Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4014 biiiiiig boooooy!!!

Default 4014 biiiiiig boooooy!!!

UGH - typo, title should read 4014, damn sorry.

Lombard, Illinois this afternoon, full whistle approaching the grade crossing behind me. Right on time at approx 13:35pm cdt.
    Very exhilarating!

Rick Berg is somewhere up on that walkway! Hi Rick!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Neil

Here at home, in the railroad mayhem capital of the world.

Rick was there too alright !!!!!!!!!!!

Great picture Neil!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2

I am so jealous Neil. I probably will not get to see 4014 on this trip.

LOL! I've got a few pictures of clouds of steam too Rick .....even a couple of minutes of video of one ...before the train became visible again nearly a mile down the track!

BTW they do the same here in the UK with mainline steam hauled trains.... namely add a diesel to the consist. At least here they put it on the back of the train so that it doesn't completely ruin the photo opportunity. It's also helped that our loading gauge means that the diesel loco blends in better with the coaches. Of course some F units or E unit would blend with the streamlines too but that ghastly Gevo sticks out like an ugly wart

That aside... Great shot Neil
    Geoff
    Dorset - near The Swanage Railway.
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lateagain View Post
    BTW they do the same here in the UK with mainline steam hauled trains.... namely add a diesel to the consist. At least here they put it on the back of the train so that it doesn't completely ruin the photo opportunity. It's also helped that our loading gauge means that the diesel loco blends in better with the coaches. Of course some F units or E unit would blend with the streamlines too but that ghastly Gevo sticks out like an ugly wart ...
    Okay, time to help the newbie out...why? the diesel. It does stick out and certainly not necessary with the power of 4014 -- legal issues?
    WONDERFUL photos, thanks. Impressive machine.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I'm a little bothered that I was totally unaware that it went up Hinckley Sub. to Superior on my day off (a bare 25 miles away). Of course, it went back down while I was working...

Don't think "Legalities" are as important as LOSS OF REVENUE if these "specials" should break down and hold up traffic? That's obviously the case in the UK because these trains slot into busy and tight passenger schedules. Still a shame they can't use some period diesels in keeping with the consist. Does UP have any restored F or E units? ...or at least put the Gevo on the back as a pusher? ...or does the last car not have the necessary service connectors (brakes etc.)?
    Geoff
    UK

Don't think "Legalities" are as important as LOSS OF REVENUE if these "specials" should break down and hold up traffic? That's obviously the case in the UK because these trains slot into busy and tight passenger schedules. Still a shame they can't use some period diesels in keeping with the consist. Does UP have any restored F or E units? ...or at least put the Gevo on the back as a pusher? ...or does the last car not have the necessary service connectors (brakes etc.)?
    I think that is an SD70ACe, not a GEVO...

But in either case...

Yes, I think, ONE, of the reasons for the diesel may be in case 4014 breaks down, and then they can still quickly clear the train off the mains...

But, i think it may have more to do with such things, LIKE: PTC... As far as I know, the cab is still-mostly vintage mid-1900s... and that means there is extremely minimal radio and computer tech is inside... Behind the scenes, the SD70ACe may be actually controlling the train, by keeping in contact with "UP Dispatch", and then relaying "instructions" to 4014, by "Walkie-Talkie"...

Just my un-expert and non-technically WORDED opinion, of course, but I think you can understand what I am trying to suggest here...

Anyway,

Great Photo Neil!

Thanks for sharing!
    Yardmaster of the Great American Moose Paint Shops.
    a Moose Interchange Rail Company division.
    http://mjrmstsrepaints.proboards.com
    TTFN!

Quote Originally Posted by MCDemuth View Post
    I think that is an SD70ACe, not a GEVO...

But in either case...
    My apologies to those people you who love the newer kit Anything much after dash2 seems to send me into a snooze LOL! but then I'm a paid up GOG!

Quote Originally Posted by MCDemuth View Post
    Yes, I think, ONE, of the reasons for the diesel may be in case 4014 breaks down, and then they can still quickly clear the train off the mains...

But, i think it may have more to do with such things, LIKE: PTC... As far as I know, the cab is still-mostly vintage mid-1900s... and that means there is extremely minimal radio and computer tech is inside... Behind the scenes, the SD70ACe may be actually controlling the train, by keeping in contact with "UP Dispatch", and then relaying "instructions" to 4014, by "Walkie-Talkie"...

Just my un-expert and non-technically WORDED opinion, of course, but I think you can understand what I am trying to suggest here...

Anyway,

Great Photo Neil!

Thanks for sharing!
    Yes and thanks for waking me up to that MASSIVE difference between "Train Control" in Europe and what you use in the US.

In fact many "Main Line Approved" Kettles here in the UK have had to have kit installed (as I understand it ....stand to be corrected as always) that their original crews could only have dreamed of. Most "Preserved" railways over here work under "A Light Railway Order". That means that the max speed is restricted to 25 m.p.h. Kettles (in fact ANY preserved/restored stock) approved for main line running has to have the kit that's needed for modern safety systems. Even then Steam is speed limited to around 75 m.p.h. ...but hey that's not too shabby considering what they used to achieve on much of our network.
    Geoff
    UK

Of Course, REVENUES --- $$$ or £££ or €€€ as the case may be... you're correct, a period diesel would be a thoughtful and appropriate touch.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.