Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is MSTS needed to run OpenRails?

Default Is MSTS needed to run OpenRails?

Hey everyone,

In 2004 or so I received Microsoft Train Simulator as a birthday gift. As you'd imagine I had endless hours of enjoyment on what was the best train simulator at that time. Sometime in 2009 during a house move the Packer's & Mover's we had used had opened up and damaged a lot of our things and one of them was my MSTS CDs.

I've never been able to find another boxed version of MSTS since. Recently I stumbled upon OpenRails and was wondering if OpenRails as a game can be played without MSTS?

Can I just download and install OpenRails and add MSTS routes, locos and rolling stock in OpenRails? Or is MSTS necessary?

Regards.

You don't absolutely need it, but without it you are limited to payware routes and a small handful of freeware routes (Monon, Mactier, etc) that do not have a batch file to copy over default route assets.

That's either a curse or a plus, depending upon how you view the value of having 19 year old buildings and trees and 12-18 year old routes built long ago using them that lack many of the upgraded features found in today's screenshots.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
    Hey everyone,

In 2004 or so I received Microsoft Train Simulator as a birthday gift. As you'd imagine I had endless hours of enjoyment on what was the best train simulator at that time. Sometime in 2009 during a house move the Packer's & Mover's we had used had opened up and damaged a lot of our things and one of them was my MSTS CDs.

I've never been able to find another boxed version of MSTS since. Recently I stumbled upon OpenRails and was wondering if OpenRails as a game can be played without MSTS?

Can I just download and install OpenRails and add MSTS routes, locos and rolling stock in OpenRails? Or is MSTS necessary?

Regards.
    Hi Jeremiah,

I don't think you need it - download the Sceneic Sub pack from here - it should install everything you need in one fell swoop and should have you running in minutes...

http://openrails.org/

Personally - I don't think any of the stuff I run uses default assets - I can't remember the last time I ran a bat to copy assets - and I really don't want anything from 2001... Your mileage may vary...

Best of luck...

Regards,
    Scott

Some of the assets which may be required by freeware(eg sounds) can also be found in routes that are supposed to be installed as miniroute, eg LIRR beta

Went looking for MSTS on the web this morning and found it at https://www.old-games.com/download/6...rain-simulator .
    Have to buy a subscription to download it but it's only $6.95 for a day or $9.95 for a month. There may be other stuff you may want.
    I didn't try downloading it because I have a 2001 original but it may be an option.
    Looks legit.

Randy

Microsoft Train Simulator (the original) is available on EBay.
    Russ G

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." James Joyce

Hi Randy,
    $6.95 for a copy of MSTS doesn't seem too bad and $9.95 is even better for a month, but I notice that you are only allowed to download two files a day! Does MSTS come in one or two downloads? I wonder what version is supplied - although I don't need it, it might be worth giving it a try! Another question - has the site obtained the necessary permission from Microsoft? If not, I'm sure it (MSTS) will disappear pretty quickly!!

Cheers,
    Ged

I'll be honest. I would not assume Microsoft would spend any extra effort to do anything very quickly regarding our beloved train simulator. Saying something should would "disappear quickly" because they are keeping an eye out for it is way more effort than anything Microsoft has done for us since the early 2000's. Our Sim is truly on the "abandoned" shelf, for all practical purposes. If you google and find a copy... you are just plain lucky.
    http://www.railsimstuff.com
    3D Canvas/Crafter and Blender User
    formerly The Keystone Works (All Permissions Granted)
    In IRC at freenode #msts

I don't think the "Old-Games" subscription site mentioned above is legitimate. I'd recommend against it.

You can generally find used or old-stock copies of MSTS on Ebay and Amazon inexpensively. Legal and far safer...

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

I don't think Microsoft has anything to do with MSTS anymore.
    Atari put it out for a while and then Ubisoft.
    Does anybody own the rights any more?
    It would make sense if it was released to the wild. It's almost 20 years old and not supported.
    $7, what do you have to lose.

Randy