Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Truck Simulator

Out of interest I did some digging and it seems the map scaling is as follows:
    Europe 19:1
    UK 15:1
    Cities 3:1

ATS 20:1. apparently ATS was originally 35:1 but the maps were redrawn to a larger scale.

Have often pondered whether this approach might work in doing a "condensed" train sim network, the difference being of course you can't really condense large stations or yard complexes in the same way as you can fit a truck depot in a cluster of buildings and call it "Birmingham". Derby to Bristol which is around 140 miles IRL would be around 9 miles at 15:1 so you would probably need to expand that a little!
    Vern.

Scaling does my head in Vern. With ProMods added, their South Wales map expands the game to Fishguard and Holyhead.

But it takes like 10 - 15 mins to drive from Swansea to Haverfordwest in game and then 5 mins onto Fishguard.

But on the plus side you can also take the ferry from Fishguard to Eire and drive to destinations on the island.

Holyhead crossing is also included.

Some really good mods for ATS as well, just to get back on topic.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Hi, guys!

I play ETS2 as well. I've done some paint jobs for my personal use, and this is the newest one. I've done it today.

ets2_20190723_215026_00.jpg
    ets2_20190723_215031_00.jpg
    ets2_20190723_215037_00.jpg
    ets2_20190723_215044_00.jpg
    ets2_20190723_215052_00.jpg
    Borislav
    https://www.trainsim.com/vbts/signaturepics/sigpic100353_2.gif

Nice work, Borislav.
    Vern.

Another ETS2 and ATS player here... Enough that when I got into playing both about three years ago, I hunted up a good used force-feedback wheel and pedals control setup to make it more realistic. A game controller doesn't really do it justice, especially when setting up the braking/turning physics is so important.

For anyone wondering, there are various sliders in the game settings for brake effectiveness, stability, etc. I've seen the developers explain in their forums that the default settings are for ease of mouse/keyboard and controller use. Moving them off the default (generally towards the left) makes the physics more realistic. How far depends on your control setup and how fast your PC can perform the physics calculations. And also how you perceive the behavior based on the scaling of the world -- because braking distance is compressed in a 20:1 world. I've driven rigid-chassis heavy trucks in real life ("straight trucks" in the US) and sometimes the scaling messes with my head because things in the sim happen faster (in less distance) than they do in real life.

The latest updates with "experimental" DirectX 11 in the game engine (eventually it will become standard) have been a nice performance improvement on newer PCs.

I keep meaning to try ProMods in ETS2, but then SCS comes out with better and better map expansions of their own, so I've never made that jump.

The "World of Trucks" on-line component is really under-developed still. You can leave it alone and not miss much of anything. It's OK for some of their "events" where you can earn paint schemes or cab decorations by doing a certain number of runs. And you can set a profile picture in it, that you can then easily apply to your game profile's icon... which is better than the default driver pics you're usually stuck with. Also, World of Trucks jobs have to be completed in real time. You can't save and come back later to finish the run; once the clock starts, it can't be stopped. Regular jobs inside the sim-world have their clocks stop and start as you pause/save/re-start the sim.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info