Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ac4400 - canadian pacific - base package - searchlight simulations

There's also a bit of angst apparently about additional phone home DRM for the product. I know the guys want to protect their property which is fair enough, but then why not just sell it through Steam?!

In any event I would probably be more keen to buy a classic CP or VIA Rail liveried "Canadian" consist from the 1970's/1980's with some F units rather than yet another freight loco, to run over this route.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    There's also a bit of angst apparently about additional phone home DRM for the product. I know the guys want to protect their property which is fair enough, but then why not just sell it through Steam?!

In any event I would probably be more keen to buy a classic CP or VIA Rail liveried "Canadian" consist from the 1970's/1980's with some F units rather than yet another freight loco, to run over this route.

They just posted a heart wrenching post about ceasing further development.
    In reference to the quoted text, between steam and dovetail, the cut they take is 65%, which is a lot.

Just like the mafia -

You need to pay us 65% to be in the concrete business and access "our customer lists" or else your office building may mysteriously burn down some night.

All the more sad when the "hard core train simulator" genre and the mafia's "console customer base" could never be greater polar opposites. God speed to the simulators that still hang in there avoiding Steam.

That said, there was something else that wasn't quite right. A good 5 years development time and $40 is what most of us pay for an entire route with 100+ rolling assets, with a good 25% of said rolling assets brand new. Investing that time and paying that price for one locomotive model that ended up beyond any simulator's capabilities was never going to pay off in the long run. As with model railroading today, users with lots of investment-related disposable income were pretty much the only people who could contemplate $40 per model.

No doubt, this guy raised the bar in defining what is possible for all future sims. I hope he takes comfort in our acknowledgement of that as he sifts through the smoldering rubble of what was his office building.

I read elsewhere on his facebook page that in justifying the price it was more or less equated to a brass model. That may be true given the actual product offered, but I thought most simmers left model railroading and came over to simming for a more comprehensive experience rather than just the thrill and excitement of collecting high detailed brass models.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I read elsewhere on his facebook page that in justifying the price it was more or less equated to a brass model......
    That doesn't work and hasn't worked since the dawn of computer gaming.
    A brass model is a tangible thing. A computer model is an assembly of ones and zeros, essentially.
    Anyone who has collected anything outside a computer program understands the difference.

As an ex-model railway person, I left that hobby for two reasons.
    One was cost and the other was space.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

I just got back to train simming from flight sims, and $35 doesn't get you very much plane over there. This level of detail would be $60-90 for a plane. So it was a real easy buy for me.

35% back to the developer is around par for the course. I can't recall the exact figure now and there's probably an arcane NDA somewhere that prevents me from going into detail, but when I did the Cambrian MSTS route for 3DTS all those years ago that was roughly what came back to the developer. Split that 7 or 8 ways between those involved and no one is opening a Cayman bank account or buying a Porsche, maybe a couple of pints of Doom Bar in Wetherspoons...

This is why TBH, investing serious time and money developing payware for a small section of the audience in a niche hobby just isn't worth it. Do it out of love of the prototype, the satisfaction of creating and share it as freeware.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by MuldoonX9 View Post

They just posted a heart wrenching post about ceasing further development.
    In reference to the quoted text, between steam and dovetail, the cut they take is 65%, which is a lot.
    Yes, it is a great pity that Kevin and the Searchlight team won't carry on, but, if they hadn't have made the price so expensive it would have sold more units. If DTG can sell 1 loco on Steam for around $10, then, this particular model with all the bells and whistles should have been offered for around $20-25, the current exchange rate is just about 1.15 Pounds to the Dollar, and 1 Pound to the Euro, I'm sure that plenty of fans would have opted for this value. The other thing is that they placed restrictions on playing with this model, ONLY to be used in 64-bit, etc, etc, which placed heavy restrictions on sales as well, it wasn't very well planned really, if their business acumen was as good as their creative skills they would have been on to a winner.

Cheerz. Steve.
    i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.

Plus as noted previously not being able to save and resume a run due to the extended scripting. What part of, "This ain't going to appeal to the average player", went over their heads!?

Most route packs go for less than what they were asking and, when all is said and done, it's just a better version of a generic US loco that already exists elsewhere in the sim.
    Vern.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernWarrior View Post
    ....it's just a better version of a generic US loco that already exists elsewhere in the sim.
    Good point, Vern.
    Maybe if, as Steve says, the price had been half of that for which it was offered and it had been a different type then it would have sold more units.

Different?
    The M636 (a version of the C636) by Alco comes immediately to mind.
    The loco could have been reskinned for not only some USA railroads but also for Hamersley Iron, etc., thereby widening the appeal.

Montreal Locomotive Works produced a M636 variant of the C636 on Dofasco trucks for Canadian Pacific Railway and Canadian National Railway. This was also built in Australia for Hamersley Iron, Mount Newman Mining and Robe River Mining.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0