Thread: If your PC is crashing........

Default If your PC is crashing........

.........when running high-intensity graphics then do what I did this morning:

When playing a particular game, over the past several days, my PC has been crashing to black screen and a BIOS restart.
    As soon as Windows fires up I have been checking the CPU and GPU temps and also the operation of the fans by the use of a little software program.

The fans have been operating fine....spinning at their correct revs, according to the readout.
    In every instance the GPU has a warning flag against it (a flame, in red) and a temp readout of ~58 degrees C....also in red.
    Also the CPU has been showing higher temps than one would normally expect....in the region of ~40 degrees C and up.

So this morning I disassembled the case, took out the P/Supply, the GPU card (GeForce) and the gigantic heatsink and fan on the CPU.
    And then I removed four years and about three tonnes worth of dust and crud from the heatsinks, the fan blades, the inlet grille on the P/S, and every other place where dust had been deposited on the M/Bd and peripherals.

I reassembled the thing, powered it up and spent about 30 minutes playing that same graphics-hungry game then exited to Desktop and checked the temp monitor.

I could not believe my eyes.
    GPU temp had halved.....28 degrees C.
    CPU temp had dropped to 24 degrees C.
    P/Supply fan speed had increased by ~150 rpm and there was actually air flowing through the P/S case and also through the PC case.

So, if you are suffering oddball crashes to BIOS restart then before randomly blaming something, remove the dust buildup so that the heatsinks and fans are able to effectively do their jobs.
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

Yup i need to do mine Bruce, trucksims run fine but when TS2019 was on here. I was getting the BSOD message and auto restarts, quite a lot.

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

I was staggered by the amount of crud which was obviously stopping airflow.....completely, I'd say, Mike.
    A LOT of accumulation over four years (the last time it was stripped, when I fitted a new GeForce card).
    IBM XT i386; 512Kb RAM; 5.25" FDD; 1.4Mb FDD; 5Mb HDD; VGA 256-colour graphics card; AdLib soundcard; DR DOS 6.0; Windows 3.0

The local computer shop told me one day that to clean computers, they take them out on the sidewalk, open them up, and turn a leaf blower loose on it. Surprisingly, it doesn't damage anything

Quote Originally Posted by seagoon View Post
    I was staggered by the amount of crud which was obviously stopping airflow.....completely, I'd say, Mike.
    A LOT of accumulation over four years (the last time it was stripped, when I fitted a new GeForce card).
    Must be about 3 yrs here Bruce. When i fitted my GTX 1070, probably caked.

That sounds like a plan ebnertra000

Mike.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt

Quote Originally Posted by ebnertra000 View Post
    The local computer shop told me one day that to clean computers, they take them out on the sidewalk, open them up, and turn a leaf blower loose on it. Surprisingly, it doesn't damage anything
    Yep......very similar to what I used to do when in the IT business; I'd use the hose attached to the blower outlet of the vacuum cleaner.

I also heard about problems of PC due to dust, during my schooling one school computer quite often showed BSOD, informatics teacher decided to disassemble PC - there was a huge amount of dust, after dust removing the problems are over.

I can talk about another unexpected reason of PC problems - computer of one of my friend became spontaneous reboots, he decided to reinstall Windows, but reinstalling also ended due to unexpected reboot. However, he guessed abot the reason - low voltage in an electric network - 180-190 volts (in Russia normal voltage in household electricity is 220 volts), he added additional stabilizer - the problem was solved.

Problems with dust reminded me about old Soviet TV-recievers - one of their main problems was tendency to overheating which increased fire hazard. Many people every month removed the back cover and cleaned insides of TV-reciever, dust seriously raises fire hazard. Also not recommended turn on TV-reciever more than 3-4 hours, due to danger of overheating. During the sign off of Soviet television (also on the Russian TV-channels in 1990s after USSR collapse) necessarily showing the inscription "Don't forget turn off your TV-reciever!" with loud sound to wake up the asleep viewers, real sign off in 1989 year, this inscription on the 3:50: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3-_v_B_tQ

In 1980s my uncle was witness of fire in TV-reciever. He already turned off TV, but in five minutes he saw fire inside the TV, water bucket could solve the problem. Sometimes among the cause of fire may be power surge In electric network, even old TV-set (but if TV-set is not turned off from electric socket) is off.
    Vladislav