Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSTS/real world length discrepancy? How to deal with it?

Question MSTS/real world length discrepancy? How to deal with it?

I wanted to make this thread on TSRE5's own board, but since I get very few replies there...

I moved one of my routes onto what seems to be correct co-ordinates and used the Google Earth imagery as TERRTEX along the route to make track laying an easier task. So far I managed to (re)build a 15-kilometer stretch between two stations. Or so I thought, because in the game itself there's a five kilometer discrepancy between the real length and MSTS, and that's way too much. I have sincerely no idea how to deal with this issue. Laying the track according to Google's imagery will result with what I described here, then doing so in accordance with MSTS length will not match what's on the terrain texture.

I'd really like to know how to do something about it because I've invested so much time and work in this project (original 3D models with photo-realistic textures taken from prototypes) that I don't wanna abandon it.

Quote Originally Posted by Preki View Post
    I wanted to make this thread on TSRE5's own board, but since I get very few replies there...
    Hi...

LOL - I know the feeling...

Regards,
    Scott

5km of difference over a 15km stretch in what I assume is Poland? That's insane, even for the horribly skewed world of the MSTS tile system. Probably you'll have to just model it based on what MSTS thinks a kilometer is. I shouldn't think your buildings would be affected, but the track monitor will be cluttered with unusually close mileposts. I know I've got some long and short miles to make the locations work on my route projects

Japan is one of the worst affected regions. I reflected the other week, that a tramway that had a 90 degree intersection/crossing in MSTS world was something like 25deg/155deg. In other words, horribly skewed.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by Preki View Post

I moved one of my routes onto what seems to be correct co-ordinates and used the Google Earth imagery as TERRTEX along the route to make track laying an easier task. So far I managed to (re)build a 15-kilometer stretch between two stations. Or so I thought, because in the game itself there's a five kilometer discrepancy between the real length and MSTS, and that's way too much. I have sincerely no idea how to deal with this issue. Laying the track according to Google's imagery will result with what I described here, then doing so in accordance with MSTS length will not match what's on the terrain texture.

I'd really like to know how to do something about it because I've invested so much time and work in this project (original 3D models with photo-realistic textures taken from prototypes) that I don't wanna abandon it.
    Don't know if you have seen this

http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind...ap-projection/

Perhaps you can reach out to Goku to assist.

The further north you get, the worse the skew...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...jection_SW.jpg

So for the past few months I've been building the route further to the east of Siedlce (the starting point) up until the town of Platerów. I made a test activity and the game shows a distance of 46 kilometers, where there should be 43, that's a lot of difference. I'm really tempted to use that new TSRE projection but at the same time I'm afraid I will have to rebuild all the infrastructure in Siedlce yet once again, and that's something I might give up at, even though this route is my dream project I've been working on for years.

All this seems strange to me. I have never done any foreign line routes except two in South America that I am piddling
    with in between sessions on the Virginian. The only discrepancy I have noticed is similar to this----. When I started to
    finish out Don Karch's mega Colorado route, starting east from Parlin, CO, I noticed that his markers were offset about
    200 meters north from obvious roadbed locations seen on Google earth. Of course, I had to match his terrain as well,
    so my solution was to use the utility in DEMEX to offset my new markers. This worked fine. I have never noticed a
    significant length discrepancy, although it can be disconcerting to flip back and forth between RE and either MSTS or
    ORTS and realize that there is a large scale factor difference between the operating software and the editor.

J. H. Sullivan
    (landnrailroader)

Preki,
    Don't get hung up on the discrepancy. Users of the route will never know. My route is also off by about 3 miles over an 80+ mile length.
    Chris
    "True rail fans have two favorite railroads. The B&O and one other."

Goku's terrain proejection does appear to work - I generated tiles for the Hisatsu Line and the terrain looked a lot more...realistic...than the original Kuju mess