Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Truck Simulator

Default American Truck Simulator

Thought I would just post a mention - not really "trains" but a rather excellent road haulage simulation. Developed by SCS Software out of their earlier truck sims, can be purchased via Steam. It was actually kicking around on my HD for a bit largely unplayed, then I happened to see there was a "West Coast" expansion, which adds Oregon, Washington and haulage of lumber plant and logs to the original area. (believe there is also a Utah expansion imminent or maybe already out).

The game itself is a good combination of strategy and simulation. At the beginning, you are running odd jobs to make enough money and buy your own tractor unit with the ultimate aim being owning your own company and employing several drivers. The simulation side is excellent. Obviously the vast area is somewhat cut down, but it still takes a while to travel any distance. (Elko to Eugene took me over an hour, partly because I missed the turn off at Winnemucca!). As someone who holidayed extensively in the US and Canada they have really nailed the look and atmosphere of the American road system. Can almost smell that peculiar "old socks" smell from some of the vehicles, which seems unique to North American driving (maybe our fuel here is more refined). I don't know how accurate the truck physics and handling is, but I know you can't just blast along GTA style, particularly if you have a 3 or 4 trailer road "train" behind you.

Recommended.
    Vern.

I would highly recommend the Pro Mods conversion for ETS2, it is excellent.

https://promods.net/setup.php
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    I don't know how accurate the truck physics and handling is, but I know you can't just blast along GTA style, particularly if you have a 3 or 4 trailer road "train" behind you.

Recommended.
    ATS and ETS are both great. But even their custom game engines are getting on in years, seasons could be better.

About GTA V, there are vehicle mods that bring realistic driving to those fancy cars. You need a steering wheel and pedals though.
    Driving around Los Santos is great, there is so much to see and explore.
    The harmonica/bellows/pumping effect of a many vehicles driving in the same lane spoils the immersion somewhat.

They should do an Aussie Truck Simulator and simulate the route up the east coast from Melbourne to Sydney to Brisbane to Cairns.
    That would >>really<< need to be compressed!

What does Promods do, Mike?
    (I have ETS2 but rarely use it).
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Aussie truck sim would be great Bruce. We used to have a tv series here called Outback Truckers, very interesting.

Oh gawd i am useless at explaining stuff Bruce. It's a huge mod that changes loads of map stuff in the game for the better.

https://blog.promods.net/faq/

There are also many other mods, that improve physics, realism, weather effects, traffic patterns, types of traffic, custom vehicles and adds new AI vehicles like buses. etc etc etc.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    Oh gawd i am useless at explaining stuff Bruce. It's a huge mod that changes loads of map stuff in the game for the better.

https://blog.promods.net/faq/

Thanks, Mike. Got the info.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Have been playing ETS2 and ATS since day one and have all expansions for both.
    SCS Software are probably one of the best developers in the industry, with their commitment to improving the realism of their sim along with the amazing amount of freeware included in their updates each year.
    I have never bothered with with Pro Mods or any other type of mods as I'm quite happy with the vanilla version and the progress and rate at which SCS Software release their DLC addons.

Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior

I don't know how accurate the truck physics and handling is, but I know you can't just blast along GTA style, particularly if you have a 3 or 4 trailer road "train" behind you.
    Just like any other sim the physics and handling is always debatable and looking at 95 percent of the drivers on YouTube, it's very obvious that the majority of users for this sim have never been in a truck, let alone understand the physics and handling of a real truck. My approach to driving in this sim has been to adopt a mental attitude of slowing down my driving considerable and trying to simulate weight and braking versus speed and distance etc.
    To do this I have my brake sensitivity and Truck/Trailer stability settings lower than normal and doing this requires more use of gears for slowing down and cornering etc. I have found that since trying to recreate driving practices that are as realistic as possible and actually might relate to how you would drive a heavy truck in the real world that the immersion factor that this sim offers, has gone right up and it really is a joy to drive.

I have never had any regrets buying ETS2 and ATS and continuing to buy DLC, for me they are the ultimate relaxing Sunday night driving simulators.

Cheers

James

Some good stuff on those sites. Just curious if the buses/coaches are driveable or are they AI only? Still looking for a good bus sim as I refunded OMSI2, couldn't get the tutorial to work, the localisation from German to English left much to be desired and it eventually crashed with a hexdump error message. Already mentioned how disappointing Fernbus was in another thread.
    Vern.

I think i did see a drivable bus somewhere Vern. But it was a while back and not sure which site.

I was like you i wanted to drive a bus in the game. But then i got disillusioned with it, trying to control the driving with a joystick.

Removed it from the pc and lost track of the mod sites, of which i think i had 7 or 8 different ones at the time.

You can also get mods from the Steam workshop, Vern.

In regards those bus sims, i am sure there was an LT mod for one of them.

Found some info, but you have refunded it. again LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWG3RO6lxsM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DtZFe7HuSc

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...=omsi+2+london

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCYwfCUnhbY (Routemaster)

Mike.
    Last edited by haverfordwest; 07-20-2019 at 08:51 AM.