Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4014 biiiiiig boooooy!!!

All that being said, how many here have ever been on a fan trip where the engine broke down and the train had to sit there until some diesels came to rescue it?

Personally, in all our years of riding fan trips I can only remember one incident, and it didn't even involve the engine breaking down. It was a long train behind NKP 759, where one car broke a drawbar. And even then, after that car had been cut out of the train and the train had been put back together, 759 completed the trip unassisted.

So, while I understand why the diesel is there for protection, I believe it to be equivocal as to how necessary it really is.
    Last edited by dcarleton; 07-27-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: spelling

Besides protection it is required for braking, both dynamic and the brake air supply for the rest of the train. The old compressors on the steam engines aren't considered 100% reliable. This is probably an INSURANCE requirement and also by the host railroad when not on a UP line.

I wish it was a Gevo, Sd70Ace makes it double ugly
    Jim

Very awesome to see on of the most powerful steam locomotives in work!

About diesel locomotive in train - in Russia one steam locomotive in excursion train uses only if there are 1-3 cars, some steam locos are in poor condition and uses only for external effect, really train leads by diesel locomotive or electric locomotive, sometimes uses two steam locos.
    Vladislav

Same Location in Lombard, IL

On the other side of the bridge.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Rick

http:\\mononrr.com

MONON-2