Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make activities in Open Rails?

Default How to make activities in Open Rails?

I just purchased an Open Rails only route from Trainsimulations, the new CN Ruel Subdivision Route, but thus far haven't found a program where I can create my own activities. I've tried MSTS Editor and Tools, shuts down immediately, a conflict with the downloaded route I guess. Any help would be appreciated.

You pretty much need to stick with the new generation of tools, TSRE for activity and consist editors and TrackViewer for path creation. The old tools are going to balk on the DDS textures and the apparent new habit of Trainsimulations to exceed the traditional 30 character limit for freight car names and rolling stock folder names. TSRE development has a habit of going quiet on occasion, as there are bug fixes now waiting for about a month and a half.

I have the same experience with docnty about trying to create the activities in MSTS Editor and Tools. As geepster775 suggested that we have to use TSRE for activity also consist editors and TrackViewer for path creation. Right now I am learning to create my actiivities to see if I can or not with the new program from TSRE also TrackViewer from Open Rails too.

John

I already have TSRE, have been using it for my consists, but don't see anywhere to create activities, don't see Trackviewer either, I will keep searching I guess... :'(

Do you have the manual for TSRE? You will be able to find the information about create activities in the manual. Now about TrackViewer -- did you look in Options Menu then Tools then TrackViewer (contributed) inside the program of Open Rails?

John

A couple of comments: Goku's TSRE has some really nice features for activity creation that MSTS never had, but TSRE is still kind of wonky and counter-intuitive in some respects. As noted, the Ruel Sub uses .dds textures, so using the MSTS Route Editor for it is out. I use Goku's Consist Editor more and more, but Conbuilder is still nice to build a quick consist. Conbuilder will not display shape files that use .dds textures, so that pretty much dictates using Goku's consist editor if you want to preview the shape file of the newer stuff out there that uses .dds textures.

Now, the TrackViewer option in OpenRails is great! Building paths is a breeze and I never use MSTS for that, anymore.

Thanks everyone for your help, I will try and figure things out here in OR and TSRE, I've already tried the Trackviewer a lil bit building a path in the the new Ruel route by TrainSimulations, but nowhere's as easy as MSTS, very confusing indeed thus far... Shall keep fighting with this new way of making activities...

I've now figured out Trackviewer as of last night before I just seen your post, thank you, and thank you for the link, I shall bookmark it, now to try and figure out the activity maker in TSRE, I have been using the consist builder, and it works quite nicely, but didn't realize until in here reading in the comments there was an activity creator, so I need to figure it out, firstly will be reading the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by docnty View Post
    I already have TSRE, have been using it for my consists, but don't see anywhere to create activities, don't see Trackviewer either, I will keep searching I guess... :'(
    Is there a quick tute on how to use TSRE for building consists?
    Last edited by Blick Fang; 08-22-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: want replies emailed