Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans Siberian Railway Simulator

Default Trans Siberian Railway Simulator

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Portrays the utter bleakness which is the Soviet Union. I'll keep an eye on this one.
    Interested in all Train-Sims

Been WIP for a while now, not sure how serious the train driving part will be though.
    Vern.

I spotted it on Steam and thought i would share the love.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

An acquaintance of ours did the Trans-Siberian thing several years ago and said that it was as boring as watching grass grow.
    Perhaps she would have been more excited if wolves had attacked the train.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    An acquaintance of ours did the Trans-Siberian thing several years ago and said that it was as boring as watching grass grow.
    Perhaps she would have been more excited if wolves had attacked the train.
    You've got a couple of similar routes down there too. In fact few large countries don't have routes with mile after mile of flat featureless scenery?

BTW any suggestions as to how to break the news gently to Denis that the Soviet Union doesn't exist anymore. Seems some of the Cold War warriors that side of the pond missed the end of that Cold War?!
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

The armaments industry in the US has to have an enemy, to keep the dollars ticking over.

If there actually isn't one, invent one.

The same industry is probably looking forward to the slide into the abyss with China.

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    The armaments industry in the US has to have an enemy, to keep the dollars ticking over.

If there actually isn't one, invent one.

The same industry is probably looking forward to the slide into the abyss with China.

Mike.
    I doubt there's many that don't see that Jerry but it's obvious that there's still a section of the US that mourns the passing of McCarthy .....just as there's a section in Russia and Georgia still that mourns the passing of Stalin

My comment was however a gentle jibe rather than the start of a political debate .

Unlike (I suspect?) the majority of contributors to the forum I actually went to The Soviet Union on an Intourist Holiday back in the 80's. We went to Leningrad, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia and ended in Moscow. Now 4 separate countries since the end of the Soviet Union. Our travel was by air and coach and unlike the Trans Siberian Railway (which we'd looked at doing) the countries were diverse, friendly and scenically stunning.

I would say wherever we went the local people were incredibly friendly, much to the consternation of our guide (a party member) and everywhere we went one of the first things they said is "...we don't want a war". That was fairly disconcerting to us in view of the propaganda we were fed back then ....but when we saw the War Memorials from WWII it made their fears more understandable.
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    That's a pretty common response from those who aren't rail fans after any train ride. My dear wife, from Armenia, included. She rode so many trains, as an Izvestia journalist, across the USSR, to her it's as thrilling as a ride on our local city bus: completely forgettable. I guess during the final years, as the Soviet economy ground to a halt, junior reporters like her didn't rate Aeroflot tickets.

When I suggested we ride the TranSiber during New Year's Eve to celebrate my retirement a few years from now, she said: "Stuck for days and days in a train filled with drunk Russians across frozen Siberia?!? You're crazy!"

Maybe your acquaintance would have enjoyed the Siemens-built Sapsan more? Moscow to St. Petersburg - Whoosh.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ftldave; 10-16-2019 at 09:39 AM. Reason: edit txt
    - FTLDave

"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." - Wernher von Braun

"A software suggestion is not a valid answer to a configuration/troubleshooting question." - Timelmer

OOPS. Thanks for the updated history news. I might have been a little harsh on the Ruskies. Every country has their beautiful locations and people. I will still watch for future development of this sim. I've seen hours of Russian train video's on UTube. They are unique.
    Interested in all Train-Sims