Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is MSTS needed to run OpenRails?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Is MSTS needed to run OpenRails?

Hey everyone,

In 2004 or so I received Microsoft Train Simulator as a birthday gift. As you'd imagine I had endless hours of enjoyment on what was the best train simulator at that time. Sometime in 2009 during a house move the Packer's & Mover's we had used had opened up and damaged a lot of our things and one of them was my MSTS CDs.

I've never been able to find another boxed version of MSTS since. Recently I stumbled upon OpenRails and was wondering if OpenRails as a game can be played without MSTS?

Can I just download and install OpenRails and add MSTS routes, locos and rolling stock in OpenRails? Or is MSTS necessary?

Regards.

You don't absolutely need it, but without it you are limited to payware routes and a small handful of freeware routes (Monon, Mactier, etc) that do not have a batch file to copy over default route assets.

That's either a curse or a plus, depending upon how you view the value of having 19 year old buildings and trees and 12-18 year old routes built long ago using them that lack many of the upgraded features found in today's screenshots.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
    Hey everyone,

In 2004 or so I received Microsoft Train Simulator as a birthday gift. As you'd imagine I had endless hours of enjoyment on what was the best train simulator at that time. Sometime in 2009 during a house move the Packer's & Mover's we had used had opened up and damaged a lot of our things and one of them was my MSTS CDs.

I've never been able to find another boxed version of MSTS since. Recently I stumbled upon OpenRails and was wondering if OpenRails as a game can be played without MSTS?

Can I just download and install OpenRails and add MSTS routes, locos and rolling stock in OpenRails? Or is MSTS necessary?

Regards.
    Hi Jeremiah,

I don't think you need it - download the Sceneic Sub pack from here - it should install everything you need in one fell swoop and should have you running in minutes...

http://openrails.org/

Personally - I don't think any of the stuff I run uses default assets - I can't remember the last time I ran a bat to copy assets - and I really don't want anything from 2001... Your mileage may vary...

Best of luck...

Regards,
    Scott

Thanks Scott!

Wherever you source the discs from, there is a very good chance the game won't install if you're running Win 10, due to M$ outlawing Securom copy protection, which was certainly used on the Explosive version, not sure about the original.

To be brutally honest, if I was looking to get back into the modern train sim, I would be jumping straight to one of the other products - the two DTG sims (TS & TSW), Run 8 (if you want accurate North American Railroad physics) or Trainz in its 2019 incarnation, if you want easy peasy route building.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    Wherever you source the discs from, there is a very good chance the game won't install if you're running Win 10, due to M$ outlawing Securom copy protection, which was certainly used on the Explosive version, not sure about the original.

To be brutally honest, if I was looking to get back into the modern train sim, I would be jumping straight to one of the other products - the two DTG sims (TS & TSW), Run 8 (if you want accurate North American Railroad physics) or Trainz in its 2019 incarnation, if you want easy peasy route building.
    Quite right, but there is a work around.
    I used WinCDEmu to combine the 2 discs into a single ISO file. You can then install the single ISO file from a thumb drive which avoids the Win 10 issue.

You can also simply copy the files from each CD into just one folder. There are a couple of minor files that are duplicates which can be overwritten by each other (They have no effect on the installer or MSTS) If you run the installer from a single folder with everything in it, MSTS will just install without needing to swap discs. This helps get around the agonizingly slow reading from Disc 2 on many systems.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post

SecurROM was on the original. The MS Update to 1.2 removed it. SecurROM was the reason why you had to have the CD inserted to play the game, originally, and why it's no longer needed after the update.
    Last edited by mikeebb; 07-28-2019 at 01:44 AM. Reason: typo

Some of the assets which may be required by freeware(eg sounds) can also be found in routes that are supposed to be installed as miniroute, eg LIRR beta

Went looking for MSTS on the web this morning and found it at https://www.old-games.com/download/6...rain-simulator .
    Have to buy a subscription to download it but it's only $6.95 for a day or $9.95 for a month. There may be other stuff you may want.
    I didn't try downloading it because I have a 2001 original but it may be an option.
    Looks legit.

Randy