Thread: Front Coupler Bug

Default Front Coupler Bug

Well, I'm stumped. I long ago repainted Marc Nelson's SP GP9 into a rendition of the Yolo Shortline Railroad, (a company that used to be active in my city until it was merged into the Sierra Railroad) and later further repainted it into my fictional railroads. For some reason which I cannot figure out, in ORTS, either official or Monogame, testing some runs on a museum portion of my fictional, whenever I perform a run around, the coupler attaches, and I set the reverser into, well, reverse. The darn thing won't move no matter which notch the unit is in, and unless I speed up the game itself, seems to be stuck at 0 MPH. Searching around has led me to the front coupler bug, which I thought would have been resolved by now (is there an include file available for Geeps?) but can't seem to get it to work, even with the available fix. Anybody else have this problem? A solution? I can't be the only one on here that has asked that.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    calrouteprojectmstsorts.weebly.com/
    californiapacificrailroadorts.weebly.com/
    Cheers, S. J. Hjellum

Hi Stephen,

The front coupler bug is only in the original MSTS executable.
    It is not in OR.
    Try to initialise the brakes ( <shift> ? ) and see what happens.
    Cheers
    Derek

There is no front coupler bug in OR ... MSTS only. Must be something else, are you releasing brakes properly? Made any changes to eng file, any indications/warnings in OR log?
    Made up a quick consist on the test track, flipped engine, everything works...picture is using default msts engine file, no changes made for OR.

bandicam 2019-07-24 21-23-38-754.jpg

Hi Derek, was putting my post together as you posted....obviously I echo everything Derek said.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

You learn something new every day. I did not know about initializing the brakes - that worked! Thanks a lot gentlemen!
    A side note: when I repaint, the only thing I mess around with as far as eng/wag files go are the naming parameters. I leave all the technical stuff to experts. I never really bothered digging around the internal stuff, unless I want to swap out horns or bells.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." - James Dean
    calrouteprojectmstsorts.weebly.com/
    californiapacificrailroadorts.weebly.com/
    Cheers, S. J. Hjellum

What you really should be doing is pulling up the Train Operations window F9, selecting the relevant engines and cars, and connect airhoses, connect MU cables (if coupling to other power), open the relevant front or rear angle cocks, and releasing all the relevant handbrakes, and watch your air pump up on both the head end and EOT just like it is in the real world for the crew on the ground. The initiailze brakes key is only a shortcut for MSTS-like impatience expediency.

I mean, the reason we have a whole new sim is for mirroring the real world, it is not?

Hi geepster775,
    With respect, I, and, dare I say, a great number of other users, do not want every minute detail of real-life train operations to be replicated in a train sim! I, therefore, say thanks to the Open Rails Development Team for including a key to initialise the brakes, as it allows us to get on with driving, be it a freight or passenger train, or just shunting, without undue delay!!

Cheers,
    Ged

I don't recall the reason for ORTS ever being "to be able to mirror the real world..." although that's what Run8 has advertised.

Personally, I'm glad ORTS has options to let us choose to do the full step by step process *or* bypass it entirely... when I'm testing, I don't want to waste a lot of time or clicks.

Charging the brakes has caught me out a few times in OR so having a one step key to do it is a great assist. Would be even better if the game was sufficiently intuitive as to detect you were having trouble moving the train and pop up an advice window (as happens in ETS2 if you get the rig stuck on a steep hill).
    Vern.