Page 77 of 77 FirstFirst ... 2767757677

Thread: ETS2 Drivable Buses

Older Bruce and being Peterbilt, far superior buddy.

In my own opinion of course.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    ...being Peterbilt, far superior buddy.
    Have you ever driven one, Mike?

The closest I ever got to operating a "big rig" was when I was a member of the volunteer bushfire unit where I lived (Winmalee - that's the street....we were on the bend at the bottom of the pic. Note the eucalyptus forest!) in the Blue Mountains, west of Sydney.

At the time I joined they had two vehicles - a Toyota LWB Landcruiser "troopy" (to carry a crew to a fire location) - and a bloody beast of a tanker - an ex-military six-wheel drive Studebaker with crash gearbox and no power-assisted anything, let alone steering.

I got a Heavy Duty, Rigid endorsement on my car driver's licence when tested and, thank God, a year later (1977), when the fires swept down the Mountains from Wentworth Falls to Glenbrook, the Beast had been replaced by a modern Bedford unit (that is NOT me in the sample photograph!!) with power-assisted everything.
    Last edited by seagoon; 11-23-2020 at 04:17 PM.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

No boss, only non car licence i have is PSV 1 (double deck buses). You been doing the big boys stuff then Bruce. I learned on a crash gearbox, no power steering. But all the service buses i drove were semi auto's.

Dangerous stuff that fire fighting. We leave it to the professionals here

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd

Quote Originally Posted by haverfordwest View Post
    .......Dangerous stuff that fire fighting. We leave it to the professionals here

Mike.
    Australia would be just a charred cinder if we didn't have the volunteer bushfire brigades (now called the Rural Fire Service...RFS).
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Yes i realise that Bruce, different situation and climatic conditions to the UK.

Mike.
    Yma O Hyd