Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solid Clod

Default Solid Clod

Yes you read that correct. someone asked me about this car a long time ago and I realized the CP_VOL2 had the correct base for this car.

I just need to weather it a bit more.

FGE.jpg

HAHA Awesome.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works
    In IRC at freenode #msts

Was this another screw up ?
    10587003614_787e8621df_b.jpg
    Jim

Probably... either the paint was poor, the painters accidentally chose the wrong color, or they ran out of yellow.

Nice work Michelle. Athearn made a Special Edition Release featuring the Soild Clod car. Don't know the entire history behind the "Soild Clod" lettering though...
    Parker B. - A Misplaced Midwesterner.

Let me answer some important questions about FGE durning the 1980 there was some huge internal company problems which saw over 25 excutives fired. One of the reason was the renaming of the box cars from Solid Cold to Real Cold. People never reall understood how much it cost a company and for this unannounced change it was not needed at the time while various law suits were happening.
    The Solid Clod car was a actual paint mistake and to avoid more cost of redoing it it was shipped out as a one of a kind car.

Athearn made the car even more famous when they released the 2 car FGE set. Most people started looking for the car and photographing it.

AS TO the EGG WHITE FGE car. no it's not a mistake it's a actual Beer Car. Frisco had a huge amount of these cars they rostered to ship beer to the east coast. Usally the cars were listed as the Chiller This car looks like it was a refurbished Frisco car and was labeld as a Solid Cold.
    Last edited by MsSheare; 07-21-2019 at 08:01 PM.

"Solid Clod"...LMAO.
    When a read the title to this thread, I thought it was some whimsical English reference to being "an idiot'.
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by qballbandit View Post
    "Solid Clod"...LMAO.
    When a read the title to this thread, I thought it was some whimsical English reference to being "an idiot'.
    That usually is most people on a Saturday night in Manchester................. those from England will understand 100% or if you want a good example hang around any pub at closing time in any major city.. it will get you close.

Thank you for all the info on these type cars. The mistake I was referencing was in the lettering, it says solid "Gold" or is that correct? I have the MSTS version but it's orange.
    fge.JPG
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by hiball 3985 View Post
    Thank you for all the info on these type cars. The mistake I was referencing was in the lettering, it says solid "Gold" or is that correct? I have the MSTS version but it's orange.
    fge.JPG
    before CSXT took over FGE the paint schemes pretty much fell apart. The cars could be in any of the three paint designs

the actual car colors were Reefer Yellow and what I call a Egg White Lastly the Orange you see on the UP SP cars were from them

FGE was not even part of PFE.

In the refernce of the Solid Gold it is a in refernce that the car was in the extensive rebuild program where everything was removed but the car skin and it was rebuilt totally. These rebuild car were just as solid as a new one.
    Gold was used in refernce that the car rebuilds were half the price of a new one making it a very money saving program.

So Solid for the rebuilding program Gold for the savings railroads recived Solid Gold. It just was a way to identify the cars who made it thru the capital rebuild program.
    Last edited by MsSheare; 07-22-2019 at 08:45 AM.

Thank you Michelle, that clarifies the mystery for me, it gives me chills .
    Jim