1, so they've shown to be either cost effective and/or revenue neutral.
    Well, that sucks. I've quite enjoyed the dining cars on the Crescent. Makes me wonder why they bothered with Viewliner Diners if they're doing away with them all, then? Though, I have to rebuke you on one thing. A lot of folks did in fact complain, not just railfans, about the Silver Star getting knocked back sans-dining car. I also have noted, the Capitol Limited and Lake Shore Limited are still running with dining cars, so they might have listened to sleeper car passenger feedback and not cancelled dining service onboard.

The pacific parlor, though yeah was time to go. Too old, like the Heritage Diners were.