Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Train / Consist / Locomotive for Surfliner

Default Train / Consist / Locomotive for Surfliner

hi all, just got the Surfliner route but a surprised to jump into the default Dash-9.

what would be a good locomotive or train set to use? the 3dts model seems to be relatively dated... would the Amtrak from the Trainsimulations Seligman be a good alternative?

Thanks!

The 3D Trains sets are still the most accurate/detailed versions of dedicated Surfliner equipment for Amtrak. Surfliner bi-level cars are different from Amtrak's regular Superliner cars. That being said, if you search the Microsoft Train Simulator: Passenger Cars section of the File Library for "Surfliner", you'll find a few options. Take your pick of what looks most acceptable to you.

There aren't any freeware F59PHIs that I can find. There is a repaint of the freeware F40PH from NALW, which includes links to the original locomotive and patch files required.

Don't bother with any repaints requiring the "FPM" or "Facing Point" Surfliner. Those relay on the ancient and far less detailed payware route which isn't available. Many of those repaints can also work with the 3D Trains payware equipment -- but of course they still depend on the payware sets.

There are other Metrolink locomotives and trainsets in the forum, although some may be repaints of other things, so there can be dependencies to deal with.

Like many freeware routes, activities included with the Surfliner route use default equipment so that users can jump in and try the activities without having to hunt down freeware or purchase payware equipment.

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Hi Eric,
    There aren't any freeware F59PHIs that I can find

I may be barking up the completely wrong tree, but how about Paul Burton's F59PHI - f59phiv1.zip I know it was created many years ago, but there are several re-skins of it in the library.

Cheers,
    Ged

Thanks for the help will take a look!

Free your spirit, throw off the shackles of mundane reality, it's your own railroad, run whatever feels good to you!! For pete's sake, it's a virtual world, who's gonna know any different.

I know, I know, not helpful ( at least not in the normal sense of the word ) but actually very good advice, -- IIDSSM*

(* If I Do Say So Myself)
    Cheers, R. Steele [Gerry] It's my railroad and I'll do what I want! Historically accurate attitude of US Railroad Barons.

I should have said Surfliner painted F59PHIs...

And nowadays, There's probably all kinds of Amtrak power running on that line by now. And the Cascades train runs on that line, too.

I think the OP was looking for equivalents/substitutions to the 3D Trains original Surfliner set -- which comes up a little scarce. But there's lots of other Amtrak, and over here on the "Right Coast" I'm a little out of touch as to what's running out on the "Left Coast"...

MSTS-Roundhouse

With Open Rails and ZDSimulator
    Info

Quote Originally Posted by EricF View Post
    …………………….

I think the OP was looking for equivalents/substitutions to the 3D Trains original Surfliner set -- which comes up a little scarce. ...………………………………………
    The Surfliner locos and cars are available here http://www.3dtrains.com/products/ts/...urfliner.shtml
    Charles

I am also away from that West Coast, here in central Canada, so when I need or want something that is out there, I use You-Tube and search what I am looking for, eg: Surfliner - Los Angeles and get enough info on what is running and what the time-line is.

I found it interesting to the variety of equipment used on any given train, almost like the PC/NYC/CR Transition era with differing paint jobs as well as equipment, on a much smaller scale however. They even had a portion of our GO Transit Fleet running out there. Take a look CP747 and you may be surprised and pleased. Then use some of the equipment in the F/L to fill out a couple of trainsets.

Appreciate the pointers from everyone.
    Yes was looking for an alternative to the 3dts model since it seemed quite old. For now I have just substituted trains from the Trainsimulations Amtrak Chief. I just learned about the Surfliner route and it's been quite fun for the hour or so I've gone through so far.

Quote Originally Posted by cp747 View Post
    Appreciate the pointers from everyone.
    Yes was looking for an alternative to the 3dts model since it seemed quite old. For now I have just substituted trains from the Trainsimulations Amtrak Chief. I just learned about the Surfliner route and it's been quite fun for the hour or so I've gone through so far.
    The Surfliner trainsets were created by 3DTrains NOT 3dts (3dTrainStuff).

Yes, the trainsets were crested in 2007 BUT their quality was years ahead of what was being created in 2007.
    Charles