Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to change water texture in open rail

Default how to change water texture in open rail

hello guys
    how to change water texture in open rail, i tried replace new water texture in msts folder...but no luck..is there any procedure to do
    plz reply

Water has to be a 512x512 pixel ace file. You can replace the files in the ENVIFILES>Textures folder but they have to be the same names... watertop, watermid, waterbot.

Paul :-)

Does this have any effect on the water surface color "flashing" effect I see in some routes? The whole body of water changes color depending upon the angle of view....that's as close as I can come to describing the effect...it's hard to show visually in still shots.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

yes it can, but only the routes you change it in
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

Hi Gerry,

Are you talking about the "ripple" effect or the flashing at night?

The ripple effect can be eliminated by changing the BlendATexDiff of the watertop layer (near the bottom of the seasonal files) to read BlendATex. You have to do this for all seasons. Can't remember if this eliminates that flashing at night or if that was a BIN correction.

No ripple effect, the entire body of water changes colors, appears to switch between two different color states (viewed from cab as the train pass by)...quite noticeable in the ConnRiver Route --- this is in OR, I don't know about MSTS.
    If I remember, I think this is something specific to OR...not sure why, cannot find the thread about this phenom.
    I checked all the watertop, watermid, waterbot aces in the ENVFILES/Texture folder and they are all 256x256 in dimension.
    Not knowing anything about working with ace files, I loaded them into Photoshop and changed the image size to 512x512 and then saved as tga files, used AceIt to convert back to ace files...of course you know what happened...nothing, they were the same size...so obviously I have much to learn about this!
    Anyway, I'm rude by hijacking someone elses thread, so I'll drop it for now.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Hi Gerry,

Now I know what you are asking about. The distance between the top and mid layers are too close. They worked fine in MSTS where the route was built, but Open Rails handle things differently and the top and mid layers are too close for it to deal with properly.

Open each seasonal file in the Envifiles. Near the bottom you'll see the watertop.ace settings, the world_water_height is set to ( 0 ). just above it is the watermid settings. The height is set to ( -0.2 ), change those to read ( -0.5 ).

Do that with all the env files for the route and that will take care of the flashing.

I'm having the same issue with a ten year old version of the DAR I'm modifying.

Quote Originally Posted by charland View Post
    Hi Gerry,

Now I know what you are asking about. The distance between the top and mid layers are too close. They worked fine in MSTS where the route was built, but Open Rails handle things differently and the top and mid layers are too close for it to deal with properly.

Open each seasonal file in the Envifiles. Near the bottom you'll see the watertop.ace settings, the world_water_height is set to ( 0 ). just above it is the watermid settings. The height is set to ( -0.2 ), change those to read ( -0.5 ).

Do that with all the env files for the route and that will take care of the flashing.

I'm having the same issue with a ten year old version of the DAR I'm modifying.

Thanks, Paul - easy fix ... I'll add this thread to my list of informational threads, just in case I see someone else asking about it. I guess OR has less tolerance for the distance between layers --- or the inability to distinguish among layers that are close together??
    Did you ever file a bug report?

No Gerry, never filed a bug report about this. OR uses a different graphics engine that works much better then what MSTS was using, it's just part of our learning curve I guess.

Gerry and Paul,

The only time that I have seen the water change colour ( flashing ), was when there was some scripting in the Environ file to have water movement. Removing any such script should eliminate the flashing water.

Peter