Thread: set up difficulties

Default set up difficulties

I finally bit the bait, and installed OR, v 1.3.1, as I understand it, the last XP compatible version. Install was simple, and it appears the MSTS content came along.....all my routes showed up, etc. When I attempted to make a run, I discovered the raildriver was not functional/active. Following OR installation manual instructions, or so I thought, I copied/pasted the calibration folder to MSTS, and I made another attempt to make a run, and RD still was not "connected".

Not sure where I made my error, "they" said it would be so easy.

AA

Today, I did the full RD calibration and folder copy/paste to the main MSTS folder, and got the same result.....OR does not recognize the RD, but keyboard controls do seem to be operative.......not so good for me, one who requires RD to run the sim. I had the manual on-screen so as to follow instructions exactly.....or so I thought. One could easily get frustrated at this point.

I'd hate to think that this is the factor that will prevent me from delving into OR.

AA

Quote Originally Posted by agentatascadero View Post
    Today, I did the full RD calibration and folder copy/paste to the main MSTS folder, and got the same result.....OR does not recognize the RD, but keyboard controls do seem to be operative.......not so good for me, one who requires RD to run the sim. I had the manual on-screen so as to follow instructions exactly.....or so I thought. One could easily get frustrated at this point.

I'd hate to think that this is the factor that will prevent me from delving into OR.

AA
    I'm troubled by the use of the term "MSTS folder" ....as MSTS has nothing whatsoever to do with OR.
    So I hope you are referring to an MSTS installation like I have in screenshot #1. (installation also refers to mini-route, etc)
    All you need is one file >> the ModernCalibration.rdm file and that is placed as you see in the screenshot.

If you have a pure OR profile, mini-route, or installation ( and you can have an many as you want, named whatever you want ) the "rdm" file is placed as shown in screenshot #2.

When the OR simulation finally loads you must turn on or engage RD by pressing the Run/Stop button, the speed should change from "---" to "0.0" or the correct speed.

But before all that you should follow the calibration procedure laid out in the manual that comes in the installation package for the most recent stable version ( 1.3.1 ) found on the left hand side of the page here >>> http://openrails.org/download/program/

Follow the calibration instructions (in the manual I have, they start on page16): you begin by copying and pasting certain files from your RD software folder into a new RDCalibration folder. Do the calibration, copy and paste the new rdm file into it's proper place and then let's see what happens.
    Regards, Gerry

screenshot #1 >>> bandicam 2019-08-01 18-37-09-785.jpg

screenshot #2 >>> bandicam 2019-08-01 18-36-29-568.jpg

...and finally, if you've already done everything exactly as laid out above, then I'm gonna need some more info.
    Last edited by R. Steele; 08-01-2019 at 09:52 PM.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Gerry, Thanks for your reply....I did follow instructions on "page 16" for use of RD with OR. About MSTS...after failure of RD to work with OR, I recalibrated again, checked the copy/paste of the "RD calibration" file....all well there, the recalibration file went to MSTS OK. I had previously copy/pasted the whole "RD calibration" folder into the main MSTS folder....as I was to do with the recalibration FILE. When I realized that error, I deleted the folder, while leaving the file properly in place....I did verify it's placement.

I then fired up OR again, and RD went active....sort of.....at a standing stop, it shows 5.0 MPH, odd, eh? Horn works, Reverser, throttle, brake levers functional.....but at hugely delayed responses, in the tens of seconds or more. It appears that all the buttons/controls at the bottom of the RD are inoperative.

Still a work in progress, I guess.....What I've experienced so far just cannot be normal for OR.

Stan

Quote Originally Posted by agentatascadero View Post
    Gerry, Thanks for your reply....I did follow instructions on "page 16" for use of RD with OR. About MSTS...after failure of RD to work with OR, I recalibrated again, checked the copy/paste of the "RD calibration" file....all well there, the recalibration file went to MSTS OK. I had previously copy/pasted the whole "RD calibration" folder into the main MSTS folder....as I was to do with the recalibration FILE. When I realized that error, I deleted the folder, while leaving the file properly in place....I did verify it's placement.

I then fired up OR again, and RD went active....sort of.....at a standing stop, it shows 5.0 MPH, odd, eh? Horn works, Reverser, throttle, brake levers functional.....but at hugely delayed responses, in the tens of seconds or more. It appears that all the buttons/controls at the bottom of the RD are inoperative.

Still a work in progress, I guess.....What I've experienced so far just cannot be normal for OR.

Stan
    No, not normal, in my experience. Others, especially the folks that are using "perpetualkids" RD version of OR are reporting much better functioning of RD in OR.
    Try this thread at ET: http://www.elvastower.com/forums/ind..._1#entry243583

Does, OR work okay using the keyboard? I know you don't use the keyboard, but if OR runs as expected, just not with RD, then perhaps posting in the above thread would provide a solution. That's sort of cutting edge for RD use in OR.
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

Perpetualkid's modified version is based on the Monogame build of OR -- which may not work under Windows XP.

The default RailDriver implementation in Open Rails is has laggy/rubber-band-like response to the controls even on a very fast computer. Part of it is due to how all control inputs (including keyboard) are scanned relative to the frame rate at which the sim is running. (It doesn't really scan fast enough, but it's a compromise to preserve performance of the simulation.) Low frame rates will lead to sluggish response. It's not a big deal with the keyboard, but the additional processing needed for the RailDriver may be the straw that breaks the camel's back if frame rates are too low.

Open Rails requires a stronger computer than MSTS does. If the overall performance of Open Rails (just with keyboard controls) is lower than MSTS on the same machine -- lower frame rates, slower control response -- then it might be that you're just on the edge of useability with that particular PC and OR.

That being said, there's something else to watch out for. Open Rails looks for the file "ModernCalibration.rdm" that you created inside of the folder where TRAIN.EXE is in MSTS, which is also where it's looking for the TRAINS, GLOBAL, SOUND, ROUTES, etc. folders. The "catch" is that OR can look inside more than just one MSTS folder. SO if you have mini-routes or more than one MSTS install, and are running one of those routes in OR because you pointed it to that one as an "Installation Profile" -- then that one also needs a copy of "ModernCalibration.rdm". Make sure you copy your same "ModernCaibration.rdm" file to each folder you have that contains TRAIN.EXE so that OR finds it when it runs any route in any MSTS install.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Thanks guys.....I'll follow your suggestions, including running OR from the keyboard. It'll be a few days, but I'll report back on my results.

If my computer is too "weak", would there be any indication to try an earlier version of OR......I installed 1.3.1, I think it is.....said to be the last v possible for an XP machine?

Stan